Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink/Getting Drunk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

For me, sometimes I go out with the intention of getting drunk. I'm good humoured and fun [even though I say so myself] when I've had a few drinks - sorry, I should say even more good humoured and fun than when am sober!!!

I like losing by inhibitions and having more confidence - saying things I may not have the courage to say. However, if I got narky and cranky, or was more likely to argue/fight with people, or if I had negative aspects I think that would put me off getting drunk.

There have been a few occasions where I've not remembered parts of the night, and that's scary as I realise how vulnerable I must have been. I think drink can have many negative elements, and lacking common sense can sometimes be one of this. It's scary sometimes how easily you can be led by things/people with drink on ya.

I don't see any issue with people that don't drink, but I don't like the hoighty toighty snobbery of sober people that sometimes accompanies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Magnus wrote: »
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" :)

I usually give it up after New Year for a month and also maybe Lent, but tbh going out is not the same without alcohol.

Hi! all thanks for all the comments.

This is exactly why I place the question, why do drinker feel sorry for people who don't drink.?

I have gone out and drunk and gone out and not drunk and i prefer not to drink, I enjoy it a lot more.

But people always seam to look at me somewhat strange when i say i don't drink, some even asked me, so why do you go out? or how can you celebrate Xmas if you don't drink, i find these very silly questions indeed.

And why do they expect me to be the designated driver every time, just because i don't drink, don't mean i want to be the taxi driver at the end of the nite to a bunch of drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

tudlytops wrote: »
    why do drinker feel sorry for people who don't drink.?
    Part of the defensiveness methinks. The reaction is pretty unique to drinking.

So you don't eat meat? Meh
    So you don't dabble with any illegal drugs? Meh
    So you don't smoke? So what? Only Neanderthals smoke!
    So you don't drink? Why not?, what's the matter with you / I feel sorry for you /How can life have any meaning for you? / What are you so smug about? / Do you want a medal? Etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

cloneslad wrote:

makes me feel sorry for them.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" :)

You took that partial quote totally out of context. I don't feel sorry for people who drink or are drunk, far from it. As long as they are happy and not trying to fight or drive I don't care.

What I said was
    cloneslad wrote:
    I don't mind people getting drunk and talking crap, it's when they get so drunk they can't stand up or do anything for themselves that makes me feel sorry for them

If they are hassling me by me having to take care of them, then I get annoyed.

I usually give it up after New Year for a month and also maybe Lent, but tbh going out is not the same without alcohol.

As someone who has never drank alcohol, I live in ignorance as to what it's like to be out drining. As I said before, it's much harder for someone who does drink to go on a night out and listen to drunk ppl because they aren't used to it. I don't know any better.

plus some people need alcohol to give them confidence to chat to people / girls etc. I don't, I'm prob too talkative and confident as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DazMarz wrote: »
    It is possible to enjoy yourself with out getting absolutely blotto

honestly, in ireland anyway, its not. at least not with any of my mates

if you try it you have to put up with a night of "sure go on, have a vodka, you may as well get locked" over and over and over again. then as everyone else starts getting locked and acting like clowns i find its time to go home

in short, it IS possible to have a brilliant time without drinking, but not so much in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Why is it that so many people seam to think that unless you drink yourself stupid you can't enjoy a good day or nite out?

I rarely drink and in my whole life got drunk twice and didn't enjoy the experience one bit.

What so good about not remembering anything, making a fool of oneself, fighting, drink driving, etc, etc and feeling crap the next day?

wait, you mean to tell me that people do things you don't enjoy and this confuses you?

holy shitting baby jesus on a rocket powered cross, it's a goddamn Christmas mystery!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Could just change the title of this thread to dry ar5es little love it

Anyway god help you lads, poor fcukers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

it's a goddamn Christmas mystery!

Best Call the Hardly Boys!

Could just change the title of this thread to dry ar5es little love it

Anyway god help you lads, poor fcukers

Yeah you're prob right.....we should all drink and snort plant fertiliser just like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

What so good about not remembering anything, making a fool of oneself, fighting, drink driving, etc, etc and feeling crap the next day?

Some people should never be allowed to drink. They are easily led and just copy their mates drink for drink. When they plain and simply are not able for it! One friend comes to mind when I think of that.

There is nothing good about not-remembering anything. If that's the case most people take it easy after that and try and make sure that doesn't happen again.

I got pretty damn wasted at a party few weeks ago. I never intended to get that drunk. But I forgot my limits, as I hadn't been on a big session like that....in...probably a year or two!

Now since that has happened I've learnt my limits again.
    People need to realise it for themselves. Other folks telling them-hey ease up on the drink- in my experience doesn't work.
    As for the fighting...I've never been in a physical fight.

Plus I've learnt certain places are always guaranteed to have fights so I avoid those pubs/towns and go elsewhere to enjoy my alcohol!

As for the non-drinkers. I've a mate who is now 30 and he has never smoked or drank and he is the life and soul of the party!
    But he's the only one I know like that. I can't stand the condesending non-drinkers who look down on someone because they have ordered an alcoholic drink. Then start giving me a lecture/mini-lecture.

If someone wants to drink. LET THEM.
    If someone doesn't want to drink. LET THEM.

Anyway I'm off back to me whiskey and coke.
    Merry Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

What gets me is how most non-drinkers have this "all-or-nothing" attitude. If you drink, you get pissed, rowdy, lecherous and dangerous. If you don't drink, you're on another level of consciousness, looking down on those who enjoy a tipple, not understanding how these proles can do this to themselves and society (oh, woe!).

High horses must have been going very cheap in the last ten years.

Proxy wrote: »
    What gets me is how most non-drinkers have this "all-or-nothing" attitude. If you drink, you get pissed, rowdy, lecherous and dangerous. If you don't drink, you're on another level of consciousness, looking down on those who enjoy a tipple, not understanding how these proles can do this to themselves and society (oh, woe!).

i went out to do the 12 pubs on wednesday, i had 2 pints which was all i ever intended on having. but the rubbish i had to put up from my mates every time i ordered a soft drink was sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

lugha wrote: »
    Part of the defensiveness methinks. The reaction is pretty unique to drinking.

So you don't eat meat? Meh
    So you don't dabble with any illegal drugs? Meh
    So you don't smoke? So what? Only Neanderthals smoke!
    So you don't drink? Why not?, what's the matter with you / I feel sorry for you /How can life have any meaning for you? / What are you so smug about? / Do you want a medal? Etc. etc.

Hmm I'm more likely to question someone who doesn't eat meat than doesn't drink. That's the strange one to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I have gone out and drunk and gone out and not drunk and i prefer not to drink, I enjoy it a lot more.

I have gone out and drunk and gone out and not drunk and I prefer to drink.Thats my choice a nd I shouldent have to explain it to anyone,just like you shouldent have to explain your choice to everyone.

I have been drunk that I have forgot parts of the night,but I have never caused any hassle with other people. Its all just a bit of craic,young people unwinding.

And Lugha,get over it for christ sake,if you dont drink I couldent give 2 sh1tes tbh.Its not defensive and its not offensive,I simply just dont care.

Thats the problem with some people who dont drink,they are too busy getting there high horse up onto that soapbox that they totally lose sight of reality.

Thats my choice a nd I shouldent have to explain it to anyone,just like you shouldent have to explain your choice to everyone.

spot on

however theres an incredible pressure to drink in this country which i never noticed until i came home for christmas (coz i used to drink a hell of a lot more), and ive noticed that im viewed as some sort of anti social lepper for not getting drunk when im out - to the extent that im just not bothering going out again in ireland between now and when i fly back to canada, its not worth listening to the shìte

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Helix wrote: »
    i went out to do the 12 pubs on wednesday, i had 2 pints which was all i ever intended on having. but the rubbish i had to put up from my mates every time i ordered a soft drink was sickening
    What did you expect when you went on a 12-pub crawl and ordered soft drinks? Just take the slagging, or maybe just don't go on a massive pub crawl.

Now i'm off to have a few pints of plain and write some poetry.

What did you expect when you went on a 12-pub crawl and ordered soft drinks? Just take the slagging, or maybe just don't go on a massive pub crawl.

i was going out with my mates since im back in the country for a few weeks before going back to canada. i thought it was fair enough that i head out with the lads, regardless of whether they were doing a pub crawl or not, and no have to listen to their crap

slagging is fine

but when every single pub has the same "ill buy you a pint, no go on. have a pint ffs. its only one, go on" for 10 minutes, it starts to get a bit irritating

It's actually ruined a friendship of mine.

My friend has an alcoholic father and mother, which I can relate to on the father side of things.
    Her and her brothers have never drank as they have seen the damage it has done and the heartache it has caused to their families.
    Fair enough, I completely understand people who don't drink due to reasons such as that.

I think she thought because our fathers were similar that I also would never drink and shared her view on the matter. But I did start to and that started the end of our friendship.
    I know she was only worried and was in her way expressing her views to me. But having someone on and on and on and on at you to never drink does cause a strain.

Also on a night out, the sly digs some of the sober people get in isn't fair. Esp if I haven't made any digs/remarks to them.
    I've been out on LOADS of sober nights and I have had fun. Mostly at the expense of the drunk folks as they do provide good entertainment. :D

But I like my alcohol. I like going to the pub, watching a match with a nice pint. I love catching up with old friends and popping into a few pubs for good few drinks to catch up!
    Not everyone who drinks goes about fighting and getting sick.
    All the drinkers I know (and that's alot!) never say..."Let's go get wasted!"

I've always loved the pubs more than the clubs. It's in the clubs where the limits are pushed. Still have no problem going to them as I do like a wee dance!
    If someone is annoying me when they are drunk in a pub/club. I walk away. I still be polite about it ha, but it's pretty simple enough to walk away.

High horses must have been going very cheap in the last ten years.
    You might have had a point about unfair generalizations about drinkers if you hadn't started your post with a generalization about non-drinkers. :P There are a couple of drinkers amongst my circle of friends (I'm not one of them) and I don't detect any of this superiority attitude than others seem to pick up. And I don't think many people argue that all those who drink, even to excess, will subsequently cause trouble. But a minority do, and that makes weekend nights a very unpleasant place in our towns and cities.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hmm I'm more likely to question someone who doesn't eat meat than doesn't drink. That's the strange one to me...
    Possibly, but I suspect there are a lot more of them

• Advertisement

I can see how it was getting annoying. You should have just joked back with them and said..."Lads, there's something I have to tell you...the reason I can't drink...is because....I'm pregnant!!" :D

If my mates get onto me about not drinking I simply joke back to them.
    But I can see how you would be annoyed with them going on and on. They probably had a few at that stage and were just getting into their party mode maybe.

spot on

however theres an incredible pressure to drink in this country which i never noticed until i came home for christmas (coz i used to drink a hell of a lot more), and ive noticed that im viewed as some sort of anti social lepper for not getting drunk when im out - to the extent that im just not bothering going out again in ireland between now and when i fly back to canada, its not worth listening to the shìte

How do they know you aint drunk if they are drunk? Again this is where I would come in with the joking and be like....
    "Sure jaysus don't you remember I did that and this and you were roaring laughing?" etc etc :D mess with their drunken heads.

Maybe you might need to catch up with some other old friends instead f those ones. I really wouldn't stay in the whole time because of that.
    Hell go out and get chatting to some new folk for the craic!
    It's a pity you haven't had a good time since you have been home though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't get this whole drink in moderation, one or two beers craic. What's the point in drinking alcohol if your not intending to get drunk? Alcohol is a drug for the specific purpose of getting a person drunk. I don't see why people would consume a harmful, toxic chemical unless they where to get something out of it (like getting drunk). It doesn't taste nice unless you drink enough of it to become so accustomed to it your body gives up trying to make you stop putting poison in your in body.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    How do they know you aint drunk if they are drunk?

coz theyve just been drinking theyre not idiots like

ScumLord wrote: »
    What's the point in drinking alcohol if your not intending to get drunk?

i enjoy the taste of cider

And Lugha,get over it for christ sake,if you dont drink I couldent give 2 sh1tes tbh.Its not defensive and its not offensive,I simply just dont care.
    Well I do drink. And whatever about you, there are a few testimonies here from some folk whose friends do seem to be excessively concerned with what they are drinking. This is part of what I see as the immaturity. If we were a bit more grown up, those who wanted to drink would, and those that didn't would not, and as you say, nobody would give a s***. But a lot of drinkers seemingly do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

I rarely go out, but when I do Its with full intention of getting at leasta bit tipsy. Thats why I have a case of miller for myself for new years. Normally it starts off with a mate and I playing vodka roulette and then hitting a pub for a hour, then finding a party and waking up on a couch with awful hangovers- and complete memory of what happened. I only had one bad night out and Still remember every detail. I dont drink regularly... But when I do... I ****ing do it properly! PROPA FOOKED without idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Why is it that so many people seam to think that unless you drink yourself stupid you can't enjoy a good day or nite out?

I rarely drink and in my whole life got drunk twice and didn't enjoy the experience one bit.

I don't drink myself but a lot of my friends do.They do it to escape the monotony of working all week and going to the pub and having a few drinks gives them a release i can see where they're coming from.They maybe make fools of themselves with drink talk etc but if they don't mind talking ****e then who am i to complain :D.The days of drink driving are gone none of my mates do it plenty of taxis around as for fighting sure ya see it every week in town just because a few people can't handle their drink doesn't mean everyone should stop drinking.Besides it's Stephens day should be enjoying it whether you drink or not those who drink beer drink one for me :D and ill drink a can of red bull for ye:o.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't get this whole drink in moderation, one or two beers craic. What's the point in drinking alcohol if your not intending to get drunk? Alcohol is a drug for the specific purpose of getting a person drunk. I don't see why people would consume a harmful, toxic chemical unless they where to get something out of it (like getting drunk). It doesn't taste nice unless you drink enough of it to become so accustomed to it your body gives up trying to make you stop putting poison in your in body.

I agree except with the taste comment :P

Anyways, why is everyone on their high horse about not drinking? Who cares like.
    Is it because it's Christmas and since everyone around you is drinking, the only way to be happy through it is to feel superior?
    Why are we even discussing this? It's just alcohol like.

I agree except with the taste comment :P

Anyways, why is everyone on their high horse about not drinking? Who cares like.
    Is it because it's Christmas and since everyone around you is drinking, the only way to be happy through it is to feel superior?
    Why are we even discussing this? It's just alcohol like.

I don't drink but I have been last out of the pub on tues and wednesday, left it at 2 on thurs, was in my mates house with people drinking all day yesterday and I'm heading out now in a few mins and I suspect it's gonna be a late one tonight.

we aren't all dry shits, it's the ones who moan about it that I would be worried about!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I do like the taste of an ice cold beer, but I will agree I'd rather order a coke instead of spending a tenner on two pints and getting no buzz from it.

Advertisement