Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious question about mobile broadband

• 26-12-2009 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I use o2 mobile broadband as a secondary source of broadband...like when I'm away etc...

I was wondering why there's never been a phone that has the capability to hook up the usb dongle to the phone and use the mobile broadband on the phone??

For example, with the likes of the N900 and its internet capabilities...it would be savage to have the likes of o2 broadband with you and just hook up the usb into the usb port on the device(if it had one)

Anyone else think this could be seen in the future?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There is no real point. Phones use the exact same protocol as the usb modems. It would be like connecting your wifi enabled mobile to your laptop and using the phones wifi connection for internet instead of the laptops wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Yeah no point. Vodafone already allow you to add broadband to your phone account; you can use the full HSDPA access and 10GB/month allowance for the €25 or so extra month.

If you plug the phone into a USB port, you can connect the laptop to it as well, through the phone. If you then upgrade to VOdafone Europe, you get the 10GB HSDPA on your account in (quoting vodafone's site here) "Albania, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain and the UK.".

I am not sure about O2, but the Vodafone Data roaming is an amazing package really as it is only around €15 on top of the basic €25. The 3.5G access does get flaky in places but I had no trouble playing ETN.fm streaming internet radio for a few hours at AAC (48kbit/sec). Translates to around 21MB per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

I see that point, and I understand. But what about customers who don't want a bill contract? Should be a deal out there regarding a data plan for PAYG players :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ya i was wondering the exact same thing i think someone brought up something about 3 pay as you go broadband awhile back but cannot remember squat about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

ya i was wondering the exact same thing i think someone brought up something about 3 pay as you go broadband awhile back but cannot remember squat about it

If you change your mobile to one of the modems using My3 via Planet3 then the 3pay mobile internet add on's are available and you can use your phone as a modem (provided it's HSDPA)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Would it improve your reception buying the mobile broadband and using it n your phone instead of the mobile internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Nowso wrote: »
    Would it improve your reception buying the mobile broadband and using it n your phone instead of the mobile internet?

tbh i just would like to have PAYG internet. But since I'm with o2 and too scared to change networks i'll just have to stay put.

Advertisement