Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help badly needed; computer freezing at Vista loading bar/at desktop

• 26-12-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

Could really do with help if anyone is able.

I'm running an Asus A5SL laptop with Vista Home PRemium. Is around a year old. Intel Duo Core t5550, 250gb Hard drive, ATI mobility Radeon HD 3470.

Been having problems with it for a few months now and I'm really fed up with it.

Every time I boot up, Vista will freeze at the green loading bar, sometimes it will fix itself, but usually it will stay frozen unless I hold down the ctrl and alt keys (I have no idea why). THere are no problems at all in safe mode.

When on the desktop it's no better, sometimes it will run extremely well, without any problems. Other times, it freezes. If the Ctrl and Alt keys are held down, then it will run normally (although holding down the Ctrl and Alt keys make typing extremely tough as letters can be put in their alternate form when these 2 keys are held down) but if the keys are not pressed, then the computer stays frozen.

Would anyone be able to help me out? I'm trying to write assignments and the freezing is doing my head in. I've reinstalled Vista and the same problems arise.
    Any help greatfully appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

if a reinstall didn't sort it out i'd be thinking that there's a problem with the actual keyboard itself. have you tried a different keyboard? Maybe a ps/2 keyboard if the one you are using is usb and vice versa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It's a laptop with an integrated keyboard; any way I can test this?

you could plug in a usb keyboard for a pc and see if it does the same thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Do you have the discs that comes with the lappy?
    Try doing a repair.

Do you have the discs that comes with the lappy?
    Try doing a repair.

the op already reinstalled vista, and the problems still there, so i don't think a repair will resolve it either....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Coolmaster

Well I've never heard of a problem like that before. After you've reinstalled Vista what happens now? Note do you regulary scan your pc. It may be a virus?

Run AVG virus scans every week. Nothing going for that either.

Also tried defragging it but same problems.

quaidox wrote: »
    you could plug in a usb keyboard for a pc and see if it does the same thing....

Uninstalled the integrated keyboard but when I reinstalled the drivers, the same problems arose (unable to disable it as it's integrated)

It's not the mouse; disconnected/reinstalled/disabled it etc and the same problems were there.

Uninstalled the integrated keyboard but when I reinstalled the drivers, the same problems arose (unable to disable it as it's integrated)

It's not the mouse; disconnected/reinstalled/disabled it etc and the same problems were there.

what i mean for you to try is an external usb keyboard. you can leave the onboard keyboard enabled, both of em will still work at the same time.
    if there is something physically wrong with your onboard keyboard, uninstalling and reinstalling the windows drivers for it isn't going to make any difference. it sounds to me like there is dirt caught under the keys. if you have access to a can of compressed air it might be worth giving it a blast. maybe even take out the keyboard from the laptop and give it a good shake/blast of compressed air.

Could it be a keyboard problem? The mouse doesn't work either when the computer freezes.

• Advertisement

are you using an external mouse or the integrated touchpad?

Using an external mouse since I got the laptop. Worked fine up until now.

the plot thickens!
    i'd still recommend trying an external keyboard and seeing if the problem happens when you use that instead of the onboard keyboard.....

Tried external keyboard, same problems still arose, still worked if I held down CTL and ALT as well.

Any other advice? It's wrecking my head so it is.

Advertisement