Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tantalisingly Tasty Recipes!

Options
  • 26-12-2009 5:31am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, following on from bythewoods' post in the Den, (which linked to a recipe for chocolate cake IN A CUP!) I thought it'd be nice if we had a thread for posting our favourite recipes for disaster for simple, effective snacks, meals and desserts.

I have a great one for home-made pizza, and some pictures of the process, so I'll try to dig that out some time tomorrow...

Let's get cooking! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Buy frozen pizza.

Put in oven for 20-25 minutes, at about 190 Degrees Celcius.

Take out of oven, serve up, enjoy. :D

I'll be living on fruit, spuds, and processed food in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

For those interested (YOU SHOULD ALL BE INTERESTED. CHOCOLATE CAKE IN A CUP!) here's the link: http://baconconcentrate.blogspot.com/2009/02/most-dangerous-chocolate-cake-recipe.html

I'll find more. Oh bejaysus I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

jumpguy wrote: »
    Buy frozen pizza.

You think that.
    But realistically you'll end up living on cheese sandwiches (easy-singles all the way of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Buy frozen pizza.

*Shakes head* "Kids these days, There's no such things as fruit in college.Bread,PAT THE BAKER BREAD is all we had in my day.[Which is right now but still...]

Also, Beef strogganof is really easy/quick and you can do it all in a pan.Or there is noodles........

P.S: bythewoods how is that physically possilbe?My soon to be heart attack, loves you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Don't we have a food thread?

Fry 6-8 sausages on pan.
    Wrap one sausage in slice of bread (latitudinally) - butter optional.
    Devour messily, occasionally gulping down some tea.

This is how I survive in college. Dunnes Stores do 16 sausages for something ridiculous like €1.50, and they're not even disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Potato and leek soup.

Okay,so we'll say for four people. You'd need:
    3 largish leeks.
    4 or 5 spuds.
    A few cloves of garlic,depending on how much you like your garlic. I'd use 3,personally.
    A lump of butter or margarine.
    Make up some vegetable stock and some chicken stock using stock cubes and boiling water.
    And salt and pepper to add when necessary.

First, clean and chop the leeks. The easiest way to chop the leeks is to slice each leek length ways twice and then chop all the leek from top to bottom. Ends up looking a bit like celery,but whatevs.
    Melt the butter / margarine in a pan and add the chopped leeks and garlic.

Fry them over a low to medium heat until the leeks are soft. About 10 minutes or so,and make sure nothing goes that icky brown colour,or you're fecked. And when this is happening,chop the spuds into cubes. Chunky cubes,preferably smaller than the leeks.

Bung everything else into the pit,including the stocks. Bring to the boil and let it simmer and add salt and pepper whenever you want to. If you want it chunky,let it simmer for 15 minutes. If you want it mushy,20-22 minutes should do ya.

You can use one of those electric food mixer things when it's done, if you want the texture to be consistent. Actually yeah,I'd recommend doing that. When you fill it out into a bowl you can bung a sprig of parsley onto and and tuck in. Yummy. May sound disgusting,but it is amazing with garlic bread.

potato-soup-ck-1108277-l.jpg

Banana bread.

You need:
    4 bananas. Mash 'em.
    1/2 block of margarine. Margarine works better than butter.
    150g of sugar.
    1 egg, beaten.
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence.
    1 teaspoon baking soda.
    Pinch of salt
    300g plain flour.

Preheat the oven to 180C,or thereabouts. Going to 200 isn't the best idea,it works best at 180,for some reason. Nice and moist. :)
    With a wooden spoon, mix the margarine into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, have it sieved first though. Mix everything. Pour mixture into a buttered loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour,maybe a little less. Let it cool and then serve it.

slice-of-banana-bread.jpg

Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas.
    Enough for 6 people. :)
    340 g skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes. Four average sized fillets,for those of us who can't be bothered with weighing and stuff.
    225 g Cream of Chicken Soup.
    95 g Salsa.
    40 g grated cheese. Mozzarella is best,IMO.
    2 teaspoons of chili powder.
    6 flour tortillas, heat 'em up a little.

Heat the oven to about 220C.
    Cook the chicken in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned and cooked through. Stir it often. Stir in the soup, salsa, cheese and chili powder and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
    Place the tortillas onto 2 baking sheets. Spread some chicken mixture on half of each tortilla to within 1/2-inch of the edge. Fold the tortillas over the filling and press the edges to seal.
    Bake for 5 minutes or until the filling is hot. Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with additional salsa.

My friend makes these so well.

IMAGE5.JPG

I'll be back with more later. Lol at my Junior Cert Home Ec knowledge of recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

potnoodle.jpg

+

grated-cheese_cheddar.jpg

= yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I found this on Stumble a while ago, and I imagine it's gonna be seriously handy!

Also someday I'll put up a recipe for seabass, which is fairly cheap and so insanely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I made these for christmas without the nuts (blaaaaah!) and they were Fantabolous! :D

8- 1 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup butter
    5 eggs
    3 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    1-1/2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    2-1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
    Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
    Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat; set aside. In a mixer, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed for 10 minutes**. Blend in chocolate mixture, flour and salt until just mixed. Stir in the nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. (Don't overbake.) Cool and frost if desired, but that is not necessary.

http://baking.about.com/od/brownies/r/ultimate.htm

brownies.JPG

Pygmalion wrote: »
    You think that.
    But realistically you'll end up living on cheese sandwiches (easy-singles all the way of course)
    What about boiled pasta?

Put pasta into boiling water.
    Wait 1 minute.
    Take out of water and serve for a tasty, very filling meal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

What about boiled pasta?

Put pasta into boiling water.
    Wait 1 minute.
    Take out of water and serve for a tasty, very filling meal!

One minute!? :eek:
    And what about some kind of flavour,pasta wouldn't be that nice plain,would it?

Pasta carbonara recipe coming up soon,omnomnom.

One minute!? :eek:
    And what about some kind of flavour,pasta wouldn't be that nice plain,would it?

Pasta carbonara recipe coming up soon,omnomnom.
    You can buy pasta sauce you just pop it in the microwave...infact carbonara is one of the microwaveable sauces you can buy.

Or you could just pop open a can of tuna and throw it in with the pasta!
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

Diced chicken breast, broccoli, maybe some sweetcorn, pasta, carbonara sauce -> an easy, affordable, delicious, nutritious meal that I've only bothered my arse making once since I moved out.

Sausages ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

BEEF STROGANNOF*may be spelt wrong.

1 steak thinly sliced[whatever size looks good,handsized is a good measurement]
    1 tub/pot thingy or cream
    1 onion
    Mushrooms sliced
    Paprika[or whatever spicy like stuff you happen to find]
    1 pan
    oil for said pan.

1)Heat up the oil in the pan[helps if its a deep one]
    2) Brown off the steak[stir fry it for about 2 minutes]
    3) simmer the onions and mushrooms with as much spice as you want to add.
    4) add the steak again.
    5) about a minute later,add the cream a little at a time [for one person you'll never use more than about half a tub]
    6)simmer over a low heat until the desired consistency is reached.

Serve with rice pasta or noodles for creamy,meaty,calorific awesomeness that needs F*ck all cleaning up after.

Did you enjoy my amazingly accurate description? If so,send $19.95 to "Sure,why the hell not" RH2-12-5 UCD ,Dublin Ireland.

Also,if you're putting tuna in pasta try adding some mayonaise it moistens it up nicely and makes it unbelievably filling.And yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

This thread bears a striking resemblence to a book I just finished: Julie & Julia - My year of cooking dangerously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hot, Hot chilli prawns/chicken/aquid/pork/beef/whatever you have laying around.

Corn flour(3 tea spoons)
    Ketchup(a shot glass)
    , soy sauce(a shot glass)
    , chillis1-2
    , sugar snap peas
    , baby sweet corn
    A Shallot
    , 2 cloves garlic
    , root ginger( about the size of the top part of your thumb?)
    200g protein of your choice (chicken/pork probably best on a student budget, stir fry style beef is cheep too).
    200ml water
    juice of one lime
    Handful of fresh coriander.
    finely grate/chop the ginger and garlic, finely chop the chillis and shallot.

in a bown, mix the soy and corn flour, then add the ketchup, mix till smooth, then add the water and the lime juice.

Chop your protein source to the desired side (bite sized like, dont go mad!).

heat the oil and add the garlic, ginger, shallot and chilli, cook for about a minute, then add your meat, brown on all sides and cook for about 4 mins for meat, about a minute for fish/prawns, then add sauce mixture, bring to the boil and let if cook for about 5-7 minutes cok chicken/beef/pork, about 30-1 minute seconds for fish/prawns!

Add a hand full of roughly chopped fresh coriander and serve over glass noodles/rice.

My cake in a mug looks great but tastes vaguely of nothing. I've some tinkering to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Fajitas- Done Properly :p

What you need:

.1 or 2 breasts of chicken ( Use two breats of chicken if your serving for more then one )
    .1 Green Pepper, 1 Red Pepper, 1 Onion.
    .Discovery Fajita Sauce (http://www.discoveryfoods.co.uk/product/108/fajita-sauce.html)
    .Packet of Tortillas of your choice ( http://www.discoveryfoods.co.uk/product/95/plain-flour-tortillas.html is what i use)
    .Mozzarella Cheese (I use Avonmore's brand)
    .Guacamole
    .Plastic Sandwich bags.

Instructions:

1. Chop up your chicken, peppers and onions.
    2. Get your chicken slices and put them in the sandwich bag, our the seasoning into the bag and shake it around to get the seasoning around the chicken.
    3. Spray your frying pan with some cooking oil and add your peppers and onion into the pan on setting 5 (Im a guy i have no idea if all cookers have the setting of five :p) for 5 minutes.
    4. After 5 mins place the peppers and onions in a bowl or whatever storeage you have to be used at a later point.
    5.Spray more cooking oil onto the pan as chances are it ll be fairly dry. Add chicken now on setting 5 for 5 minutes. Make sure to flip the chicken either side after 2 mins or so to ensure both sides are cooked.
    6. Add back now your peppers and onions to the pan and add the main Salsa sauce.
    7. Simmer for 10 minutes (15 if you have alot of chicken) on setting 3.
    8. Add your mix now to the tortillas and add mozzarella and guacamole as you please.
    9.Eat a ****ing tasty meal.

If you understood all that fair play cause im rubbish at explaining this sort of stuff :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

We shouls have some sort of super-gay cooking club where once a week (how bout Sunday? No-one's ever busy on Sunday) we all cook one thing and take pics and review it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Piste wrote: »
    We shouls have some sort of super-gay AWESOMEcooking club where once a week (how bout Sunday? No-one's ever busy on Sunday) we all cook one thing and take pics and review eat it.

Sounds a bit better. Might be taking things too far! Though i do enjoy cooking just because home cooked food is so f*cking tasty and i have a thing against any frozen food.

We shouls have some sort of super-gay cooking club where once a week (how bout Sunday? No-one's ever busy on Sunday) we all cook one thing and take pics and review it.

im sucha saddo that I would actually do it. I love experimenting as well with lotsa different stuff and siht :o.

Great, I could show off my oven-baked frozen pizzas. :D

Or perfectly-popped microwave popcorn (y'know when you get all the kernels popped...but no burnt popcorn...ohhhhhh yeeeeeah)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Funnily enough i'm eating unburnt microwave pocorn right now :) I'd join the club but don't cook much other than dinners that consist of chips and something you can cook quickly in the oven. Great recipes here though, if i ever feel like doing some proper cooking i'll come here first!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My recipe is a very lazy snack, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

stick bread in toaster
    spread tomato purée onto toast
    cover in grated cheese
    add a bit of pepperoni or bits of ham if you feel like it
    stick into microwave for 30secs-1 min, until cheese had melted and is bubbling
    devour the cheesy-tomatoey goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I've decided to start off with one of my favourite but quite complicated dish.

Ham and Cheese Sammich :pac:

Ingredients:
    Bread
    Butter
    Cheese
    Ham

Apparatus Needed:
    A Knife or a KnifeWRENCH!!

1) Preheat the oven to about 200 degrees.
    2) Take out two slices of bread and place them on a table
    3)Use the knife to butter the bread with the butter (Get an adult to help you because knifes are dangerous)
    4) On one of the slices of bread put on as much ham and cheese as you desire.
    5) Place the other slice of bread carefully on top of the slice with the cheese and ham.
    6) Cut the bread in half (Again, ask your mammy or daddy to help you)
    7) Turn off the oven.

Jako8 recommends that you have this dish with tea.

Alternatives:
    If you don't like ham or cheese you could always subsitute it with something you do like.
    The bread can be toasted.
    Ask your mother or the closest woman to make it for you, because everyone knows that women make awesome sammiches :pac:

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

The Cooking and Recipes forum decided the other day to start something exactly like this. A fellow lurker? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

That sounds SUPER!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Drop Scones!
    2541523168_5a7fd60fba.jpg
    Think mini but thicker pan cakes, nyom!

What ya need:
    • 100g self-raising flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 25g caster sugar
    • A pinch of salt
    • 1 egg
    • 125ml milk

What ya do with it:

Sieve the flour and baking powder together into a bowl, throw in the sugar and salt, lash an egg in and mix em together well. Add the milk slowly mixing as ya go, should leave ya with a nice batter!

Put a frying pan on and get it very hot, grease with butter or sunflower/vegetable oil. Put the batter in the pan in disks about 2 - 3 inches across, turn with a spatula when bubbles start bursting through the batter.

Remove from the pan, cover with something delicious, i like whipped cream or maple syrup.

Devour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

banjopaul wrote: »
    Drop Scones!
    2541523168_5a7fd60fba.jpg
    Think mini but thicker pan cakes, nyom!

They look suspiciously like pancakes...

Advertisement