Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation problem after installing triple glazing and putting insulation in attic

• 26-12-2009 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

We recently changed the windows in our house and put in new triple glazing windows. We also added 9 inches of insulation to the existing 4 inches in the attic. In addition we blocked up the chimney and other vents.

All of the above has resulted in reduced heating bills but has left us with a condensation problem. The condensation is occurring on the walls/ceils and not on the windows themselves which is a problem I have come across online.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is a humidifier the best solution? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

You need to unblock some of your vents. Efficiently heating your home is a compromise between heat retention and air quality.
    How do you heat the house? Gas? Be careful about carbon monoxide poisioning if you heat by combustion and have vents blocked..........
    I wouldn't start using a dehumidifier. Unblock vents, you'll be surprised how heat efficient the house still is with appropriate fresh air changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You definitely need ventilation, blocking vents is pushing it too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Facelessman

the heating is electric but i see your point. I think we did overkill. I am planning on opening all the vents and then seeing if that has a positive effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

what is the u value of your walls, putting in triple glazing would have a poor payback when compared to insulatating the walls. condesation will occur on the coldess surface, so the walls and the celing are the weakest part. ventilation is the only way around it. unblock the vent now. you will have mould build up and unwanted sickness and smells in the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Green Issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement