Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer to switch on and off heating zones

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

This is the problem here, no regulations. Do you go by instruction given by manufactures or go by British regs. If you don't install by manufacture instruction they wont look at installation should something go wrong under guarantee.

All we have here is Co Council water division and Bord Gas. Co Council rep will check out installation before connecting new water main, Bord Gas rep will check out installation before making supply available.

Oil and LPG pretty much do anything you want.

With system link, 2 I can think of, working off new gas meter fitted before RGI. No issues at all.

Has their been a change since RGI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

items wrote: »
    Noticed a few things with safetys, hot water etc. I don't think the chap can do plumbing, best sort out wiring first.

Gary, system link boxes are designed in a way where there is no transfer of heat while circulation pump is not running. The manifold has all kinds of baffles etc. I've fitted a few of these with just cylinder stat as hot water control, no motorized valves, as per system link instructions.

The cylinder could be from heat merchants, I think its Italian, amazing the amount of times I see those cylinders are fitted with no tun dish.

That's what i was thinking.The zone pump is off so no heat transfer.Unlike a system with common pump where you'd need to close off the loop.I assume there's no safety aspect to it??

If you don't install by manufacture instruction they wont look at installation should something go wrong under guarantee.
    Thats my day job:D

There are no regs for unvented cylinders worth talking about, forget about the UK regs as manufactures regs are exactly the same, the only time it's an issue is if things have gone pear shaped and there is a investigation into the reason for the damage or injury(it happens), the people writing the reports can be anybody from the insures to health and safety (or me), when they look at a instillation it's the manufactures manual they will have in the hand, so opinions don't come in to it, it's what the man holding the manual interprets and he'll be looking for that valve as the manual says it must be fitted, if a installation meets what the makers are asking you will never have a issue and your protected from any fallout, but if you fit a product outside of the requirements then it's on you(potentially), no zone valves effect the warranty with my cylinders, the manufactures instructions trump anything else, i get problems with system links where the boiler will run 24/7 because the wiring diagram for the system link didn't show what the boiler needed to work properly, I'll do my "not want to suck eggs" bit:) and ask why they didn't read the book with the pictures that came with the boiler and they blame the plumber for not Fing telling them, which i find funny as plumbers tend to get the shakes if you hand them a 3 amp fuse. I love the new gas regs as i can report fruit loops a lot easier, Gary.

So if cylinder instructions call for the use of MV, but system link calls for only thermostat, who wins? The whole idea behind system link is to take out use of MV's, installing MV's along with system link is like doing same job twice if you get me. Strange one alright.

Cylinder in picture looks familiar, heat merchants supply a cylinder just like that one. All instructions in Italian, no English. A lot of these un vented cylinders come from the other side of the world, believe it or not, safety kit is sold separate in some cases, suppliers make safety kit out to be an "extra". I'd say that is why tun dish, T&P appear missing in above pictures.

Un vented cylinders are fairly new here, good few plumbers out there find them selves fitting one for first time, some don't seem to know about safety kit, then its easy to see why, supplier not including safety kit along with installation manual in foreign language.

If its a retro fit, anything goes.

So if cylinder instructions call for the use of MV, but system link calls for only thermostat, who wins?

The instructions manual for a system link is general, the instruction manual for a cylinder is specific, i would advise you go with specific instruction because the system link stuff may not cover what the manufactures of the cylinder are telling you must be fitted if you are to use their cylinder, if you don't comply with the fitting requirements then thats on you,(i'm sounding more & more like a boiler policeman:eek:) the installation requirements for all the cylinders i have come in to contact with require that safety two port to be fitted and i am happy to be proved wrong:)
    The whole idea behind system link is to take out use of MV's, installing MV's along with system link is like doing same job twice if you get me. Strange one alright. .

I am not saying i agree with the requirement but it's a installation requirement non the less.
    Cylinder in picture looks familiar, heat merchants supply a cylinder just like that one. All instructions in Italian, no English. A lot of these un vented cylinders come from the other side of the world, believe it or not, safety kit is sold separate in some cases, suppliers make safety kit out to be an "extra"..

If the instructions are not asking you to fit the cylinder in a certain manor then you have no problem.
    Un vented cylinders are fairly new here, good few plumbers out there find them selves fitting one for first time, some don't seem to know about safety kit, then its easy to see why, supplier not including safety kit along with installation manual in foreign language..

Unvented cylinders have been Ireland a long time, it just depends where you are, if a installer/plumber is fitting unvented cylinders then they would be deemed as a competent person and as such should understand the installation/safety requirements for a unvented cylinder or they shouldn't be doing it, in all fairness it ain't rocket science(I'm not including the two port, only nerds like me would get that one)
    If its a retro fit, anything goes.

If you fit a replacement unvented cylinder and there is damage due to a installation error you missed, your insurance would be paying out, because as a competent installer you should have spotted the defect.:D Gary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i thought you were a cylinder policeman:D

gary71 wrote: »
    The instructions manual for a system link is general, the instruction manual for a cylinder is specific, i would advise you go with specific instruction because the system link stuff may not cover what the manufactures of the cylinder are telling you must be fitted if you are to use their cylinder, if you don't comply with the fitting requirements then thats on you,(i'm sounding more & more like a boiler policeman:eek:) the installation requirements for all the cylinders i have come in to contact with require that safety two port to be fitted and i am happy to be proved wrong:)

I am not saying i agree with the requirement but it's a installation requirement non the less.

If the instructions are not asking you to fit the cylinder in a certain manor then you have no problem.

Unvented cylinders have been Ireland a long time, it just depends where you are, if a installer/plumber is fitting unvented cylinders then they would be deemed as a competent person and as such should understand the installation/safety requirements for a unvented cylinder or they shouldn't be doing it, in all fairness it ain't rocket science(I'm not including the two port, only nerds like me would get that one)

If you fit a replacement unvented cylinder and there is damage due to a installation error you missed, your insurance would be paying out, because as a competent installer you should have spotted the defect.:D Gary

Nice one cheers. Always seems to be confusion over different systems from gravity to pressurized and so on between different manufactures. A system fitted covering all safety aspects and regs, takes more time and costs more than a system with corners cut, trouble is, in Ireland it's very easy to install a system with corners cut. The only time a difference is noticed is when its too late. Most homeowners find it hard to understand heating systems so they don't know if systems are being fitted by regs, would be great to see an overall improvement, just like gas safety has improved.

davelerave wrote: »
    i thought you were a cylinder policeman:D

With all the cowboys i deal with, i see myself more as sheriff:cool:, ye ha..........

Advertisement