Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scratched games

• 26-12-2009 3:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭

I got the new forza 3 yesterday and today whatever way i lifted the console with the game in it, it made a noise and then it came up on the screen that the game was unreadable. i took it out and the is a scratch the whole way around it and it wont work. any way that this can be fixed or will i have to buy a new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

lukiej wrote: »
    I got the new forza 3 yesterday and today whatever way i lifted the console with the game in it, it made a noise and then it came up on the screen that the game was unreadable. i took it out and the is a scratch the whole way around it and it wont work. any way that this can be fixed or will i have to buy a new one?

think smyths do a cd repair for a couple of euro.although it could stil be fubarred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I saw a scratch polishing gadget in A Dunnes supermarket a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Don't buy those things. They do the same job as if you wipe toothpaste over the surface of the scratched area. Then clean it up with a damp cloth. If it doesn't work, chances are those kits won't work either.

Best way to fix this problem (I had it with forza 2 last year) is to get a loan of a friends copy or rent one for a day (xtra-vision do half-day rentals too, they're not advertised though) and install it to the HD. The 360 will still recognise your disk but boot into the HD install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Don't buy those things. They do the same job as if you wipe toothpaste over the surface of the scratched area. Then clean it up with a damp cloth. If it doesn't work, chances are those kits won't work either.

Best way to fix this problem (I had it with forza 2 last year) is to get a loan of a friends copy or rent one for a day (xtra-vision do half-day rentals too, they're not advertised though) and install it to the HD. The 360 will still recognise your disk but boot into the HD install
    Good fix Batman!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mondo_ie

The same thing happened to me yesterday but with Need For Speed Shift....still plays but think am gonna try pull a fast one, buy it again swap the disc and hopefully even get store credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,218 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Happened to me yesterday :mad:

My sister has an older xbox. I picked up a new copy of Fable 2 for her for christmas.

She said the game wouldn't read. I checked it out there today - nice big circular ring gouged out of the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

Ive had problems with scratched discs before and got them fixed in smyths 5euro and worked perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Ive had problems with scratched discs before and got them fixed in smyths 5euro and worked perfectly

How bad were they though? Were there any deep scratches that were a perfect circle almost?

I suppose it depends how deep the scratch is rather than the shape. I think I heard that Smyths take a layer off the disc itself so the scratch doesn't appear as deep as it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yep same thing I did for my forza 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Worth nothing the the publisher may replace the disc also if all else fails. Noticed in the manual for mass effect 2 that they would replace the disc for £10 if it got damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

One reason for getting an xbox elite. That 60 gig comes in handy for situations like this. course it didn't prevent my disc tray ****ing up complete, but sure what can you do. Don't microsoft cover discs being completely mangled?

OP, you're advised never to move your console while a disc is inside. Destroys the disc completely. Even if it's just to move from one surface to another, just take out disc and move then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Roooooney

The perfect circle scratch literally happened to me with my FIFA about half an hour ago and I like this idea best, Gonna go get the game off a friend in an hour or so and see if it works. One quick question though (don't shoot me down if it's a stupid question considering I'm new to this whole xbox malarkey) but I presume installing the disk to the HD and using a different disk in the xbox won't affect playing on xbox live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Roooooney wrote: »
    The perfect circle scratch literally happened to me with my FIFA about half an hour ago and I like this idea best, Gonna go get the game off a friend in an hour or so and see if it works. One quick question though (don't shoot me down if it's a stupid question considering I'm new to this whole xbox malarkey) but I presume installing the disk to the HD and using a different disk in the xbox won't affect playing on xbox live?

No it should work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Roooooney

Working a charm. Thanks PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Same thing happined to me about 2 weeks ago. I was also moving the console when it happined. Rented it and swapped the disks:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Yeah this happened to my GTA IV
    If the xbox moves while the disc is in it it will take a bite out of it :P

Putting toothpaste isn't a guarantee fix because it just really fills up the cracks on the disc. Something I'd reccomend is if a friend has Forza 3 get him to install it to your xbox HDD :) I Did this with my gta and it worked; saying that it wasn't perfect, some building took a bit of time to load but it's better than nothing and worth a shot as you bought the game yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

I worked in HMV for a while and we had a cleaning machine to take scratches out of discs, doesn't take out the circle scratches ( caused be moving the xbox with game still inside). So I doubt any shop bought cleaners/repair tools will work either.

So best bet is to go with the advice of the other guys and get a copy of a friends to load to the hard drive.

Microsoft repair the circle scractchs for 10 pound, you have to send it away for repair and not sure how long it takes, but maybe worth checking it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

In Smyths we've had some successes with removing these scratches. Mainly depends on how many rings have been made, only one you've a good chance, several and it's a bit harder. Depth of the scratch too makes a big difference. Either way, €3 could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

In my experience, if your 360 is scratching discs then you're best of just getting rid as the disc drive will eventually fail.

Advertisement