Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy new year ?

• 26-12-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

Could someone please tell me how to say Happy new year ?

I know how to say 'thank you' but could you also tell me how to say:

"thank you very much for the presents" ?

and how about "she is going to Derry"

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Hi,

I'm not a "real" Irish speaker so you'll no doubt get something more reliable than this!!:

Happy New Year - Le gach dea-ghuí i gcomhair na hAthbhliana (with every good wish/prayer for the new year)

Thank you for the presents - Go raibh maith agat (or go raibh maith agaibh for plural) as ucht na bronntanais.

She is going to Derry - Tá sí ag dul go Doire.

Maybe wait for someone else to reply for something more accurate, but they'll definitely understand the above :) I read in another post that you're English and learning Irish from scratch - that's great - I've wondered what it's like when you haven't been brought up with it, keep up the good work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Hi Littlecat

Thanks for that. I am happy to say I was quite close with the Derry one but a little way out on the others..... ah well, some progress there at least.

Thanks very much for your encouragement.

Go raibh maith agat agus Le gach dea-ghuí i gcomhair na hAthbhliana

Couldn't have put it better myself ;)

Go raibh maith agat, gurab amhlaidh duit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

flynnboy wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me how to say Happy new year ?

Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit
    Athbhliain faoi shéan is faoi mhaise duit

They are the two most common ways of saying Happy New Year!

They are the two most common ways of saying Happy New Year!

Thank you MM. Would you mind telling me how they tanslate ?

• Advertisement

"Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit" is a prosperous new year to you, not sure about the faoi shéan bit?

littlecat wrote: »
    "Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit" is a prosperous new year to you, not sure about the faoi shéan bit?

"Faoi shéan" has the same meaning as "faoi mhaise", ie prosperous. The repeating of nouns and adjectives is a very common feature of Early Modern Irish (circa 13th to 17th century). For example, in the Early Modern Irish text of Tóruigheacht Dhiarmada agus Ghráinne, you have
    "... óir atáim lé bliadhuin gan mhnaoi gan bhainchéile ...".
    It serves to reinforce the message.

Would anyone care to write this phonetically for me ?

flynnboy wrote: »
    Would anyone care to write this phonetically for me ?

Ahh-vleen fwee washah ditch
    Ahh-vleen fwee hane iss fwee washah ditch

Ahh-vleen fwee washah ditch
    Ahh-vleen fwee hane iss fwee washah ditch

Brilliant. Thanks again for all of your help, it is very much appreciated.

Athbhliain faoi shéan is faoi mhaise daoibh

• Advertisement

Hi again guys.

If I wanted to say "Did you have a good Xmas?" Would that be along the lines of "Was it a Xmas good you had "? If so would that be something like:

Bhi se Nollaig maith/shona ata agat ?

Hi again,

Closest to your sentence is "Bhí Nollaig shona/maith agat?" or "Nollaig shona/maith a bhí agat?" meaning "You had a good Christmas?". "Bhí sé" means "it was" so the sé is unnecessary there, also atá is present tense, a bhí being past tense.

"Did you have...?" would be "An raibh... agat?" so - "An raibh Nollaig maith/shona agat?"

You could also say "Ar bhain tú/sibh taitneamh as an Nollaig?" meaning "Did you enjoy Christmas?" or literally did you get enjoyment from Christmas. Pronounced "Err vwin too/shiv tanniv".

As always, your effort is excellent and perfectly understandable! I'm using this as practise for myself too, having not used Irish regularly for over 10 years, so thanks! And apologies to the likes of Micilín Muc who I'm probably driving demented with my basic language :)

One other point - I have Munster Irish and yours is Donegal so there may be some differences, though I think anything I've said so far is common to all dialects - pronunciation could be different.

littlecat wrote: »
    Hi again,

Closest to your sentence is "Bhí Nollaig shona/maith agat?" or "Nollaig shona/maith a bhí agat?" meaning "You had a good Christmas?". "Bhí sé" means "it was" so the sé is unnecessary there, also atá is present tense, a bhí being past tense.

"Did you have...?" would be "An raibh... agat?" so - "An raibh Nollaig maith/shona agat?"

You could also say "Ar bhain tú/sibh taitneamh as an Nollaig?" meaning "Did you enjoy Christmas?" or literally did you get enjoyment from Christmas. Pronounced "Err vwin too/shiv tanniv".

As always, your effort is excellent and perfectly understandable! I'm using this as practise for myself too, having not used Irish regularly for over 10 years, so thanks! And apologies to the likes of Micilín Muc who I'm probably driving demented with my basic language :)

One other point - I have Munster Irish and yours is Donegal so there may be some differences, though I think anything I've said so far is common to all dialects - pronunciation could be different.

Go raibh mile maith agat aris !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Hope this isn't too late!

I second the "Athbhliain faoi shéan is faoi mhaise duit" for "Happy new year". It's the one I use, and the one I've heard most often.

For "Did you have a good Christmas?", I agree with Littlecat - "Ar bhain sibh taitneamh as an Nollaig" sounds more natural. If it were me, I'd use "sult" instead of "taitneamh" in this case. I'm not sure why exactly, it just sounds better to my ears! :o

Aard wrote: »
    Hope this isn't too late!

I second the "Athbhliain faoi shéan is faoi mhaise duit" for "Happy new year". It's the one I use, and the one I've heard most often.

For "Did you have a good Christmas?", I agree with Littlecat - "Ar bhain sibh taitneamh as an Nollaig" sounds more natural. If it were me, I'd use "sult" instead of "taitneamh" in this case. I'm not sure why exactly, it just sounds better to my ears! :o

It's never too late Aard :D Thanks .

Okay guys so what is this one : "Blian úr mhaith duit" ? and this one "Le Meas" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

A good new year

With respect

craoltoir wrote: »
    A good new year

With respect

Hmmmm, I just get more confused.... so what is the difference between Athbhliain.... and Blian ur..... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Bliain úr would be what they say in the northern part of the country.

Ath would be the later or after year ie following year, if that makes it any clearer.

craoltoir wrote: »
    Bliain úr would be what they say in the northern part of the country.

Ath would be the later or after year ie following year, if that makes it any clearer.

Ah yes, that would explain it as I am in Donegal.:) Go raibh mile maith agat

Advertisement