Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota dyna

• 25-12-2009 11:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

what are these like. just looking at a 1999 one which is very well kept. all i want it for is to pull the ivor williams now and again. are they dangerous at high speeds eg 120kph.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

the travellers seem to be fond of them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They were commonly used for lugging around bags of coal, peat briquettes, gas bottles and horse boxes. They were also common among the travelling community They are very reliable and take some amount of abuse so if you found a good clean one then it should be a good buy at the right price. Just check for usual signs of abuse to the bodywork, clutch, engine and gearbox.

Fair juice to you if you can get one to do 120kph. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Based on the old Hiace with motor under seat, little protection in the cab, lethal in a front end collision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Be careful where you go and who you buy off!
    As mentioned so far, they are popular with certain types.
    Very very popular in Limerick. OK, obviously legitimate businesses use them too, but if you see one in Limerick you know what to expect...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

My brother has a 98 in good nick, will do 120 absolutely flat out, downhill with a very strong tailwind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

have one at work they are indestructable , what a pity , they are a good workhorse ,
    BUT
    horrendouse even going around a round a bout feels lik it will topple over
    max speed about 65mph and thats terrifieing
    rear wheel drive , but noo weight over rear wheels so slippy even in hot days if wet
    your DEAD if you ever crash it
    massive steering wheel like driving an old bus
    i doubt they would be good for towing unless you keep a serious weight in the back of it the wheels will just slip

ps i know there are loads of spelling mistakes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

langdang wrote: »
    Be careful where you go and who you buy off!
    As mentioned so far, they are popular with certain types.
    Very very popular in Limerick. OK, obviously legitimate businesses use them too, but if you see one in Limerick you know what to expect...

Please spare the daft generalizations, Dynas were popular up and down the country at one time or another. Thats like saying don't buy anything with a DL reg because it was most likely been in a ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

very popular as a workshop truck , low cost bulletproof reliability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good machine, old 2.4d engine is bulletproof. aerodynamics and handling of a wardrobe. unless you need a pickup buy an older 4WD jeep instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

davy_b wrote: »
    rear wheel drive , but noo weight over rear wheels so slippy even in hot days if wet

i doubt they would be good for towing unless you keep a serious weight in the back of it the wheels will just slip

ps i know there are loads of spelling mistakes :P

Having been a passenger in one that was towing a loaded car transporter, I would not recommend one for towing, except if you've a tonne of sand in the back. It was a disaster on slippery surfaces. There was no traction!

However, the lack of weight makes it fun to drive empty, but there is lots of turning of the big steering wheel needed to catch the oversteer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement