Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tantalisingly Tasty Recipes!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Blueberry Cake

Ingredients

350g unsalted butter
    350g caster sugar
    6 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    450g plain flour
    2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
    280ml soured cream
    250g fresh blueberries (plus few extra for decorating)
    Cream cheese frosting

Method

Preheat oven to 170degrees

Put butter and sugar in a mixer and mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Beat in the vanilla extract, flour and baking powder until well mixed. Add the soured cream and mix well until everything is combined and the mixture is light and fluffy.

Gently stir in the blueberries by hand until evenly dispersed.

Pour the mixture into a 25cm ring mould. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool slightly in the cake tin before putting on a wire rack.

When cold, cover the top and sides with the frosting and decorate with more blueberries. Dust with a light sprinkle of icing sugar to finish.

Cream Cheese Frosting
    (for cake 1/2 for cupcakes)

600g icing sugar
    100g unsalted butter
    250g cream cheese, cold

Beat the icing sugar and butter together until well mixed. Add the cream cheese in one go until completely incorporated. Continue beating until light and fluffy.

3CAA5C02615F4314A80B85003609819A-500.jpg

E47A76E7CBE740EB9A0CB891A867640C-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Oh god I just made chocolate cake in a mug.

I love the internet so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Whatever anyones making, it can probably be improved with cream cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Tortilla (Spanish Omelette)

-1 medium/large onion
    -5/6 average-ish potatoes
    -5 eggs
    -A lot of olive oil
    -Salt and Pepper
    -Garlic (optional)

Peel the spuds and slice them thinly, do the same with the onion and the garlic if you are using it. Put 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and heat it up.

When it's hot put in the potatos and fry them on a high heat for 4 or 5 mins, then add the onion for another 2 mins. Then add the garlic if you want. Keep frying the mix til the potatoes are soft, add lots of salt and pepper now and mix well. If you need to half the mix to fit them in the pan that's fine.

Pour the mix into a bowl, I usually sieve it first so I can save the oil. Leave the mix to cool and whisk the eggs. When the veg are cool mix the eggs in. Re-heat the oil but turn it down low just before you put the eggs and veg in.

Pretty much leave it on a low heat for 20-25 minutes, then put a plate or lid over the pan, turn it sideways over a bowl so that all the oil drains out. Turn it upside down, put the pan back on the heat and slide the omelette back in (upside-down) and leave it for about 2 minutes. Then take it off the heat and leave it for 5 minutes. Viola!

It's the greatest food ever! You can even make a sandwich out of it (like a chip sandwich on crack).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Pasta and lentil bake!

This is definitely vegetarian, and I'm pretty sure it's vegan too. Healthy but tasty! :D

39842_1541169126821_1162730612_31570197_8116327_n.jpg

Ingredients:Breadcrumbs, penne pasta, Vegan gluten-free cheese-flavoured sauce mix, puy lentils, red lentils, 1/2 onion, 2 cloves garlic, broccoli, courgette, tomato puree, water, salt, pepper, mixed herbs.

1. First of all, cook the puy lentils and red lentils. About 15 mins for the red and a bit more for the puy lentils. I’m useless at knowing how long to cook things for though, so don’t take my word on this bit.

2. Add olive oil, the chopped onion, garlic, courgette and broccoli to a saucepan and stir over a low-ish heat.

3. Next add the red lentils and puy lentils along with about 2 tablespoons of tomato puree and a little water.

4. After a few minutes add some salt, pepper and mixed herbs. Then transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish.

5. Cook the pasta.

6. Make the cheese-flavoured sauce according to the instructions on the packet. Mix with the cooked pasta and spread on top of the lentil and vegetable mix in the dish.

7. Finally sprinkle breadcrumbs all over the pasta.

8. Cook at 180 degrees Celcius for about 20 minutes.

And voila!

39709_1541169486830_1162730612_31570200_2178110_n.jpg

40253_1541169406828_1162730612_31570198_6703821_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

To complement chocolate cake in a cup... I now bring you... How To Make Icecream in a Bag in 5 minutes.

Oh. Yes.

YES

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Giant Cookies

Ingredients
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
    • 1 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup white sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 egg
    • 1 egg yolk
    • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
    2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
    3. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
    4. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

I didnt use that much chocolate chips, too many imo and the cookies spead loads so make sure to leave a lot of space between them. Also they are very, very yummmy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Chocolate, coffee & rum cake

Servings:8
    Prep time:40min
    Cook time:1hr

Ingredients:
    For the cake
    A little cocoa powder for dusting
    300ml strong percolated coffee
    150g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
    225g unsalted butter, plus a little extra for greasing
    50ml rum, plus extra to drizzle over the cake
    225g plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    2 duck eggs
    1½ tsp vanilla extract
    400g caster sugar

For the chocolate sauce
    150g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
    50g caster sugar
    50g unsalted butter
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    50ml medium strength brewed coffee
    20ml rum
    150ml double cream

Preparation
    For the cake

Preheat the oven to 140°C and grease and dust a 3 litre ring mould/cake tin with butter and cocoa powder.
    Combine the percolated coffee, the chocolate, the butter and 50ml of rum and heat in a bain-marie (a bowl rested over a pan of boiling water). Stir until the mixture is smooth.
    In a separate bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder and salt.
    In another bowl, beat together the eggs and vanilla extract.
    When the chocolate mixture is smooth, remove it from the heat and gradually beat in the sugar using an electric whisk until it has dissolved.
    Increase the speed and add the dry ingredients, whisking continuously. Finally, add the eggs and the vanilla until fully combined and pour the mixture into the tin.
    Bake in the oven for 60 minutes.
    Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, prick the surface all over and drizzle some rum evenly over the cake.
    Leave the cake to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.

For the chocolate sauce

Combine the chocolate, the sugar, the butter, the vanilla extract, the coffee and the rum and heat over a bain-marie until smooth.
    In a separate saucepan, warm through the double cream over a low heat.
    Remove both the cream and chocolate mix from the heat and mix them together until smooth.

Chocolate-coffee--rum-cake-with-van-afeb2588-3f1a-43c2-8cb3-13ad59eaa07b.jpg

I forgot to take pics but...it was good :D

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Banoffee Pie!

nb*Put the tin of condensed milk [unopened, just remove the labelling if there is any] into a pan of boiling water and allow it to boil for 2 hours. Check constantly that the water level is above the tin otherwise it could be disastrous!

Or...if you don't feel like waiting 2 hours, there's a quicker way of making the caramel :D

bring butter & caster sugar & condensed milk to a boil for 5-7 minutes in a saucepan, voila :p

The amount of butter/caster sugar should be in equal amounts, and vary depending on whatever recipe you look at. Anywhere between 100-225g is fine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ever thought to yourself 'Hmm, what is the most delicious oat-based thing I could eat right now'? I have the answer to this pressing issue...
    Banana and Honey Porridge
    1 ripe banana - half if it's big
    A mug of milk
    Just under half a mug of porridge oats
    1 desertspoon of honey or brown sugar

Peel and slice the banana and put it into a bowl with the oats, milk and honey. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir to break up the banana and, if necessary, put back in for another minute. You can serve it with extra milk and chopped nuts apparently. I don't...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Spicey Wedges

cut potatoes into wedges
    in a bowl mix olive oil, paprika and garlic salt
    coat wedges in the spice mix ansd place in an oven for about 30 mins at 180C
    serve with some taco sauce

Easy Carbonarra

boil some pasta preferably spagetti but any will do
    while thats cooking fry some bacon bits in a pan, rashers will do also
    when everything is ready throw it all together and mix
    then beat an egg and add it to the pasta and bacon
    1 egg per person

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Namlub wrote: »
    Ever thought to yourself 'Hmm, what is the most delicious oat-based thing I could eat right now'? I have the answer to this pressing issue...
    Banana and Honey Porridge
    1 ripe banana - half if it's big
    A mug of milk
    Just under half a mug of porridge oats
    1 desertspoon of honey or brown sugar

Peel and slice the banana and put it into a bowl with the oats, milk and honey. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir to break up the banana and, if necessary, put back in for another minute. You can serve it with extra milk and chopped nuts apparently. I don't...
    So having this in the morning!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So having this in the morning!

+1 :)

I've managed to get up early for breakfast the last two days, and I want to turn it into a good habit :pac:

*bumpeh* very very simple recipe, but the tastiest thing I've had in ages :D

Certainly not one for veggies :D

Pork ribs wrapped in rashers

For the ribs:
    Cut into individual ribs, leave to marinade overnight (marinade recipe is up to you)
    to cook, place in boiling water for 40 minutes.

(heat up the oven to 200C while you're waiting)

Once cooked - take out of the water, wrap in rashers, and pop into the oven for 10-15 mins

Eat with whatever else you want :P I had noodles / roasted carrot with mine

CFEE0DEAF6F24F8E8220946AE5E34AF0-0000315821-0001962465-00800L-E35B2CFE3F03474EA20FFA396859D41E.jpg

I'd say the whole meal cost about €3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Those carrots are hilarious.

Meh, I fried 'em yesterday so I figured I'd just throw it into the oven today :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

That's just the cutest dinner I have ever seen. <3

As requested by Aoibheann, Brooklyn Blackout Cake (from the hummingbird bakery cookbook)

ingredients:
    100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
    260g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    45g cocoa powder
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    a pinch of salt
    170g plain flour
    160 ml whole milk

chocolate custard:

500g caster sugar
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    125g cocoa powder
    200g cornflour
    85g unsalted butter
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

also need:
    3 20cm cake tins, base-lined with greaseproof paper (I only had 1 so baking took a lot longer as I had to do each separately)

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius (Gas 3)

2. Put the butter and sugar in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or a handheld electric whisk)
    and cream until light and fluffy.
    Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl
    with a rubber spatula after each addition.
    Turn the mixer down down to slow speed and beat in the vanilla extract, cocoa powder,
    baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt until well mixed.
    Add half the flour, then all the milk, and finish with the remaining flour.
    Mix well until everything is well combined.

3. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tins and smooth over with a palette knife.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins.
    Leave the cakes to cool slightly in the tins before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

4. For the chocolate custard: Put the sugar, golden syrup, cocoa powder and 600ml of water into a large saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally.

5. Mix in the cornflour with 120ml - 200ml of water until it resembles a thick glue in texture, if it's too thick you can add more water but don't add more than 250ml, then whisk into the cocoa mixture in the saucepan.
    Bring back to boil , whisking constantly.
    Cook until very thick, about 10 minutes.
    Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract.
    Pour the custard into a bowl, cover with clingfilm and chill until very firm.

6. When the cakes are cold, using a serrated knife, slice a thin layer off one of the cakes.
    Put this layer into a food processor and process to make fine crumbs.
    Put one cake on a cake stand and spread about one-quarter of the chocolate custard over it with a palette knife.
    Place a second cake on top and spread another quarter of the custard over it.
    Top with the last cake and spread the remaining custard over the top and sides.
    Cover with the cake crumbs and chill for about 2 hours.

D57598BC08274FDE9E09664E196FDDEB-0000316660-0002044897-00500L-118A0297064C474FB302313D5FCB5B35.jpg

I didn't bother with the covering it with crumbs bit because I may have forgotten to cut the bit off the cake for it. Still tastes awesome though.

Edit: 4,000 posts \o/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Errrrm they cant compare to the above (coz nothing can) but these are ridiculously tasty also and are fair easy to make :)
    Chocolate Truffles :)
    Ingredients
    25g of butter or margarine
    75ml of double cream
    225g of milk, white or dark cooking chocolate (this is for the centre)
    100g of any cooking chocolate for the outer coat, (I normally use more then 100g, but you can just keep melting more as you need)
    Method
    Line a tin with baking paper

Place butter and cream in a small saucepan and boil until it starts to bubble and remove from heat

Break the chocolate and stir into the cream/butter until its melted

Pour into the tin and chill it in the freezer. ( I did these twice and one it only took 5-10 mins the other time about 30mins, dependss Just it needs to be kinda solid but soft enough to roll and shape)

Break off small pieces and roll into balls(This bit is extremely messy, coz its still gonna be kinda runny) and chill in freezer again for 5mins

Break the 100g+ of chocolate in the microwave in 30second perioids, then dip your ball things into it and enjoy \o/ The coldness makes the melted chocolate dry straight off :)

They are really really nice, I swearsies!

Ooh I'm doing loads of Christmas baking tomorrow and was considering doing truffles, might give them a try deise :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Ultimate Christmassy dessert: Chocolate crepes with Chantilly cream.

Serves 6-8

Crepes:
    100g plain flour
    25g cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp fine sea salt
    1 tbsp caster sugar
    2 medium eggs
    1tbsp melted butter
    300ml whole milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Chocolate sauce:
    100g dark chocolate (Green & Black's Maya Gold is amazing for this)
    15g butter
    1 1.2 tbsp clear honey
    70ml whole milk

Chantilly cream:
    250ml double cream
    2 tbsp icing sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract

& flaked almonds to serve.

Crepes: Sift flour, cocoa powder and salt into a bowl, stir in sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in (lightly beaten) eggs, melted butter, milk, vanilla extract. Whisk to form a batter. Leave to stand and chill for 30 mins. Cook with a knob of butter over a medium heat for 1 1/2 mins each side, or until golden brown.

Sauce: Break chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add butter and honey. Allow to melt, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the milk.

Cream: Whip cream with the icing sugar and vanilla to soft peaks. Cover and chill until serving.

To serve, spread a layer of cream over one half of each crepe and scatter with the flaked almonds. fold the plain half of the crepe over the filling, then again into quarters. Drizzle the chocolate sauce over the crepe, with a few more flaked almonds, and some grated orange zest wouldn't go astray either!

Don't have a photo of ones I made, but this is what they're meant to look like!

Chocolate-crepes-cropped.jpg_e_be4a040f41dfb65a155b3b24351d007c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

apologies for Imperial measurements. I'm too lazy to convert

"Never-Fail" Chocolate Fudge Cake ("Alternative" Christmas Cake for Every Occasion)

a recipe that my grandmother gave to me but was originally designed by a pro chef
    • Serves many
    • May cause obesity, addiction and shortened life-span

Mix the following in a bowl:
    8oz Flour
    5oz Sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 tea spoon baking powder
    1 tea spoon bricarbonate of soda

Mix the following in a jug:
    2 eggs
    1/4 pint milk
    1/4 pint 'Crisp and Dry' oil
    2 tablespoons Golden Syrup

Pour the contents of the jug into the bowl, mix contents well.

Get two small cake tins, line them with tin foil. Pour this mixture equally into both cake tins. Heat the mixture at 150C for half an hour.

Whilst the cakes are being baked, get to work on the icing.

In a saucepan, mix:
    2oz butter
    3 tablespoons cocoa
    2lb icing sugar
    2oz milk

over a low heat until a thick icing is formed. It should be warm enough to spread over the cake (and between the two "layers") and should harden when cooled.

Spread the icing over the top layer and between the two layers.
    If successful, you should have produced something that looks better than this delicious, brown, icing-covered mess.
    1022342.jpg

If it does not look any better than the brown icing covered mess, do not fear! It probably tastes just as nice and is probably just as bad for your health.

Until next time,
    Chef!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Colm! wrote: »
    apologies for Imperial measurements. I'm too lazy to convert

Get off my internet :mad:

I made Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake last week. It was awesome.
    Link to the recipe in my blog if anyone is is interested.

So good, but too much will more than likely kill you.

3B5BB3567E0D41C6987FFCDD2CAE9401-0000316660-0002185064-00500L-483A1B99790A477488E9B167EB4E9552.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Wow, that looks so good! And professional!

/jealous

Konata wrote: »
    Wow, that looks so good! And professional!

/jealous

Thanks, it was actually really simple to make (once I remembered to add all the ingredients anyway). Basically just throw everything in a blender and bake. Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

*drools*

I was looking for a good recipe for peanut butter cheesecake for YEARS (a chef in a restaurant I worked in used to make it, and I never got around to asking her for the recipe). I've also been looking for ways to use up sour cream as I buy it for wraps and stuff, but I rarely use more than a few teaspoons before it goes off.

You just never stop giving, Kate! :D

It's awesome. Think the recipe I used was a nigella lawson one, so knowing her recipes it was bound to be rich :) let me know how you get on if you try it, it's so easy. And delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Reading week next week so I will most definitely be making it. :) I'll report back once I do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

How come its sour cream? :P

Does that not taste like onions?

Advertisement