Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3GS - Pre Pay questions

Options
  • 25-12-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was lucky enough today to get a present of an iPhone 3GS on O2 pre-pay. I just have a couple of queries.
    1. I am currently on Meteor pre-pay so if I put my current SIM card in the iPhone would I then be able to use the iPhone as my Meteor phone?
    2. Is the iPhone locked to the O2 network. Should I just ring O2 and get my number transferred and use the iPhone on the O2 network?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

you will have to transfer your number to o2 or try get it unlocked somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Thanks I moved my number to O2 earlier today. Only problem is now that the iPhone says that the SIM card is not supported in this iPhone. I will drop into an O2 store tomorrow hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Drop into an O2 store tomorrow and they'll replace the SIM and put you on the network. Takes about two hours to gain a signal but then you'll be sorted.

Free credit for a few months as well if you top up by 20 yoyos they throw you an extra 5, plus you get a new phone under a hundred quid in August too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

You dont have to use it with O2. You can jailbreak and unlock it with blackrain and use it on Meteor if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Thanks for the replies.

It is all sorted now. I've decided to stick with O2. I don't mind changing network too much. Anyway O2 might unlock all iPhones in 2010 with the other networks being able to sell them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

It is all sorted now. I've decided to stick with O2. I don't mind changing network too much. Anyway O2 might unlock all iPhones in 2010 with the other networks being able to sell them.

Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

O2 uk != O2 ie.

despite operating under the same name are totally different companies.

Suffice to say I'm in the business. Nothing will be unlocked. ;)

As for undercutting the opposition to keep customers, that's another story :P

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yeah im quite aware of that, but still, once O2 IRL loose the exclusive deal (which they have already), they should start to issue unlock codes like they do with normal phones.

But they don't unlock phones in the circumstance you described. An unlock code will only be issued if it's more than 12-18 months since it was purchased except in circumstances where O2 can see the spend on the account is fairly high in which case they'll bring it forward. It's the same practice with all four companies. They're not going to start unlocking phones willy nilly, no matter how good it would be for the consumer. Fact is the companies all LOSE money on most handsets, including the iphone. The cash is made back through contracts or credit.

Either way, an iPhone CANNOT be unlocked by O2. That's regardless of tenure or spend, or WWIII for that matter. It's a restriction imposed by Apple, not by O2.

Advertisement