Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A question about blu ray?

• 25-12-2009 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey guys total noob here.I'm just wondering what's the difference between blu-ray and dvd.I know Blu-ray gives you a better picture(that's all i know) but is it much better then dvd quality.I ask because i bought the Ultimate Rambo collection boxset last week for €15 on dvd in Hmv and the exact same box set was €75 on blu ray.I know blu-ray is new technology so its gonna be expensive but is it that much better of a viewing experience to watch a movie in blu-ray?Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

From the little blu-ray experience I have had, it is much better in terms of picture quality and because the disk has more space, they can put more extras etc. on it than they could with a DVD, although I still don't think its worth the massive price difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

blue ray has sharper pictures and what not but you need a HD tv so its affective me thinks!! i agree its not worth the extra expense unless your a mas movie buff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the picture & sound from bluray is vastly superior to dvd, if you have the right gear to watch it on! i believe blu ray is worth a few quid more over the dvd, but €15 vs €75?! thats too much more, the same collection can be bought from amazon.co.uk on blu ray for £30 (about €40 inc postgae) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rambo-Ultimate-Collection-Brian-Dennehy/dp/B0018SHULU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261829318&sr=8-1

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭andy1249

As usual in this country the rip off merchants are in full stride , high street prices for blu ray are completely outrageous here , across the border the prices are much less.

Pixar movies in the shops here , 39.99 each , online , about 11.99 each.

Online is the only way to buy blu ray here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

andy1249 wrote: »
    As usual in this country the rip off merchants are in full stride , high street prices for blu ray are completely outrageous here , across the border the prices are much less.

Pixar movies in the shops here , 39.99 each , online , about 11.99 each.

Online is the only way to buy blu ray here.

I have to say I disagree with you, I have bought many movies here, and with the exception one, paid "full price" and that was Cars (pixar) when I wanted a demo BR to show off the system. At that I paid €22.99 in Golden Discs.

The 2 for €30 deals are the way to go in the shops, and I noticed new releases were at most €25 before Christmas.

• Advertisement

i think blu ray prices in this have fallen to very competitive prices. what i have noticed is that some of the earlier blu rays that some places still have in stock are at the old expensive prices. they havent moved them down. like i was looking at the 1st harry potter and it was 37.99 in hmv! i remember at the start when blus were 37.99!!

good value example - harry potter & deathly hallows new release was €21.99 in hmv for the triple pack (blu, dvd & digital copy). great value. tesco & tower records had the same on DVD only for 19.99. also the harry potter 1-6 boxset was £40 plus shipping from amazon.co.uk and it was €49.95 in hmv, great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

big_moe wrote: »
    ... i was looking at the 1st harry potter ...
    ... harry potter & deathly hallows...
    ...harry potter 1-6 boxset...
    <nelson>

* points * Haa haa

</nelson>

:D Bit of a Harry thing going on there?

ah ya gotta love a bitta harry potter! great workout for d'aul AV system as well!!

Advertisement