Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 7MB very slow!!!

• 26-12-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm having serious problems with my Vodafone at Home package. Sites take ages to load, thumbnails almost always come up blank, some sites won't load at all. Does anyone know why this is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do a speed test, and check your line stats in the router config pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jor el wrote: »
    Do a speed test, and check your line stats in the router config pages.

Sounds like the problems other vodafone customers on 7 mbps are having. Check the Talk to Vodafone forum for more reports of this. A solution to this remains forthcoming it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Im with perlico who are owned by vodafone and the broadband is **** slow tonight. Though i noticed that websites with servers locally here in dublin such as google, youtube and boards all load very fast. What is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

When perlico/vodafone had their problems with routing in August, all the routing out of Ireland went down. Requests were sent to Vodafone servers in germany, and then timed out. So this is nothing new for Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

When perlico/vodafone had their problems with routing in August, all the routing out of Ireland went down. Requests were sent to Vodafone servers in germany, and then timed out. So this is nothing new for Vodafone.

Routing seems to be the issue alright. With BT 8mb which presume is now Vodaphone even tho I have not recieved the billing change over part yet.

But I am getting the same thing, complete time out for certain sites. Seems to be the same ones too. Google.ie being one of them, Yahoo.com will work fine. YouTube also comes to a crawl and times out also. Its really annoying seems to happen most frequently late in the evenings too. Boards.ie is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I have problems with boards, smilies coming up blank, no thumbnails, sometimes just basic versions of the site with default font and no background. Very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

I'm having the same problems! I only discovered tonight that I've been automatically switched to Vodafone (from BT) actually. The past few weeks, my broadband has been increasingly bad.

Hope this gets sorted out soon!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Post your line stats,such as SNR, Attenuation, line rate etc and we'll have a good idea what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

devnull wrote: »
    Post your line stats,such as SNR, Attenuation, line rate etc and we'll have a good idea what is going on.

Thanks! How do I find those out?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Mine has been pretty constant for the 3 months I've had it ie good...

modem tended to reset once late at night now it resets once in the morning....only problem I've had was with torrents but was downloading at over 700KB/s yesterday which aint bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Phastasm

Constantly having vodafone slow speeds, on the 7mb package, was promised my line could take 6.1mbs and i'm getting no where near that (even if i was getting 4mbs and over i'd be happy) , regretting my decision in switching from eircom, was on 3mb with them and always got 2.5mb and over, even though the price was higher, they delivered the speeds as promised!!! just checked my speed : 0.4mb download speed, DISGRACE!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/671963165.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mustyo

:mad:
    Getting 1.2 to 2Mbps every evening and at weekends.....shockingly bad, slower than the old 3Mb we had with BT before the "upgrade". It was fine for three weeks just after the changeover but since xmas its been terrible.

Any thoughts? Is this just a testing phase or are Vodafone screwing us over?
    Can we do anything like change router settings to boost speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Phastasm

yep, they're screwing us over. their broadband is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

been having this problem for the last couple of months with vodafone, they have finally come out and said on their website that upgrades are needed in most areas and we all should be sorted out in a few weeks............i wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Shammy wrote: »
    been having this problem for the last couple of months with vodafone, they have finally come out and said on their website that upgrades are needed in most areas and we all should be sorted out in a few weeks............i wont hold my breath.

Do you have a link to where it says that on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

Folks,

Call COMREG if you are having problems with Vodafone Ireland. VI do not care. I've been battling with them for weeks, from Customer "Don't Care" not wanting to escalate the call to engineers seeing my network traces, admitting I'm getting time outs and then not doing anything. I had to scream blue murder and go after every online marketing attempt by @VodafoneIreland, facebook, etc, to even get to speak to an engineer.

The issue appears to be mainly with sites with images. Something on the VI network is randomly causing images to be slow to download or time out.

Call COMREG. They can facilitate a move to another ISP even if you are still in contract. If VI can't/won't fix things then COMREG will have to do something if they get enough complaints.

Aidan.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I have problems with boards, smilies coming up blank, no thumbnails, sometimes just basic versions of the site with default font and no background. Very strange.

Bump

Havin the same problem as you Klingon, have the 7mb@home package and while some sites are grand, others (especially ones with images; flicker, openstreetmap ect) are now almost unusable.Timeouts, half loaded pictures, basic pages. Speed tests seem fine, PS3 works no bother.

I was stayin in a travelodge last week using their ludicrously expensive wifi which (appeared to be only be a 3mb connection) was waaaay better than my subscription at home!This tells me its nothing to do with my laptop, its only 3 months old anyway.

Can someone who knows a bit more than me about this stuff tell me whats goin on (speculation welcome!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Darren

Hiya,
    If you're using the Vodafone home gateway router, there's a series of steps here that might well get this resolved for you.
    Let us know if you need some help, we have a support area over in the Talk To section.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Howerya Darren,
    Firstly thanks for the quick reply. Did the firmware update you reccomended and seems to have done the trick. Tryed some of the pages that were causing trouble before and all seem to be working grand now (ironiclly Boards.ie was one of them) I iz now a happy chappie :D

happy_lolcat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'm with Eircom and was thinking of switching to Vodafone. Is the service really that bad in the evenings? I done want to be coming home from work to have to mess with a router to read my emails etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Right now, I am getting the following speeds. I used to be on a 24MB plan with BT, till I got moved to this shower. Time to jump ship I think. UPC, anyone?

802292137.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Diceicle wrote: »
    I'm with Eircom and was thinking of switching to Vodafone. Is the service really that bad in the evenings? I done want to be coming home from work to have to mess with a router to read my emails etc.

yes its a nightmare in the evenings dont even bother switching trust me its not worth it if your eircom connection works perfect for you dont consider switching vodafone still havnt got the capacity for all the customers on their network there is a thread here ill post a link to it if you havnt already seen it over one thousand replies of complaints against voadfone there reputation has shot way down recently i got rid of my 3mb eircom for 3mb vodafone eircom always seen full 3mb with vf i could never get over 1mb ....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055738410&highlight=vodafone+home+speeds

have a look at that thread and you wil change your mind !!!

Advertisement