Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 Games of the Decade

• 26-12-2009 5:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

I want you each to pick your favourite 5 matches involving the team you support, and then 5 more not involving your team. In order of preference, if possible (i.e. #1 being your favourite). Rather than do a poll, lets just have an open discussion about this. Ill start with mine...

5. Manchester United 5-2 Tottenham
    25th April 2009, Old Trafford, Premier League

Most people will pick our famous 5-3 comeback win after being 3 down against Spurs back in 2001 as one of their favourites. However for me, this was much better - and for that, I have Liverpool to thank. Like them or loathe them, and inevitably among United fans, its the latter - Id like to think that if we had our choice among any team to be pushing us in the title race, it would be Liverpool just for the extra tension and excitement they add because of the sheer velocity of our rivalry. Liverpool had just gone top of the league earlier in the day, and we then found ourselves 2-0 down in no time, and in quick succession too. Queue the second half, dodgy penalty decision given in Michael Carricks favour against his old club, and 14 minutes later, we were 4-2 up. It was magical. The 3rd goal perhaps summed up best how this match made United fans feel. Ronaldo smashed a header into the back of the net after a fantastic cross from Rooney, and his celebration was akin to every United fans celebration that day - it wasnt a "Oh yay! Im Ronaldo, look at me" celebration that we were accustomed to and accepting of at that stage, it was a "Get the F*CK IN THERE!" moment that every United fan replicated, perhaps including celebration de-jerseying, if not the ridiculous torso that lay underneath.

4. Manchester United 7-1 Roma
    10th April 2007, Old Trafford, Champions League

A game forever written into United folklore. The magnitude of this victory was first cast in Rome 6 days earlier, where United were played off the park and more than fortunate to escape with a single goal deficit and an away goal to boot. Roma were an unkown entity to us then (now they come round to visit practically every bloody year), and having played so well in the first leg, we were worried. But it was all pointless, because United started the second leg at a blistering pace and never relented. Everyone was at their best - a magical first goal from Michael Carrick which he followed up with another stunner in the second half, an Alan Smith goal marking his triumphant return from injury, a Wayne Rooney strike after the ball had been in the United box just 14 seconds earlier (every United fan remembers the commentator for that goal, shrieking "Rooneeeeeeeeeeey!"). By United's fourth goal, the first of 2 for Ronaldo, nobody was surprised anymore. It was a case of, "awesome, another goal!", not to mention Ryan Giggs' 4 assists. Very few people would remember that Roma even scored in that game if it wasnt for the iconic photo of the scoreboard afterwards. For a neutral, it may have been incredibly one sided game which took the fun and excitement from the game. But for United fans, we may not see a night of such fun at Old Trafford for as long as we live.

3. Manchester United 1-1 Chelsea (6-5 on Penalties)
    21st May 2008, Luzhniki Stadium, Champions League

Never before have I felt such nerves before a game. I was only 12 when we won the Champions League in '99, so the moment may not have been fully dissolved in me. But this game had me feeling nerves that were unheard of. Heck, I even handed in reports weeks early in university just so I could fully concentrate it. Going up against our new enemy in Chelsea, who had rudely interrupted our game of Pass the Premiership Trophy with Arsenal. The first 90 minutes were hard enough. With Ryan Giggs breaking the appearance record for Manchester United, you just knew you were in for a magical night. And boy were we! Ronaldo putting us 1-0 up with his 42nd goal of the season, Lampard equalising just before half time, Tevez having a glorious chance to add a second, John Terry's heroic clearance of Ryan Giggs goalbound effort, Drogba hitting the post... The 30 minutes of extra time remain a blur mildly interrupted by Drogba getting sent off for having a swipe at Nemanja Vidic. And then...those bastard penalties. Ronaldo missed his, which had us in tears. Then of all people to step up and take what would surely be the winning penalty - John f*cking Terry. But when he hit the post, Im sure I celebrated more than when Van Der Sar saved Anelka's penalty to clinch it! Needless to say, Ronaldo wasnt the only one who broke down in tears following the Dutchman's heroics.

2. Manchester United 4-3 Real Madrid
    23rd April 2003, Old Trafford, Champions League

Never have I been so uninterested by a United loss - not just a loss, but an elimination. What was truly a fantastic advertisement for the game will forever live on in my memory. The world of football got to see who is arguably its finest product take centre stage on a pitch full of galactico's. Ronaldo cemented his World Player of the Year status with a glorious hat trick, but for each goal he scored, United never lost hope, and kept pulling one back in a desperate attempt to keep up with the Brazilian. We were lucky to be still in the tie after being destroyed in Madrid, again lucky enough to have grabbed an away goal - but Raul had done the damage. The night of the second leg started in controversy with Beckham being left on the bench following Bootgate, but ended in a standing ovation for, in my opinion, the greatest player the world has seen, and one of the greatest games of football to go with it.

1. Arsenal 2-4 Manchester United
    1st February 2005, Highbury, Premier League

The daddy of all games I have ever seen. This game wasnt a perfect advertisement for the league - the discipline was something shocking with no reservation in any tackle. It was a miracle that only Mikael Silvestre saw red, but if you didnt mind a bit of red-blooded ferocity, then this was the game for you. It all started in the tunnel before the game, with Keane having to be held back from Patrick Vieira. The fact that both men were captains and long time rivals made it all the more savoury. And then the unthinkable happened. Vieira gave Arsenal the lead. Bastard! Giggs equalised, only for Bergkamp to dazzle his way into the box and smash the ball home. Step forward Cristiano Ronaldo, and two goals in the space of a few minutes put United back on top. And when John O'Shea kicked the ball and it somehow managed to go into the net (you watch his celebration, dont you dare tell me he had a clue what was going on! lol), we were in dreamland. A fantastic game, and the only game I have ever watched in full several times since. To watch a United - Arsenal game these days is a sorry sight in comparison. Sure, we both still have the flair to make it a very entertaining game, but it just lacks the passion and fire embodied in the two tussling captains before that faithful game at Highbury.

Honorable mentions go to Man Utd 2-0 Arsenal (the end of the invincible's run), Tottenham 3-5 Man Utd (from three down to victory in the second half) Man Utd 3-2 Milan (Kaka tearing us apart and Rooney's last minute winner) and Man Utd 6-2 Newcastle (a Paul Scholes hat trick amongst others back in 2003).

My top 5 matches not involving Man Utd, not going into as much detail as I have above, are:

5. Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal (A fantastic game of end-to-end football. Loved it. Champions League, 2008)
    4. Real Madrid 2-6 Barcelona (One of the best team displays of all time. La Liga, 2009)
    3. Real Madrid 0-3 Barcelona (Ronaldinho gets a standing ovation from the Bernabeu. La Liga, 2005)
    2. Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona (Iniesta breaks Chelsea hearts in the last minute. Champions League, 2009)
    1. Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal (Arshavin. 'Nuff said. Premier League, 2009)

Over to you ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

You seem to have forgotten that the greatest Champions League Final, FA Cup Final, and UEFA Cup Final all occured this decade.

Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan 2005
    Liverpool 3-3 West Ham 2006
    Liverpool 4-4 Alaves 2001

Liverpool winning each either on penos or in extra time.

In addition I'm picking 2 cracking games from Euro 2000:

That de Boer freekick has to be one of the best ever scored in an international tournament (le tournoi excluded ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

"Ohhhhhh dose that taste good Sir Alex."

I have never seen a more biased post in all my time of breathing....

Keane some how gets his name mentioned in a game that took place in 2009. Some four years after his retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Archimedes wrote: »
    I want you each to pick your favourite 5 matches involving the team you support, and then 5 more not involving your team. In order of preference, if possible (i.e. #1 being your favourite). Rather than do a poll, lets just have an open discussion about this. Ill start with mine...

5. Manchester United 5-2 Tottenham
    25th April 2009, Old Trafford, Premier League

Most people will pick our famous 5-3 comeback win after being 3 down against Spurs back in 2001 as one of their favourites. However for me, this was much better - and for that, I have Liverpool to thank. Like them or loathe them, and inevitably among United fans, its the latter - Id like to think that if we had our choice among any team to be pushing us in the title race, it would be Liverpool just for the extra tension and excitement they add because of the sheer velocity of our rivalry. Liverpool had just gone top of the league earlier in the day, and we then found ourselves 2-0 down in no time, and in quick succession too. Queue the second half, dodgy penalty decision given in Michael Carricks favour against his old club, and 14 minutes later, we were 4-2 up. It was magical. The 3rd goal perhaps summed up best how this match made United fans feel. Ronaldo smashed a header into the back of the net after a fantastic cross from Rooney, and his celebration was akin to every United fans celebration that day - it wasnt a "Oh yay! Im Ronaldo, look at me" celebration that we were accustomed to and accepting of at that stage, it was a "Get the F*CK IN THERE!" moment that every United fan replicated, perhaps including celebration de-jerseying, if not the ridiculous torso that lay underneath.

4. Manchester United 7-1 Roma
    10th April 2007, Old Trafford, Champions League

A game forever written into United folklore. The magnitude of this victory was first cast in Rome 6 days earlier, where United were played off the park and more than fortunate to escape with a single goal deficit and an away goal to boot. Roma were an unkown entity to us then (now they come round to visit practically every bloody year), and having played so well in the first leg, we were worried. But it was all pointless, because United started the second leg at a blistering pace and never relented. Everyone was at their best - a magical first goal from Michael Carrick which he followed up with another stunner in the second half, an Alan Smith goal marking his triumphant return from injury, a Wayne Rooney strike after the ball had been in the United box just 14 seconds earlier (every United fan remembers the commentator for that goal, shrieking "Rooneeeeeeeeeeey!"). By United's fourth goal, the first of 2 for Ronaldo, nobody was surprised anymore. It was a case of, "awesome, another goal!", not to mention Ryan Giggs' 4 assists. Very few people would remember that Roma even scored in that game if it wasnt for the iconic photo of the scoreboard afterwards. For a neutral, it may have been incredibly one sided game which took the fun and excitement from the game. But for United fans, we may not see a night of such fun at Old Trafford for as long as we live.

3. Manchester United 1-1 Chelsea (6-5 on Penalties)
    21st May 2008, Luzhniki Stadium, Champions League

Never before have I felt such nerves before a game. I was only 12 when we won the Champions League in '99, so the moment may not have been fully dissolved in me. But this game had me feeling nerves that were unheard of. Heck, I even handed in reports weeks early in university just so I could fully concentrate it. Going up against our new enemy in Chelsea, who had rudely interrupted our game of Pass the Premiership Trophy with Arsenal. The first 90 minutes were hard enough. With Ryan Giggs breaking the appearance record for Manchester United, you just knew you were in for a magical night. And boy were we! Ronaldo putting us 1-0 up with his 42nd goal of the season, Lampard equalising just before half time, Tevez having a glorious chance to add a second, John Terry's heroic clearance of Ryan Giggs goalbound effort, Drogba hitting the post... The 30 minutes of extra time remain a blur mildly interrupted by Drogba getting sent off for having a swipe at Nemanja Vidic. And then...those bastard penalties. Ronaldo missed his, which had us in tears. Then of all people to step up and take what would surely be the winning penalty - John f*cking Terry. But when he hit the post, Im sure I celebrated more than when Van Der Sar saved Anelka's penalty to clinch it! Needless to say, Ronaldo wasnt the only one who broke down in tears following the Dutchman's heroics.

2. Manchester United 4-3 Real Madrid
    23rd April 2003, Old Trafford, Champions League

Never have I been so uninterested by a United loss - not just a loss, but an elimination. What was truly a fantastic advertisement for the game will forever live on in my memory. The world of football got to see who is arguably its finest product take centre stage on a pitch full of galactico's. Ronaldo cemented his World Player of the Year status with a glorious hat trick, but for each goal he scored, United never lost hope, and kept pulling one back in a desperate attempt to keep up with the Brazilian. We were lucky to be still in the tie after being destroyed in Madrid, again lucky enough to have grabbed an away goal - but Raul had done the damage. The night of the second leg started in controversy with Beckham being left on the bench following Bootgate, but ended in a standing ovation for, in my opinion, the greatest player the world has seen, and one of the greatest games of football to go with it.

1. Arsenal 2-4 Manchester United
    1st February 2009, Highbury, Premier League

The daddy of all games I have ever seen. This game wasnt a perfect advertisement for the league - the discipline was something shocking with no reservation in any tackle. It was a miracle that only Mikael Silvestre saw red, but if you didnt mind a bit of red-blooded ferocity, then this was the game for you. It all started in the tunnel before the game, with Keane having to be held back from Patrick Vieira. The fact that both men were captains and long time rivals made it all the more savoury. And then the unthinkable happened. Vieira gave Arsenal the lead. Bastard! Giggs equalised, only for Bergkamp to dazzle his way into the box and smash the ball home. Step forward Cristiano Ronaldo, and two goals in the space of a few minutes put United back on top. And when John O'Shea kicked the ball and it somehow managed to go into the net (you watch his celebration, dont you dare tell me he had a clue what was going on! lol), we were in dreamland. A fantastic game, and the only game I have ever watched in full several times since. To watch a United - Arsenal game these days is a sorry sight in comparison. Sure, we both still have the flair to make it a very entertaining game, but it just lacks the passion and fire embodied in the two tussling captains before that faithful game at Highbury.

Honorable mentions go to Man Utd 2-0 Arsenal (the end of the invincible's run), Tottenham 3-5 Man Utd (from three down to victory in the second half) Man Utd 3-2 Milan (Kaka tearing us apart and Rooney's last minute winner) and Man Utd 6-2 Newcastle (a Paul Scholes hat trick amongst others back in 2003).

My top 5 matches not involving Man Utd, not going into as much detail as I have above, are:

5. Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal (A fantastic game of end-to-end football. Loved it. Champions League, 2008)
    4. Real Madrid 2-6 Barcelona (One of the best team displays of all time. La Liga, 2009)
    3. Real Madrid 0-3 Barcelona (Ronaldinho gets a standing ovation from the Bernabeu. La Liga, 2005)
    2. Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona (Iniesta breaks Chelsea hearts in the last minute. Champions League, 2009)
    1. Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal (Arshavin. 'Nuff said. Premier League, 2009)

Over to you ;)

Gonna go out on a limb here.... United fan? :)

For me:

Ireland 1 v 0 Holland (2002 WC Qualifier)
    Aston Villa 1 v 0 Chelsea (2006-2007 PL)
    Liverpool 3 v 3 AC Milan (CL Final)
    Real Madrid 0 V 3 Barcelona (2005-2006 La Liga)
    Aston Villa 5 V 1 Birmingham City (2007-2008 PL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1. Tottenham Hotspur 3 - 4 Manchester City, 2004

The comeback of all comebacks for us City fans. 3 down at the half and things were only made worse when Joey Barton got sent off during half time and Nicolas Anelka limped off injured.

Cue the most stunning of second half performances, including one of the best double saves ever -

2. Manchester City 3 - 1 Manchester United, 2002 / Manchester United 1 - 2 Manchester City, 2008

Impossible to seperate these two.

"Derby day the scores were level,
    Then The Goat was fed by Neville.
    Silly boy should know for sure,
    Feed The Goat and he will score!"

The last derby at Maine Road and it was one to remember.

3542407344_dd9fba6324_o.jpg

The win at Old Trafford had me close to tears. Hadn't won there in my life time and the build up was very heated. I didn't see any way we could win there given the occassion but it was an unbelievable performance and one I'll never forget.

0,,12306~3560377,00.jpg

3. Shelbourne 6 - 4 Bohemians, 2001

Fantastic game at Dalyer. I sat in the shed stupidly enough and nearly got battered celebrating our 6th goal! Jimk Crawford rounded the keeper and stopped the ball on the line til the defenders almost caught up then just tapped it in. Hero!

4. Spain 4 - 3 Yugoslavia, 2000

A cracker of a game The Spaniards scored twice in stoppage time to completely turn the game around with Alfonso getting the winner.

_44704286_alfonso_bbc512.jpg

5. Liverpool 3 - 3 AC Milan, 2005

I don't like Liverpool, never have, but for that one night in Instanbul I was rooting for them. It was the night before a big college exam and I was staying at a mates to 'study'. We actually switched the game off at half time thinking it was done but sensibly decided to watch the second half. It was epic and edge of the seat stuff.

I can only imagine what it felt like to be a Pool fan that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

tdv wrote: »
    "Ohhhhhh dose that taste good Sir Alex."

I have never seen a more biased post in all my time of breathing....
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Gonna go out on a limb here.... United fan? :)

Perhaps if you both bothered to read the first post properly....
    Archimedes wrote:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yo fanboy, the thread is called, "Top 5 Games of the Decade".

Get a grip if that needs explaining into:
    Archimedes wrote:
    I want you each to pick your favourite 5 matches involving the team you support, and then 5 more not involving your team. In order of preference, if possible (i.e. #1 being your favourite). Rather than do a poll, lets just have a open discussion about this. Ill start with mine...

Unless you're tryng to get a job as a journo on some sensationalist red top that is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Yo fanboy, the thread is called, "Top 5 Games of the Decade".

Get a grip if that needs explaining into:

Unless you're tryng to get a job as a journo on some sensationalist red top that is.

in fairness he made the thread and the rules, and it makes sense because these things are always biased so it gives people a chance to put out their "favourite" games and then the actual "best" games.

For me

Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan - Football fan's wet dream lets be honest.

Liverpool 3-3 West Ham - Just a fantastic game, kept swinging eventually went our way, harshly on West Ham who if I remember where the better side for the 90 but hey that's life.

Liverpool 8-0 Besiktas - Maybe not the most amazing opposition in the world, but we had played 3 games in our Champions League Group and we were in a position where we had to win our last 3, I was sitting in the Kop with my brother for this, we just demolished them, 6 of the goals were scored at the Kop end, and if you want to talk about confidence, this was huge for the club, we won the next 2 Group Stage games 4-0 and after the 8-0 there just seemed no way we wouldn't.

Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool - Even thought we went out 7-5 on aggregate on this one, I was just blown away by the game.

Republic of Ireland 1–1 Spain - World Cup in 2002, I was in spain, my dad was there and he was hammered giving all the spanish guys a good helping of grief every time they had a goal ruled out which I think was 3 times at least, obviously we went out on pens, but again we were fantastic, spain were just brilliant, should of mauled us maybe but we got stuck in, and gave a great account of ourselves.

will think of the non support ones in a bit.

Istanbul 2005.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

8-10 wrote: »

That de Boer freekick has to be one of the best ever scored in an international tournament (le tournoi excluded ;) )

cracking goal, and the through ball by Bergkamp at 0.35 is one of the greatest passes I've ever seen :eek:. What a player he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

For me -

Aston Villa 3 Liverpool 3 - Coca Cup quarter final in December 2002 ( we went out on pens )
    Aston Villa 2 Man Utd 3 - FA Cup 2002 again result wasn't what we wanted, but the game was brilliant.
    Aston Villa 5 Birmingham 1 - just because.
    Liverpool 1 Aston Villa 3 - August this year, we didnt seem to have a chance going into it.
    Man Utd 0 Aston Villa 1 - two weeks ago, just showed how far we've come as a team.

Best 5 w/o my team -

Spurs 4 Chelsea 4 - end to end, blood and thunder game, and Berbatov could have won it with last kick.
    France 2 England 1, Euro Championships, 1st round, 2004 - back when I sorta liked France and Henry, thrilling end.
    France 2 Italy 1, Euro Championship Final 2000 -last minute equalizer and golden goal winner, and landing my biggest ever bet at 7/1
    England 2 Greece 2 - just drama all the way, and Beckham again proved he's a big game player.
    Italy 1 USA 1, World Cup, 17th June 2006 - just for personal reasons, my son was born that day and we went out to celebrate and got huge entertainment from the game.

NOTE - i imagine the 2005 final could well be the most exciting game of all time, but i was out with work, and could only see from a distance the game on a tiny tv with no sound, so it isn't my Liverpool bias that puts me off - just for the " haters "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

1. Istanbul
    2. Holland - Czech Republic, group stages of Euro 2004 (shocked nobody has mentioned that!)
    3. Liverpool UEFA Cup final.
    4. Liverpool - Real Madrid 4-0
    5. Man Utd - Liverpool (4-1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

In no particular order, I'll give my 5 of games which were possibly not so famous, but personally I thought they were fantastic to watch, cant even remember the details about most just remember sitting there thinking "This is a great game".

Brazil V Argentina (2006 Friendly @ the Emirates)
    A quick google tells me Brazil had won 3-0, but I remember sitting in my room watching it on the telly and being so impressed with how the Brazilians played, so fluid and slick, would remind you of playing out on the streets with your mates. Really got me a lot more interested in Brazilian football after that game.

England V Portugal (Euro 2004 Q/F)
    Was at a school barbeque that night and completely forgot about the game until I came into a room with a few men surrounding a tiny television watching the game, think England were leading at the time, left again and came back into the second half to watch it, thrilling game from there on in anyway, seem to remember Ashley Cole playing very well that night. Then the game itself finished 2-2, Portugal win 6-5 on penalties with goalkeeper Ricardo famously scoring the winning peno.

Czech Republic v Holland (Euro 2004)
    Czechs won this game 3-2 after coming back from 2-0 down, and to me anyway this kind of introduced the Czechs as a footballing force, wouldn't have thought much of them previous to this. Dont remember much about the game itself, could have been a few crackers in it though iirc?

Holland v Portugal (World Cup 2006)
    Maybe it wasn't the best football game ever, but it had me on the edge of my seat anyway. 4 red cards, tension boiling over for the whole game, either team could have won it, but in the end Portugal came out on top 1-0 me thinks.

Ghana v Czech Rep/Italy? (World Cip 2006)
    Don't even remember who was playing this particular game, maybe I'm even getting the 2 games confused, but I was amazed by Ghanas performance, they played out of their skin and after it I thought they could have gotten far in the world cup, unfortunately dont think they even made it out of their group.

EDIT: Just to clarify I only used international teams. As SlickRic pointed out 2 posts down, Istanbul has been the best game of the decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

My favourite match of the decade was this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2004/3787537.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone not voting for the Champions League Final 2005 either hates Liverpool or is lying to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Liverpool 4 Liverpool 4

United 1 Liverpool 4

Chelsea 0 Liverppool 1

Liverpool 2 Arsenal 1 (FA CUp final 2001

and from other games
    Chelsea 1 Barcelona 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it seems people are just picking games where they're club did great, or their rivals did sh*t.

i'll put this forward.

real madrid 2-6 barcelona.

SlickRic wrote: »
    it seems people are just picking games where they're club did great, or their rivals did sh*t.

i'll put this forward.

real madrid 2-6 barcelona.

well to be fair that united game was great. god its a pain embedding those links. takes ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

It absolitely broke my heart but in the Stade de France this year Irish lads put in possibly the greatest performance im likely to see from an ireland team. The shear dedication and resilince alone deserves a mention but we played some great stuff.

It may have ended badly and we may have been cheated but the outcry around the world must show that we didnt deserve to lose and we beat the french on there own patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

In no order

Brazil 0 - 1 France 2006 World Cup - Genius performance from Zidane.

AC Milan 3 - 3 Liverpool CL Final 2005 - Obvious reasons.

Barcelona 2 - 0 Man United CL Final 2009 - Masterclass performance from Barcelona & a lesson in how to play football.

Real Madrid 3 -3 Barcelona La Liga 06/07 - Very exciting game & wonderful hat-trick from Messi.

Madrid 3 - 4 Sevilla La Liga 08/09 - Another very exciting game.

SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone not voting for the Champions League Final 2005 either hates Liverpool or is lying to themselves.

Same with the Spain v Yugoslavia game. Too many people seem to be only using the last 5 years of the decade. Has to be the best international I've seen. End to end quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Rovers 4 Bohs 6 Rovers were 4 1 up at one stage
    Shels 0 Bohs 1 Bobby ryan got a header and won the league
    Bohs 2 Derry 2 the day bohs won the double
    Bohs 4 sligo 2 In the ea sports cup this year
    Salzburg 1 Bohs 1 unlucky not to go through just 3 minutes away

BOHtox wrote: »
    Rovers 4 Bohs 6 Rovers were 4 1 up at one stage
    Shels 0 Bohs 1 Bobby ryan got a header and won the league
    Bohs 2 Derry 2 the day bohs won the double
    Bohs 4 sligo 2 In the ea sports cup this year
    Salzburg 1 Bohs 1 unlucky not to go through just 3 minutes away
    See your a bohs fan. What did you make of Ward today. Thought he struggled a bit today for Wolves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Italy/Germany WC Semi Final was savage, with Grosso's winner capping of a great match. Shocked it hasn't been mentioned.

flahavaj wrote: »
    The Italy/Germany WC Semi Final was savage, with Grosso's winner capping of a great match. Shocked it hasn't been mentioned.
    Found the world cup a total anti climax. we had some great football in the group stages but final was just awful for me. But spain winning in Euro championships restored my faith in International football again.

Agreed actually. I was in Milan for it. Unreal atmosphere, great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Was gonna mention this. One of the best games of soccer I've seen. With only 1 goal too!!

Was gonna mention this. One of the best games of soccer I've seen. With only 1 goal too!!

Proves that a match doesn't have to be high scoring to be great and that great defending is just as praise worthy an art as great attacking. Grosso's celebration was as iconic as Tardell's in the 82 WC, one of the enduring images of the decade.

There was more than one goal though, Del Piero curled in a beaut late on to seal it.

Found the world cup a total anti climax. we had some great football in the group stages but final was just awful for me. But spain winning in Euro championships restored my faith in International football again.

It was one of the better finals in recent times I thought. Opened well with a couple of early goals and the Zidane's final act on the big stage meant the climax will go down in history. Overall I thought it was a really good tournament.

Certainly better than the finals in 1990 and 1994 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ive never seen anything quite like Turkey v Croatia last year, brought to penos by the Turks literal last kick of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Jesus christ, i swear there is more arguments about semantics on this board than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Xavi6 wrote: »

3542407344_dd9fba6324_o.jpg

I love that picture :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Holland v Portugal (World Cup 2006)
    Maybe it wasn't the best football game ever, but it had me on the edge of my seat anyway. 4 red cards, tension boiling over for the whole game, either team could have won it, but in the end Portugal came out on top 1-0 me thinks.

Was just going to post this game.

Lol at the official FIFA highlights

bohsman wrote: »
    Was just going to post this game.

first three minutes a series of hand balls dives etc. not the game i would have chosen in terms of highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Its fantastic, love the leg breaking late late slide tackle that only gets a yellow after the Dutch played on instead of giving the ball back. Figo showing himself up for what he really was. And of course the brilliant image of Deco and Gio sitting together in the stands looking bemused.

Advertisement