Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on fostering animals.

Options
  • 26-12-2009 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

There was an appeal on the RTE News a few days ago for people to foster animals. I was wondering if anyone here does it and can give me some information on it and the procedure of becoming a foster pet carer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MissC

Try www.dogsindistress.org you will be able to find information on fostering dogs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Can you remember what rescue it was that was making the appeal?

Many rescues would be delighted with an offer of a foster home a few things to consider for yourself before going ahead.

Type of animal, foster cats must be kept indoors, foster dogs need secure fencing.

Have you got the basics like food bowls, food, toys, bedding, crate etc. If not let the rescue know what you can and cannot afford to provide.
    Find out if you will be responsible for the vet bills of the foster animal or will they, if they are ensure they know which vet you will be using etc.

If the animal that you are fostering doesn't work out will you have back up help and someone to take the animal back from you, some animals don't work out it doesn't mean you have failed perhaps starting off easy with a puppy or older dog or calmer dog etc.

Some foster animals need time to come around although a rescue should have the dog assessed before hand so they are sure that the animal you will be taking in hasn't any aggression or is kid friendly if you have kids etc. etc.

These are just some points to consider each animal is different and each rescue operates differently but once you get started on fostering and have had a few critters come through your door it gets easier and is very rewarding.

Hope that helps. There's a list of rescues on irishanimals.ie as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

As far as I can remember it was the DSPCA. I was just looking for general information/advice from anyone that fosters or deals with fostering. I've been thinking of doing it for a while. I do have pets (dog, cat, bird) already which I'm sure would have to be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Head over to http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ Lots of rescues and people who foster for them on there. They'll give you a pretty good idea of what's involved.

Advertisement