Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink/Getting Drunk

Options
  • 26-12-2009 6:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Why is it that so many people seam to think that unless you drink yourself stupid you can't enjoy a good day or nite out?

I rarely drink and in my whole life got drunk twice and didn't enjoy the experience one bit.

What so good about not remembering anything, making a fool of oneself, fighting, drink driving, etc, etc and feeling crap the next day?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Kinda feel the same way sometimes. I see lots of my mates drinking and drinking so much that they make complete cúnts of themselves.

It is possible to enjoy yourself with out getting absolutely blotto, but having a few drinks to just get ''tipsy'' (whatever expression can be used: halfway there, mildly sloshed etc.) can be good to just get a buzz going.

No need to get totally smashed, but occasionally can be a laugh, if you can handle it.

I do have to say I hate gobshítes who think that ''If you're not gee-eyed, you can't be having fun''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I'm a non-alcoholic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I know people who say they're going out to get drunk. WTF, it's not something you plan to do, saps.

Anyways, getting tipsy is ok IMO, helps to me relax and to have a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I always get complimented on the fact that I stay out till 4 or 5 in the morning and don't drink. The people who compliment me on it are always pissed as farts telling me how they went out one night and didn't drink but were still dying and their stomach sick the next day (they always try drink the same number of soft drinks (usually lucozades) as someone drinking pints.... schoolboy error)

I don't mind people getting drunk and talking crap, it's when they get so drunk they can't stand up or do anything for themselves that makes me feel sorry for them. I have never been drunk, or even drank a pint or alcoholic drink at all since I was 10 (drinking the top of someones pint in a pub)

I don't need to be praised for the fact I don't drink, it's easy not missing what you have never had. Those who do drink would find it much more difficult and nearly impossible to not drink and listen to the crap being spoken in their local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I'm a non-alcoholic :)
    can i lick you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

My name is Ron and..........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

digme wrote: »
    can i lick you?

Are you male or female ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

There is a non-drinkers forum for this kind of post. You don't drink, whoopdi do.... you drink in moderation.... whoopdi do, fcuking blue peter's badges all around.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

cause your a dry ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I agree with the OP but wouldn't couch it in such 'holier then thou' terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

tudlytops wrote: »

What so good about not remembering anything, making a fool of oneself, fighting, drink driving, etc, etc and feeling crap the next day?

self contol is obviously an issue aswell. (sounds like im trolling but these posts really piss me off. if you dont like drink, or it does not agree with you. dont drink. simple as.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Why is it that so many people seam to think that unless you drink yourself stupid you can't enjoy a good day or nite out?
    Cause we are seriously immature when it comes to alcohol, and pretty defensive about it too as some of the posts above show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I often don't drink going out, couldn't really be arsed with the hangover in me mates house the next morning. I only drink if I'm staying in me own house that night.:o
    I love being drunk at times, hate it at times also, it depends what kind of drunk I get, giddy is good, tired is bad.
    I wanna get drunk tonight!:D

Meh, there must be something good about it if nearly everyone I know does it at least once a week.

Pro-tip OP: Drink 4-5 beers on a night out in the pub and none of the above will happen.. You'll look cooler aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Sitec wrote: »
    self contol is obviously an issue aswell.

I must agree, you after all willingly pouring the stuff down your neck. However drinking is fine if you can exercise a degree of control over it, thats a big if for most.

My own personal drinking habits have matured somewhat. In recent years Ive had zero blackouts and no instances of falling around 'blind drunk' which usually coincide with the blackouts. I try to plan ahead and pace myself on a nightout, my aim is to get to the club in a semi-decent state and then nothing really matters too much after that.

I have to admit that drinking is a strange act we all actively partake in, I mean you wouldn't/couldn't drink 10pints of mi wadi in relatively quick succession.

I certainly notice people that dont drink dont have as much fun (they'll also have less alcohol related problems)...I know there will be arguments rebutting this statement but I think it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

lugha wrote: »
    Cause we are seriously immature when it comes to alcohol, and pretty defensive about it too as some of the posts above show.

because we are seriously immature when it comes to generalising about a nation's drinking habits, and pretty smug about it too as some of the posts above show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

because we are seriously immature when it comes to generalising about a nation's drinking habits, and pretty smug about it too as some of the posts above show
    Ha ha. And denial is a river in Egypt. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I love the strategic timing of this thread - all the big drinkers still dying in bed, unable to move. Kudos OP. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I rarely drink and in my whole life got drunk twice and didn't enjoy the experience one bit.

With the exceptions of fighting (which I don't do) and feeling crap the next day it's a fun experience. If you don't like drink then it's hardly newsworthy but if you think it's a big deal pm me your home address and I'll post you a big shiny medal that you can show to your mom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

tribulus wrote: »
    I love the strategic timing of this thread - all the big drinkers still dying in bed, unable to move. Kudos OP. :pac:

No, all the big drinkers are still drinking. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Human traffic should be seen by all to explain the going out and getting drunk/high/off your face culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Why do the majority of non-drinkers seem to think heavy drinking always leads to fighting/drink driving etc?

SV wrote: »
    Human traffic should be seen by all to explain the going out and getting drunk/high/off your face culture.

Watched it again two nights ago.. Class movie. :cool:

"what's your name, what have ya had, reach for the lasers, safe as fuck"

edit:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

In my experiences, only about 1 in every 10 people would ever get too drunk, to the point were they start fighting/getting sick etc. So for the majority of people, drinking or getting drunk seems to be a fine way of enjoying yourself imo. Bar hangovers, I have rarely ever had bad experiences of drinking, same applies to most of my friends.

You have said that often drunk people make fools of themselves, now I can deifinitely see where you're coming from and how you come to this assumption, but sometimes this can be part of the fun. If I were to go out and make a fool of myself infront of people I didn't even know, why should I care? Once I'm not causing trouble or discomfort to anyone I don't see why anyone else would care what I do when I'm drunk. Plus would people not be considered even bigger fools if they had done this stuff while completely sober? Just my 2 cents anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 23R0

Why do people think it leads to fighting/drink driving?

Well, for a start, you can't drink drive unless you drink in the first place :D

And the fighting thing; well, the majority of people accept that alcohol brings out your true feelings, and those who control violent feelings are unable to do so when they drink.

Do some research into it, you'll be shocked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

SV wrote: »

How dare you associate the noble art of drinking with that piece of dross?

You sir will anger the Gods of Drinking and perhaps the Oh God of Hangovers if you're not careful.

No not say I didn't warn you when Insobrietus, Incontinencius and Bedspinnius come to wreak horrible vengence on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I've been drinking solidly for the last 3 days. I haven't gotten into a fight, I haven't argued with anyone, I haven't gotten sick, I haven't been falling around the place, I haven't been an imposition on anyone. Rather, I've been jovial and productive. Drinking gets a lot of bad press in this country, but the reality is most of us can drink it, and drink lots of it, without impinging on anyone else's enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i'm not big in drinking myself at all, very rare that i'll do it, and never more than two or three when i do. i don't mind anyone getting drunk etc as long as they don't piss me off. what does annoy me though, is that there's always a handful of pricks in every place that will constantly give you grief because you're not drinking.

"get locked man", "don't be a dry shyte"...

i'm not dry, i don't have less fun when i don't drink, and i don't sit there judging people when they're puking on the floor of whatever house/club/pub we're in. but when people give you grief because you don't feel like drinking, that puts me in bad humour. i like steak, but i'd never force a vegetarian to put ten of them down their neck. i smoke the occasional bag of cannabis, but i don't give people stick because they don't do it. the main thing that pisses me off though is that people will drink absolutely anything if their tipple of choice isn't available. one of my neighbours was over yesterday - "i hate wine it's disgusting, wouldn't water the plants with it blah blah blah, oh you've no bud? sure i'll drink the whole bottle of wine sure...". that's pitiful to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

I gave up the drink in November and I couldn't be happier.
    In 2 weeks I'm off it 2 months with 10 months to go off my target, once I reach the one year mark I might stay going, depending on what direction my life has gone, I might have reason to celebrate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cloneslad wrote: »
    makes me feel sorry for them.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" :)

I usually give it up after New Year for a month and also maybe Lent, but tbh going out is not the same without alcohol.

Advertisement