Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tantalisingly Tasty Recipes!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Monzo wrote: »
    They look suspiciously like pancakes...

Variation on a theme, they's good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Anyone could make this, and it's actually savage.
    These are the amounts I use, and you get about 6 servings but if you want you could use less or more so long as you keep everything in proportion.

2 big bars of chocolate(dairy milk or galaxy, not cooking chocolate)
    3/4 pack of digestive biscuits
    100g/ 1 packet mini marshmallows

Melt the chocolate in a microwave.
    Break up the digestives, and put at the bottom of a baking tray.
    Pour over the chocolate.
    Sprinkle the marshmallows on top.
    Leave to set in the fridge for about 2 hours, and that's all there is to it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Get ready-made crepe and fold it into a pocket-shaped thing
    Put toblerone triangles into pocket.
    Microwave until chocolate melts.
    Noooom.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Here's a porter cake recipe I posted on my site before. I believe Insect Overlord tried it out so he can attest to its quality or lack thereof!

http://www.fakedogfilms.com/blogs/article/38/fake-dog-food-2-gearoids-porter-cake

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ATi wrote: »
    Here's a porter cake recipe I posted on my site before. I believe Insect Overlord tried it out so he can attest to its quality or lack thereof!

http://www.fakedogfilms.com/blogs/article/38/fake-dog-food-2-gearoids-porter-cake

I can vouch for this, it is 100% pure quality deliciousness when it's done right. Might have a picture of mt one around here somewhere...

picture.php?albumid=367&pictureid=4180

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Anyone got some hangover cure recipes?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

phlegms wrote: »

334655893a8882754801l.jpg

Best. Fry-up. Ever.

Best. Fry-up. Ever.

DO WANT!

I mean theres a mace at the end of my road, literally 30 seconds walk from my house. But I'm too lazy for that kind of trek..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

phlegms wrote: »

GD4542671@Bottle-of-Lucozade-En-2967.jpg

Repeat as required :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

We've had some awesome food in college; who says students can't eat well?
    You only need two things:

*Take away menu
    *Phone

• Advertisement

donmeister wrote: »
    Repeat as required :pac:

Thats my usual go to guy for being hungover. But once again, I dont want to have to leave the house :pac:

Bump! :D

If anybody who's been baking/cooking recently wants to share their recipes and pictures here instead of the Om Nyom Nom thread, feel free to do so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Never saw this thread before, thanks for the bump insect overlord.

I make these cupcakes all the time, they're really easy, and ridiculously nice.

Vanilla Cupcakes

Ingredients
    120g Plain Flour
    140g Castor Sugar
    1.5 teaspoons baking powder
    Pinch of Salt
    40g Unsalted Butter (I've used normal butter before, didn't make much of a difference)
    120ml whole milk (I've used low fat before instead too)
    1 egg
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method

Preheat oven to 170degrees

Put flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in an electric mixer with paddle attachment. (if you don't have one, don't worry, just use your hands) Mix until you get a sandy consistency. Gradually pour in half the milk, and beat until combined

Whisk egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk in a separate bowel. Pour into flour mixture, and mix until combined.

Spoon the mixture into paper cases until they are about 2/3 full. Bake in your oven for 20-25 minutes.

Vanilla Frosting

Ingredients
    250g icing sugar, sifted
    80g unsalted butter
    25ml whole milk
    a couple of drops of vanilla extract

Method

Beat the icing sugar and butter together in an electric mixer with paddle attachment (or handheld electric whisk, or just hands) until it is well mixed.

Combine the milk and vanilla extract together in a separate bowel. Add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time.

Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes. Add a couple of drops of whatever food colouring you want.

* The recipe is for American sized cupcakes, so it make 12 large cupcakes, using a muffin tray and paper cases. Or you can make 18 regular sized ones with a standard fairy cake tray and cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Bump! :D

If anybody who's been baking/cooking recently wants to share their recipes and pictures here instead of the Om Nyom Nom thread, feel free to do so. :)

How funny, cheesefiend and I were discussing this thread today. :D

These recipes may come in handy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Banoffee Pie!

*I am currently half way through making this.
    Pics shall follow!

Required:
    Tin (around 400g, whatever after/before that) of condensed milk [you know that milk that comes in a can? :pac:]
    Three banana's [or just enough to cover the top of the dish, you shall understand later]
    One packet of digestive biscuits
    Cream to be whipped [ie: Not the pre whipped stuff, just fresh cream and whip it yourself for ommyness]
    2 tablespoons of margarine [or butter]

nb: Do the condensed milk before anything else, as it takes the longest. See the nb* on the below instructions and do that before beginning anything else!

Instructions:
    *Crush the biscuits. Do it by putting them in a freezer bag, getting a rolling pin [if you don't know what it is.. its the thing you use to flatten out like cake mix, etc] and pretty much beating them up with the rolling pin until they turn into crums. Make sure they're not to small though!

*Heat the margarine or butter in a saucepan until its liquid.

*Mix the liquid margarine with the biscuit crumbs until they are stuck together.

*Put the biscuit mixture into the end of a pyrex dish and make sure that they cover the entire base of the dish and place in the fridge to set.

nb*Put the tin of condensed milk [unopened, just remove the labelling if there is any] into a pan of boiling water and allow it to boil for 2 hours. Check constantly that the water level is above the tin otherwise it could be disastrous!

*After 2 hours, remove the tin and allow it to cool down [do so by allowing it to cool naturally, or just cover it in cold water]. When its cool enough to handle, open the tin and the milk shall be turned into caramel! :)

*Pour the caramelised milk on top of the biscuit base in the pyrex dish and put it back in the fridge to cool down.

*Slice the banana's and place them on top of the caramelised milk.

*Whip the cream until smooth/peaky and place it on top of the banana's making sure that it is smoothed out.

*Cover in cling film and leave in the fridge until you want to devour it!

3355grb.jpg
    2najh8h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Made this for the first time today, tasted ok hot but was lovely cold. I'd recommend eating it in a wrap. Mmmm

Vegetarian/Vegan Chilli

Ingredients:
    1 tin of kidney beans 2 tins of plum tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes)
    1 red pepper 1 green pepper 1 tbsp of chili powder
    1 onion 2 celery stalks 2 carrots
    1/2 punnet of mushrooms 3 cloves of garlic tsp of basil and oregano

Sweat chopped onions, carrots and garlic in some oil until soft. Add in peppers, celery and chili powder. Cook for around 4 minutes. Add in mushrooms and cook for a further 4 or 5 minutes.

Add in tomatoes, kidney beans, seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and then simmer for twenty minutes.

(If you're a meat eater you could add in the mince meat after onions, carots and garlic I suppose)

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Banoffee Pie!

3355grb.jpg
    2najh8h.jpg

That looks soo good!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Made this for the first time today, tasted ok hot but was lovely cold. I'd recommend eating it in a wrap. Mmmm

Vegetarian/Vegan Chilli

Ingredients:
    1 tin of kidney beans 2 tins of plum tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes)
    1 red pepper 1 green pepper 1 tbsp of chili powder
    1 onion 2 celery stalks 2 carrots
    1/2 punnet of mushrooms 3 cloves of garlic tsp of basil and oregano

Sweat chopped onions, carrots and garlic in some oil until soft. Add in peppers, celery and chili powder. Cook for around 4 minutes. Add in mushrooms and cook for a further 4 or 5 minutes.

Add in tomatoes, kidney beans, seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and then simmer for twenty minutes.

(If you're a meat eater you could add in the mince meat after onions, carots and garlic I suppose)

I'm OBSESSED with chili. I use Quorn mince in it and it's really nice. Definitely agree with you about eating it cold! My guilty pleasure is leftover chili for breakfast! :) I use mixed beans instead of kidney beans, 'cause I don't like 'em so much and if ya throw in a tin of baked bins as well, it's good for extra tomato-eeeness!

IMG_0001.jpg

Here's some of mine in a baked potato <3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

This Chilli sounds amazing WANT......

Novella wrote: »
    I'm OBSESSED with chili. I use Quorn mince in it and it's really nice. Definitely agree with you about eating it cold! My guilty pleasure is leftover chili for breakfast! :) I use mixed beans instead of kidney beans, 'cause I don't like 'em so much and if ya throw in a tin of baked bins as well, it's good for extra tomato-eeeness!

IMG_0001.jpg

Here's some of mine in a baked potato <3

That sounds perfect because I wasn't such a fan of the kidney beans and am obsessed with baked beans!! I really wish I had of read this earlier because chili for breakfast sounds amazing.

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Myself and the *ahem* lovely Insect Overlord just made the following:

- A banoffee pie
    - White chocolate and peanut butter blondies (with a few milk chocolate chips)
    - Big chocolate chip cookies in (hopefully) the Marks and Spencers style.

Pics to follow! :D

Evidence!

38147_478745924250_516309250_6728404_1970967_n.jpg

38147_478745934250_516309250_6728406_7344566_n.jpg

38147_478745939250_516309250_6728407_2302617_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just saw Jamie Oliver make this on C4...Imma make them tommorow!! -Sexy Sweedish Buns!

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/jamie-oliver/sexy-swedish-buns-recipe_p_1.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Chocolate Cake
    Ingredients
    1 + 1/2 cup (170 g) all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (dutched/dark)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 pinches salt
    1 cup (220 g) sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla essence
    1/2 cup (1.2 dl) milk or water
    1/2 cup (1.2 dl) vegetable oil (flavorless)
    2 eggs
    Ingredients for frosting
    1 stick (1/2 cup) + 3 tablespoons (160 g) softened butter
    3 cups (7.2 dl) powdered sugar or confectioner's sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 to 5 tablespoons lukewarm milk

Method
    1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C)
    2. Grease a 9 inch (23 cm) cake tin.
    3. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl.
    4. Add milk/water, vegetable oil and eggs.
    5. Mix everything together until smooth, either by hand or by using an electric mixer at slow speed. If the batter is too runny you may add slightly more flour.
    6. Transfer to bake tin and bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 35 to 45 minutes.
    7. After the cake has cooled, slice the cake through the middle to make two layers (easier if the cake has been in the fridge).
    Frosting
    1. Cream the softened butter with powdered sugar in a bowl. Add cocoa, vanilla and 4 tablespoons lukewarm milk, and mix until smooth. Do not over-mix. If necessary, add some more milk.
    2. Use one 1/3 of the frosting between the two layers, 1/3 on top, and the rest around the cake.
    3. This cake should have room temperature when served.

I made it again so I decided to post up the recipe..
    wsuvie.jpg

I used different coco for the frosting this time, but yea its more or less the same as that one. And its very yummy so I think everyone should make atleast one in their lifetime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I made tomato chutney stuff this morning... it tastes like Ballymaloe relish, except BETTER. Nom.

T'was pure simple.
    -4 big tomatoes (Chopped, with the skins removed)
    -1 big red onion
    -A clove of garlic
    -60g of brown sugar
    -A bit'a ginger
    -Small shake of paprika
    -About 40mls of red wine vinegar
    -A dash of red wine (If you have it handy. If not, add a teeny bit more of the vinegar)
    -A sprinkle of coriander seeds.

Just chuck everything in a little pot and leave them all simmer for about 40 minutes, then jack up the heat and boil it for another 10 minutes or so and, there y'are, a jar of the most amazingly delish mouthgasm everzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

That looks soo good!

So damn good but so bold as well :P

Me and my mammy are making sweet potatoe lasagne today for dinner :)
    If it turns out good, I'll stick up a recipe.
    Don't want to food poison anyone with an un-cooked recipe, now do I!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Homemade Pizza

Rather simple this

-In general you need about 200g of strong white flour per Pizza base you want to make. With that in mind, pour the desired amount onto countertop
    -Mix 2 7g yeast sachets with lukewarm water and leave for a few moments
    -Some methods suggest making a hole in middle of pile of flour like a volcano- I nearly wouldnt. Mixture goes everwhere. Basically mix your yeast mixture with the flour until it is a doughey ball.
    -Cover in a bowl with clingfilm for 15 mins or until you want to use. It could keep for upto a week in fridge.

Tomatoe Sauce for it...
    -Chop up one clove of garlic, add some oil to a saucepan (yes a saucepan) and throw in garlic. cook til golden (2 mins)
    -Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a 400g tin does one large pizza base.
    -Add basil and salt+pepper
    -Cook for 15-20 mins, make sure to squash all the tomatoes

The rest is fairly self explainitory... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Chocolate Peanut-Butter Layer Brownies

Ingredients

2 ounces Unsweetened chocolate; chopped
    1/2 cup Unsalted butter; softened
    1 1/4 cup Sugar
    3 large Eggs
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    2/3 cup Flour
    1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 cup Chunky peanut butter
    3 ounces Bittersweet chocolate; chopped fine

Method

Preheat oven to 350f. Butter and flour a 9" square baking pan, knocking out excess flour.

In a double boiler, melt unsweetened chocolate, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; beat into butter mixture just until blended.

Divide batter between 2 bowls. Whisk peanut butter into batter in 1 bowl. Whisk melted chocolate into batter in another bowl; add chopped bittersweet or chips.

Spread peanut butter batter evenly in the pan. Drop chocolate batter by large spoonsfuls onto peanut butter batter and spread carefully to form an even layer. Bake brownies in middle of oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tester comes out with crumbs attached. Cool brownies completely in pan on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

I had some chocolate left over too, so I made some chocolate fudge icing for on top. They were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Banoffee Pie!

Most definitely this. I make my own at least once a week. By the by, you can hurry up the caramelisation by melting sugar and butter in a saucepan, and then adding the condensed milk over a high-ish heat (but stir constantly or you'll get clumps of harder caramel!). Should only take 5 minutes or so.

My sandwich that I have most days for lunch;

Three slices of brown bread
    Salad (any will do)
    Breast of chicken
    2-3 slices of ham
    Cajun or Jerk seasoning
    Olive oil (vegetable oil is okay too)

Stick two of the three slices of bread in the toaster.

Slice the chicken into thin strips (as opposed to chunks. I prefer this as it makes cooking it more easy). Toss the strips in enough cajun or jerk seasoning that all sides are dusted with it.

Cook the strips over high heat with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

Layer it thusly (do it in this order...so the first thing here will actually be at the bottom, if that makes any sense);

1 slice of toasted brown bread
    Ham slices
    Salad
    The non-toasted brown bread
    Over this either spread mayonnaise or throw over the chicken cooking juices from the frying pan (this is why I use olive oil!)
    Cooked cajun/jerk chicken
    Final slice of toasted bread.

Goes very well with a cup of tea, and is just basically great.

Best. Fry-up. Ever.

I take that. And I raise you;

26031_10150152774080527_901275526_11958908_380095_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Columbia wrote: »
    M
    I take that. And I raise you;

26031_10150152774080527_901275526_11958908_380095_n.jpg

Your cup is nicer anyway! :pac:

• Advertisement

My best friend is vegan and yesterday we made a cake (just for kicks) and it turned out to taste as good as if not better than average cakes!

What you need:

Cake
    - 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
    - 1 cup of sugar
    - 1/2 tsp salt
    -1/2 cup oil
    -1 cup soymilk
    -1tbsp vanila extract

Icing
    Tbh I'm not sure of the quantities I just put around 2 cups of icing sugar and around a cup of soy butter and a tsp of soy milk, but you can adjust the quantites to suit the consistency you like.

Method:
    1. Preheat oven to around 180 degrees, greese cake tin
    2. Mix together flour, sugar and salt.
    3. Whisk in oil, soymilk and vanilla extract to the flour.
    4. Pour into tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 - 30 minutes. Cool in tin for two minutes and the cool of wire wrack.
    5. When cake is coold blend together butter icing. Spread over cake. Dip knife into a cup filled with hot water and use it to smothen icing over cake.

If you wanted to make a birthday cake you could just make two cakes and use the icing as a filler.

Easy! Pics shall be put up as soon as I find my camera. >.<

Advertisement