Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €250 build!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What is it you are planning to use the server for? If it's just going to be a file server then just find some old piece of **** and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

It's gonna be a file server, but I see no point in it being solely that.

I want to mess around with a few operating systems and possibly run some VMs on it too. Also I want to keep my college work (Programming, etc) separate from the family PC, as my brother has a habit of corrupting boot sectors every time he touches a keyboard.

So having all shared the files accessible from the new PC (avoiding little brother probs), and keeping the rest of it for Virtualbox, etc, would be ideal. It also means I could try Linux long term on a pc that's actually worth a damn ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

2 gigs of ram...forget about VM then....you need 4gb at least...you could run one but it's not worth it...up it to 4gb..dirt cheap anyway
    on my laptop I run a couple of VMs and I've 16gb in that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Suppose I could.

That would raise it to around 300...

Seen any good deals on a 4Gb set? (Preferably 1333 or 1600. On that note, what real difference do the CL7 / CL8 / CL9 timings make anyway? Probably not something to worry about too much in a budget as low as this ^^)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

• Advertisement
Advertisement