Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Starter Car? Need Boardsies Advice.

• 26-12-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Have been saving for some time now and i'm almost ready to buy my first car probably at the end of january or early febuary. i have been looking at small engined hatchbacks for the last 2-3 months but still can't decide which one i should throw my money on. heres a list of cars ive been looking at :

VW polo hatchback
    Skoda Felicia
    Skoda Fabia
    Seat Ibiza
    Clio
    Fiesta.

All of which seem to have their highs and lows. ive set myself a budget of E1,250 as it only my first car and dont want anything fancy.

please lend me your veiws on the above cars or add to the list. i really dont want to buy a bogey car. also any buying advice would be very welcome.

cheers.
    GARY.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Polo
    Fiesta

best options
    what years are they ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fiesta or clio. If you're going for the fiesta, look at the 1.25 zetec engine. It's by far the best engine the fiesta came with.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

dont want anything below a 2000.

what do you think of the skoda felicia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭georgem25

If you're going for the fiesta, look at the 1.25 zetec engine. It's by far the best engine the fiesta came with.

This was my first car - had little or no trouble with it. Would definitely recommend it

• Advertisement

im only 18, when i try to get a quote from quinn it always comes up as 4000+ for most cars is the fiestas cheaper?

ya fiesta is a good car

Gary4279 wrote: »
    im only 18, when i try to get a quote from quinn it always comes up as 4000+ for most cars is the fiestas cheaper?

:eek: thats nuts my first car was a 95 bmw 316 a 1.6 litre and it cost me 1500 under my own name
    did you try www.123.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I drive a Mitsubishi Colt (1998) and wouldn't hesitate it to anyone as a first car, it's a great little car to drive. I've had it about a year and a half, doing pretty heavy mileage as well as a lot of town driving, and I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever.

Here's a few under the €2,000 mark, bear in mind you'll probably be able to argue down the price a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Online insurance quotes are only aimed at generally low risk people. An 18 year old male with a provisional licence doesn't fall into this catagory.

OP you will need to get out the goldenpages and ring every insurance company and broker in the land for the best quote and policy. I would advise you make sure you can afford to insure a car before going out buying one. Alot of young people make the mistake of buying a car first and then finding out they cannot afford to insure it.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Online insurance quotes are only aimed at generally low risk people. An 18 year old male with a provisional licence doesn't fall into this catagory.

OP you will need to get out the goldenpages and ring every insurance company and broker in the land for the best quote and policy. I would advise you make sure you can afford to insure a car before going out buying one. Alot of young people make the mistake of buying a car first and then finding out they cannot afford to insure it.

+1

davy_b wrote: »
    :eek: thats nuts my first car was a 95 bmw 316 a 1.6 litre and it cost me 1500 under my own name
    did you try www.123.ie

yeah, they won't give me a quote. how old were you when you started driving?

I got a quote from www.axa.ie for E2,986 on a 1.0L seat ibiza. is this good value?

do you think i will do better calling them up even though they do a 10% online discount?

any views on this fella? http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/318i-SE/200948196015780/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

I got a quote from www.axa.ie for E2,986 on a 1.0L seat ibiza. is this good value?

do you think i will do better calling them up even though they do a 10% online discount?

any views on this fella? http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/318i-SE/200948196015780/advert?channel=CARS

I doubt you'd like the quote you'd get on anything about a 1.4. That might put you off the BMW.

got a quote for 3600 on a 1.5 BMW. bit steep i suppose.
    what would be considered the cheapest car insurance wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

got a quote for 3600 on a 1.5 BMW. bit steep i suppose.
    what would be considered the cheapest car insurance wise?

Something with a small engine. The cost of the car, with it being below 3k with have little to do with you're insurance premium.

Honestly though, I thought you'd get a higher quote on a 318. €3,600 is quite a good quote for that car. However, that car has quite high mileage on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

All other things being equal, i'd go for the Fiesta 1.25 too. That said, when spending €1250 on a car, the actual car, service history, etc is far more important than the make/model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would definitely ring around in the new year, those online quotes are rubbish for high risk drivers.

yeah, i will shop around before i buy. but having said that the E2900 i got for the seat ibiza i thought was quite good. do you think i could go lower.

if theres anyone out there who is 18 and has insurance lower than that can you please tell me what car you have and who you bought insurance from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It looks like a dog to be honest.

Keep the engine small for the first year anyway. You'll be wallet raped otherwise.

• Advertisement

think i'll settle for a seat ibiza. they seem to be unbeatable insurance wise. if anyone knows or sees one for sale throw up a link here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Check this out http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1077653. Seems like a nice car especially for that price. Seriously don't think about going over a 1.1 for the first year it's and absolute waste of time and money. Once you have your first year no claims and a full license you can go mad and get whatever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I drive a Mitsubishi Colt (1998) and wouldn't hesitate it to anyone as a first car, it's a great little car to drive. I've had it about a year and a half, doing pretty heavy mileage as well as a lot of town driving, and I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever.

Here's a few under the €2,000 mark, bear in mind you'll probably be able to argue down the price a little bit.
    +1, was also my first car :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What have you been learning in?? Any hope of finding one of them for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Have you considered a Yaris? 68bhp from 1.0L
    Great reliability and plenty to choose from in the 2nd hand market.

Advertisement