Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying from a dealership

• 26-12-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hopefully this is a easy question. I was just wondering if negotiating/haggling is expected when you go to buy a new/used car from a dealership? And does anyone have a general idea what the markup is for used cars?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Negotiation is always expected. The best advice with used cars is to forget about the asking price and to focus on the actual value of the car. There will be less room for movement on a car that's keenly-priced to start with. With a new car it's much simpler - just shop around, and make every dealer aware that you'll be going ahead with whoever offers you the keenest price. If you've a trade-in then don't get bogged down in discounts etc - the only figure that matters is the cost to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anan1 wrote: »
    Negotiation is always expected. The best advice with used cars is to forget about the asking price and to focus on the actual value of the car. There will be less room for movement on a car that's keenly-priced to start with. With a new car it's much simpler - just shop around, and make every dealer aware that you'll be going ahead with whoever offers you the keenest price. If you've a trade-in then don't get bogged down in discounts etc - the only figure that matters is the cost to change.

+1

You are expected to negotiate, and if you volunteer to pay full price for a car I'm sure the salesperson will probably fall off their seat.

Let us know what you're planning to buy, we'll give you a pretty good idea of the price you should pay for it.

My sister worked with a chap about 5 years ago that bought a year or two old Golf for the windscreen price, he had no trade in and was a cash customer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I bought an 03 Focus last month, 55k on the clock, 18months NCT, really awesome car, asking price was 4950, got it for 4200 (without the service that should have come with it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RoverJames wrote: »
    My sister worked with a chap about 5 years ago that bought a year or two old Golf for the windscreen price, he had no trade in and was a cash customer :rolleyes:

There is a guy at where I work like that, they are rare enough but out there. His logic was that if the seller was willing to sell it at a lower price then he would have asked for the lower price. :eek: It had me thinking "a fool and his money soon part."

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »

I had a customer who ordered a quite high-spec A4 from me. He's a successful novelist and is surely not too short for cash.

He was quite prepared to buy the car for RRP.

After we had agreed the spec and shook hands on the deal I actually stopped him in his tracks and offered a discount because I felt it wasn't fair.

The money I offered him off the car is probably a drop in the ocean compared to the money he's used to dealing with, but the idea that he'd be in the pub with his mates and admit that he paid full price for a car didn't sit right with me - I'd much rather that he got an average deal with no effort than to get no deal at all and resent me for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Ha ha ha! Paddy Clarke, by any chance? :D

Not your ornery onager

No names will be named :D

Advertisement