Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hard drive cloner or summit

• 26-12-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

how are ye all

hope ye all had a lovely xmas day yesterday

i am looking to find a software that will clone my hard drive onto another hard drive, so that it will simply be a case of removing the existing hard drive int he desktop, fitting the 'backup/standby' hard drive when the computer gets dog slow.

Here is the thing, i am living in Germany and after a couple of weeks my dads pc gets dog slow, he dont know how to reinstall and reformat xp so, i was thinkin of just having a spare hard drive on standby for him to fit, that will have a fresh copy of xp install and will run at optimal speeds.

He has no bother fitting hard drives, its just the reformatting/reinstalling that he has bother with

thanks very much for the help

ed

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bestway is with a bootable CD so the files aren't in use,

before cloning , empty all temp files and do a quick tidy up to save time copying junk

clonezilla is good - there are others do a search on the forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Alearner

I tried cloning a hard disk which had Windows 200 Professional.

I used Acronis.

The original hard disk was 20 GB (!!!) in size, and the new one was bigger, (maybe 80 GB)

The operation didn't work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alearner wrote: »
    I tried cloning a hard disk which had Windows 200 Professional.

I used Acronis.

The original hard disk was 20 GB (!!!) in size, and the new one was bigger, (maybe 80 GB)

The operation didn't work.
    check that the partition is bootable and is at the same offset from the start of the HDD

and BTW windows cloning will usually fail if you copy to a pc with a different mother board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Depending on the new drive you buy, software such as Seagate DiscWizard (or the fujitsu or other equivalent) is available as a free download. This will make an exact copy from an existing drive to a new drive. Very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

But what happens when, after a few weeks, the second drive becomes slow also? Surely it would be better to focus on why the computer is getting slow after a short period of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

thanks for the help guys

it worked a treat.

i ended up using seagate wizard in the end, worked a treat, so a special thanks to TJJP for that.

happy new years to all

all the best

ed

Advertisement