Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manager of the Decade

• 26-12-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Dear Soccer Boardsies,
    I don't think we have a poll for manager of the decade yet. Seeing this is the time of year for polls, I decided to put one together. These candidates have been shamelessly stolen from Goal.com.

It is simply incredible what these ten men achieved from 2000 and while Pep could argue that his year would top all of their best, the key point was to achieve over a number of years.

It depends on what you value as a voter to see who wins, is it simply the most trophies accumalated? the amount of times the Champions League was won? the amount of teams trophies were won with? An entire season unbeaten in the league? or a World Cup plus a few Scuddettos thrown in?
    Remember it is just from the year 2000 ( so the treble doesn't count United fans ;) )

Here are your candidates :

Carlo Ancelotti

A man who knows how to win the Champions League, Carlo Ancelotti guided AC Milan to two European successes throughout the decade as well as one Serie A win. Currently employed by Chelsea.

Rafael Benitez

Two-time La Liga winner with Valencia who also gained a UEFA Cup from his time at Mestalla. Since moving to Liverpool, he has won the coveted Champions League as well as the FA Cup among other honours.

Fabio Capello

England's manager has been a success on the club scene wherever he has plied his trade. This decade, he achieved title glory with Roma and Juventus in Serie A and Real Madrid in La Liga.

Vicente del Bosque

"How hard can it be to replace Del Bosque?" pondered the hierarchy at Real Madrid when the coach was jettisoned in the hours following the 2003 La Liga success - it was his second title as Real Madrid coach, wins he embellished with two Champions League successes this decade too. The answer was 'very', as the Merengues have not tasted continental glory since he left. More recently, he guided Spain's national team to 21 wins from 22 outings.

Sir Alex Ferguson

The man presiding over his Manchester United empire, which he as ruled since 1984, has kept the Red Devils' trophy cupboard full to the brim this decade too. He has achieved success in the Champions League, Club World Cup, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup, as well as numerous individual accolades.

Ottmar Hitzfeld

The current Switzerland manager is one of only two men to have coached two different Champions League winning clubs to the title. The latter was with Bayern Munich in 2000; he went on to win the subsequent Intercontinental Cup. Four Bundesligas and three German Cups were also plundered for FCB this decade and Hitzfeld has also been anointed the Bundesliga's greatest ever coach.

Marcello Lippi

Italy's World Cup winning coach in 2006, Lippi returned to the Azzurri helm in 2008 following a difficult period with Roberto Donadoni in charge. As a club tactician with Juventus, he also won the Scudetto twice.

Jose Mourinho

The 'Special One' announced himself onto the European scene in 2004 with a Champions League triumph while in charge of Porto; the season previous it had been the UEFA Cup. A sackful of honours on the Portuguese domestic scene were augmented by a similar cache in London with Chelsea. Currently in charge at Inter where the league titles haul has continued. Interestingly, Mourinho is approaching the eight-year anniversary of his last home league defeat - suffered at the hands of Beira-Mar in February 2002.

Frank Rijkaard

Appointed in 2003, at the outset of a new era, Frank Rijkaard guided Barcelona into their latest period of success. Two Liga titles followed his appointment as well as the Champions League in 2006. Rijkaard is widely credited with laying the foundations for Pep Guardiola's all conquering charges.

Arsene Wenger

The great foe of Sir Alex Ferguson, the Frenchman has come closer to any other to knocking Fergie from his perch at the top of the Premier League. He once took his Arsenal side through an entire league season unbeaten and reached the Champions League final in 2006, where his team were narrowly beaten by Barcelona. He has won two league titles and three FA Cups this decade.

ps
    I linked all the managers to their wiki's so you can see what exactly they've won over the decade.
    Aaand the poll will close in ten days!

Manager of The Decade 110 votes

Carlo Ancelotti
    0%
    Rafa Benitez
    0%
    Seaneh 1 vote
    Fabio Capello
    3%
    Royale with Cheese8-10Spiritoftheseventiesdoc_17 4 votes
    Sir Alex Ferguson
    0%
    Ottmar Hitzfield
    67%
    FenixDont be at yourselfPalefaceCivilServantHelixgimmickThe MuppetSoldieefblordgoatIago_blank_Tom65bestyUnearthlyevad_lhorgJazzyMr.Nice GuyTrizoFrank Spencer 74 votes
    Marcello Lippi
    0%
    d22ontour 1 vote
    José Mourinho
    1%
    Bubs101Hoki 2 votes
    Frank Rijkaard
    21%
    Pepe LeFritsChucky the treejesus_thats_greBrando_ieA Dub in GlasgowhatawasterCorkMangustavothegenKent BrockmanabelardDSBReganio 2CarcharodonThe VoltJohnerGonzovisionKess73Crann na BeathaKirnsy 24 votes
    Vincente Del Bosque
    0%
    Arsene Wenger
    3%
    vestanpancetdvSlickRicADTR 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Frank Rijkaard
    The special one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Frank Rijkaard
    The special one

is it not up??

excellent ninja edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

What about Pep Guardiola. I know he is only in his second season but he did do something never before seen. First season of management returned this lot

Manager
    FC Barcelona

La Liga: 2008-09
    Copa del Rey: 2008-2009
    Supercopa de España: 2009
    UEFA Champions League: 2008-2009
    UEFA Super Cup: 2009
    FIFA Club World Cup: 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Frank Rijkaard
    Kirnsy wrote: »
    is it not up??

excellent ninja edit

Must have been putting it Up while I was writing

Frank Rijkaard
    redout wrote: »
    What about Pep Guardiola. I know he is only in his second season but he did do something never before seen. First season of management returned this lot

Manager
    FC Barcelona

La Liga: 2008-09
    Copa del Rey: 2008-2009
    Supercopa de España: 2009
    UEFA Champions League: 2008-2009
    UEFA Super Cup: 2009
    FIFA Club World Cup: 2009

Well being honest i stole the poll from Goal and added in the wikis. I presumed the reason Pep isn't there is because he's been at the club for one entire (absolutely incredible) year. while the other candidates have won over a period of at least two years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ottmar Hitzfield

Sir Alex Ferguson

The man presiding over his Manchester United empire, which he as ruled since 1984, has kept the Red Devils' trophy cupboard full to the brim this decade too. He has achieved success in the Champions League, Club World Cup, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup, as well as numerous individual accolades.

Sorry to nitpick, but it was 86 ;)

Anyway, you cant argue against 6 Premierships, 2 League Cups, and FA Cup and a Champions League. Not bad for 10 yrs work.
    Should United beat City in LC semis, thats consecutive cup final appearances in every season for United since 2002/03.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Ottmar Hitzfield
    It has to be Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Fabio Capello
    It has to be Ferguson.
    No it doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Arsene Wenger
    It has to be Ferguson.

i really doesn't.

Ancelotti, Mourinho and del Bosque can all lay huge claims to the title imo.

Fabio Capello
    SlickRic wrote: »
    i really doesn't.

Ancelotti, Mourinho and del Bosque can all lay huge claims to the title imo.
    Yes only when Ferguson wins back-to-back European titles can he be called truly great.

• Advertisement

Arsene Wenger
    Yes only when Ferguson wins back-to-back European titles can he be called truly great.

good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ottmar Hitzfield

So alex ferguson isnt a truly great manager? Im pretty sure ive heard it all now. He gets my vote anyway. Mourinho and Capello follow him for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Staunton ftw.

Fabio Capello
    MrKingsley wrote: »
    So alex ferguson isnt a truly great manager? Im pretty sure ive heard it all now. He gets my vote anyway. Mourinho and Capello follow him for me
    domestically he is without comparison. But he judges himself on European titles. And he was on record last year of wanting to win back-to-back titles like Paisley did in 77 and 78

Arsene Wenger
    And he was on record last year of wanting to win back-to-back titles like Paisley did in 77 and 78

and we all wonder why some utd fans are so obsessed with Liverpool. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

José Mourinho
    Went for Lippi. Had a shocking start with Inter but came back to win 2 Scudetti in the most competetive league of the decade, lost out in Europe on penalties alone and then won the World Cup with an italian team who were crap in 2002 and 2004. Del Bosque a very close second though

Fabio Capello
    SlickRic wrote: »
    and we all wonder why Fergie is so obsessed with Liverpool. ;)

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ottmar Hitzfield
    In terms of trophies won then of course Sir Alex has to get it.

The Special One was a close second for me just for pure entertainment value. He's a great character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

I really thought wenger would be higher on the poll - the work he's done at arsenal is unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ottmar Hitzfield
    domestically he is without comparison. But he judges himself on European titles. And he was on record last year of wanting to win back-to-back titles like Paisley did in 77 and 78

Did anyone else in the poll win back to back European Cups?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ottmar Hitzfield
    bayviewclose, what makes you think Benitez has has proven himself to be a greater manager this decade than SAF? Seriously, whats your basis for your vote?

Ottmar Hitzfield
    Archimedes wrote: »
    bayviewclose, what makes you think Benitez has has proven himself to be a greater manager this decade than SAF? Seriously, whats your basis for your vote?
    "But, but back in the seventies, something something."

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I went for Wenger. SAF's achievements this decade shouldn't be overlooked, but he already had laid the foundations in place.

On the other hand, Arsenal were able to fund and move to the Emirates. No other manager in Europe could have overseen and kept the club competitive for such a prolonged period without seeking outside investment. It may not furnish the medal cabinet, but it's a truly outstanding achievement.

As for Mourinho, he won the UEFA cup and Champions league by schooling his players in the art cheating, he won the league with Porto by being the big fish in the small pond, bought himself the title in England and couldn't take an already title winning team in Italy any further than the state he found them in. The man is an arsehole.

Frank Rijkaard
    I went for Wenger. SAF's achievements this decade shouldn't be overlooked, but he already had laid the foundations in place.

On the other hand, Arsenal were able to fund and move to the Emirates. No other manager in Europe could have overseen and kept the club competitive for such a prolonged period without seeking outside investment. It may not furnish the medal cabinet, but it's a truly outstanding achievement.

As for Mourinho, he won the UEFA cup and Champions league by schooling his players in the art cheating, he won the league with Porto by being the big fish in the small pond, bought himself the title in England and couldn't take an already title winning team in Italy any further than the state he found them in. The man is an arsehole.

Tbh i was between minds between wenger and SAF and jose. i went for jose because of the sheer numbers of trophies he's won and no matter what style he did it, the porto champions league win was an outstanding achievement matched by the greek 2004 win. while at some times he's a prick, i still have a soft spot for his hilarious wind ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tbh i was between minds between wenger and SAF and jose. i went for jose because of the sheer numbers of trophies he's won and no matter what style he did it, the porto champions league win was an outstanding achievement matched by the greek 2004 win. while at some times he's a prick, i still have a soft spot for his hilarious wind ups.

Well, there was an element of tongue in cheek about being so dismissive of Mourinho's achievements. I guarantee you though, he could never do at Arsenal what Wenger was able to. I don't think he'd even be bothered to stick around at a club to rebuild in the same manner that Ferguson did at United. He walked out on Porto (practically giving the establishment two fingers according to some reports), he fell out with Ambramovich and now he's falling out with the guys in Italy... there's more to being a truly great manager than just the on the pitch achievements, and I believe Mourinho doesn't have it. He's a successful arsehole no doubt, but at the end of the day he's just an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ottmar Hitzfield
    This truly is a non contest. Whoever doesn't vote for Ferguson is just bitter and jealous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Frank Rijkaard
    Mourinho's achievements with Porto put him above Fergie for me. Proved his superiority in his brief stay in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ottmar Hitzfield
    Voltwad wrote: »
    Mourinho's achievements with Porto put him above Fergie for me. Proved his superiority in his brief stay in England.

Proved he is better than Fergie with a near unlimited bank balance???

Frank Rijkaard
    curry-muff wrote: »
    Proved he is better than Fergie with a near unlimited bank balance???
    Because Fergie hasn't spent much either :)

• Advertisement

Ottmar Hitzfield

This is the contradiction.

Frank Rijkaard
    curry-muff wrote: »
    This truly is a non contest. Whoever doesn't vote for Ferguson is just bitter and jealous!!!

or measures success in a different way.

Frank Rijkaard
    flahavaj wrote: »
    This is the contradiction.
    He wiped the floor with him in 04/05 and 05/06. On and off the pitch. United were a million miles away, fairly sure they even finished 3rd in 04/05. Mourinho had a better head to head record against Ferguson in the Premier League too.

Ottmar Hitzfield
    He wiped the floor with him in 04/05 and 05/06. On and off the pitch. United were a million miles away, fairly sure they even finished 3rd in 04/05. Mourinho had a better head to head record against Ferguson in the Premier League too.

Yup and then Jose left by "mutual consent" having failed to deliver the prize that Abramovic truly wanted and still covets the Champions League. Ultimately he failed in his remit at Chelsea.

United were poor and in transition, in those years but recovered. We'll never know how things would've panned out over the decade if Jose had kept his job. But he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Ottmar Hitzfield
    Pains me to say it but i went for Ferguson. Consitently wins trophies and seems to manage all the big egos in the dressing room.

Frank Rijkaard
    So he failed in Abramovich's eyes, that doesn't mean a thing tbh. If Mourinho ended up in mid-table with Chelsea but won the Champions League, he'd probably have been a success with Abramovich but certainly not regarded as successful by the footballing world.

Mourinho's accomplishment with Porto is up there with the Greeks winning Euro 2004 in being the shock of the decade for me.

United were in transition then alright, the Djemba twins, Kleberson and Bellion need I remind anyone? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Frank Rijkaard
    Toss up between Jose and Fergie. I went with Jose because I knew Fergie would have the overwhelming majority of the vote. And because I'm a Liverpool fan.

Ottmar Hitzfield
    So he failed in Abramovich's eyes, that doesn't mean a thing tbh. If Mourinho ended up in mid-table with Chelsea but won the Champions League, he'd probably have been a success with Abramovich but certainly not regarded as successful by the footballing world.

Mourinho's accomplishment with Porto is up there with the Greeks winning Euro 2004 in being the shock of the decade for me.

United were in transition then alright, the Djemba twins, Kleberson and Bellion need I remind anyone? :)

Benitez did this and still lives off it.

Point is the two or three years he spent at Chelsea isn't adequate to compare the two definitively. His failure to win the CL at Chelsea with the unprecedented resources at his disposal is a black mark against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

José Mourinho

Point is the two or three years he spent at Chelsea isn't adequate to compare the two definitively. His failure to win the CL at Chelsea with the unprecedented resources at his disposal is a black mark against him.

What? Seriously. People seem to forget he gave us our first league in 50 odd years which is no mean feat and plenty of managers don't win the Champion's League in a 3 year stint at a club with lots of money but nobody but Mourinho this decade has won it with an unfashionable club as Porto

Frank Rijkaard

I think he was unlucky, especially with the semi final at Anfield. He did win it at Porto however. He has also won the league in Italy. Before that, Fergie had the equivilent of unprecedented resources at his disposal, and had for years before hand.

Ottmar Hitzfield
    I think he was unlucky, especially with the semi final at Anfield. He did win it at Porto however. He has also won the league in Italy

All fair points. For what its worth I think Jose is fantastic and he's the only real option to take over from Ferguson whenever he leaves.

• Advertisement

Ottmar Hitzfield
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    What? Seriously. People seem to forget he gave us our first league in 50 odd years which is no mean feat and plenty of managers don't win the Champion's League in a 3 year stint at a club with lots of money but nobody but Mourinho this decade has won it with an unfashionable club as Porto

I agree his winning two Prem's and a CL with two unfashionable clubs was a fantastic achievement.

But he hasn't set Europe alight with Inter either.

Frank Rijkaard
    Ask Fergie who's the one manager he doesn't want back in the premier league, Jose will be his answer. I'm surprised he wasn't tempted by the City job tbh, he'd love to annoy Fergie being so close to him with all that dosh.

Ottmar Hitzfield
    Ask Fergie who's the one manager he doesn't want back in the premier league, Jose will be his answer. I'm surprised he wasn't tempted by the City job tbh, he'd love to annoy Fergie being so close to him with all that dosh.

Naw he's too busy licking Fergie's hole these days to keep himself in line for United job.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Wenger or Fegie...Went for Wenger due to his lack of funds in comparision to Ferguson and the fact that HIS team went a whole season UNBEATEN! one of the greatest ever achievements

Frank Rijkaard
    Wenger or Fegie...Went for Wenger due to his lack of funds in comparision to Ferguson and the fact that HIS team went a whole season UNBEATEN! one of the greatest ever achievements
    He was a close second for me. Also admire his talent at making profit with players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Responding to his comments, Ferguson confessed that he would be pleased to see the former Blues boss back in England.

“Jose has suggested himself that he wants to come back to England – and I for one would definitely welcome him back,” said Ferguson.

“Maybe he will end up back at Chelsea, you never know. I enjoyed watching his interviews on television. He was so good, even his press conference ended up becoming all-ticket.

“He was cocky and he was confident – and he was very good for our game because he is a real character.

“Jose has been over to see us play a few times recently and he came to see me for a drink after we played Chelsea. You can’t deny the man’s success.”

Frank Rijkaard
    Never heard of paper refusing ink ;)

I really don't think he'd be too pleased to see another threat to United's dominance enter the fray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Marcello Lippi
    Voted Otto because nobody else did. :p

Was a pretty decent manager but am just wasting my vote in fairness..Hard to decide between a few of the golden oldies up there as what they offered to football has been staggering.I don't buy into what they have won cráp either.It's what they have gave to football for me.

Frank Rijkaard
    would i be right in suggesting if this poll were done in italy or spain the votes would be swayed towards the likes of Capello, Lippi and Del Bosque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

would i be right in suggesting if this poll were done in italy or spain the votes would be swayed towards the likes of Capello, Lippi and Del Bosque?

True and in Portugal you can bet that Mourinho would have done a fair bit better as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement