Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shops open in city open today 26th dec?

Options
  • 26-12-2009 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi we have visitors for Christmas who want to do a little shopping, Does anyone know if everywhere is closed St Stephans day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have not been in town today, but many stores have been advertising sales starting on the 26th. Between the town centre and the retail parks there should be a nice few open.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Today is the 26th, not 27th. Thread renamed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Next, Dunnes Childers Road, Tesco Crescent..Tk Maxx, probably others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

In town earlier went for a walk, all thats open is HMV, Boots and Xtra Vision, everywhere else is closed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

Why does anyone want to go shopping today FFS. Think of all the staff who are away from their families just to serve you as you prance around shops. The greed of the Celtic Tiger continues. I hope the recession hits you harder in 2010 so you won't be asking this question this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

DOS wrote: »
    Why does anyone want to go shopping today FFS. Think of all the staff who are away from their families just to serve you as you prance around shops. The greed of the Celtic Tiger continues. I hope the recession hits you harder in 2010 so you won't be asking this question this time next year.

ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Grinch?

grinch.jpg

That is a nasty comment to make. Maybe the OP has relatives that are not from Limerick who just want to get out and about today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Quick question for you since you are so adamant about the wrongs in keeping people away from their families in order to serve people in shops.

Will you be having a drink in a pub today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No, I will leave it until tonight to have a drink in a Pub as I feel the people who work the Pubs should be able to spend the morning, afternoon and early evening with their families.

How much more do people want? Shops opening St Stephens Day now, next year Christmas Day? Come on people lets trim back all this consumer-ism. DOS makes a valid, if a little harsh point.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    No, I will leave it until tonight to have a drink in a Pub as I feel the people who work the Pubs should be able to spend the morning, afternoon and early evening with their families.

How much more do people want? Shops opening St Stephens Day now, next year Christmas Day? Come on people lets trim back all this consumer-ism. DOS makes a valid, if a little harsh point.

Hoping that the recession hits the OP hard next year is no way to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Danno wrote: »
    I agree. Are people really so hard up for a bit of browsing?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As a former retail employee i can echo the sentiments, people who go shopping on stephens day are generally arseholes, especially the ones who say "oh isnt it awful you have to work today?" yeah because of YOU you dickhead! these are probably the same people who wait until 4pm on christmas eve to go shopping and then whinge when things are sold out, god im glad i dont work in retail anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

krudler wrote: »
    As a former retail employee i can echo the sentiments, people who go shopping on stephens day are generally arseholes, especially the ones who say "oh isnt it awful you have to work today?" yeah because of YOU you dickhead! these are probably the same people who wait until 4pm on christmas eve to go shopping and then whinge when things are sold out, god im glad i dont work in retail anymore
    Had to travel 2 hours on treacherous roads this morning to be in work for 11. Was stuck up in the office in the shop I work in all day. The floor staff kept telling me that customers were in really bad humour. It annoys me that companies don't stay shut for 2 measley days a year. Most "sales" were returns. Out of principal I wouldn't go to any shop even for some milk today. Just make do and give staff a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Valid points, but tbh most people will go shopping for something to do rather than out of necessity. Look at Sunday shopping in the likes of BnQ...man thats insane imho...but I think its become a replacement for the trip to the beach on a Sunday. I wonder if theres really a demand for opening on the 26th or is it that the shop managers are just being greedy and trying to get a jump on the sales. Personally I dont think they should be allowed open, as a previous poster mentioned would it really kill them to close for 2 days at Xmass??..

How managment can think its a good idea to open on stephens day is beyond me....then again Im aware that the wellbeing of staff seems to have become much less of a concern as companies make more money.

/end rant

Advertisement