Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aspire one ntldr is missing

• 26-12-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Have an aspire one A0150 netbook.
    Xp version

Used the erecovery managment tool on the netbook.

Now all im getting is

NTLDR is missing
    Press ctrl alt del

I didnt get any discs with the netbook.
    Is there anything i can do to get os system working?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

You will need to get a boot cd with windows xp bootfiles,and just copy the working NTLDR file from the disc over to your system,deleting the old?missing/corrupt NTLDR.

If you give me a minute will get the download site for the bootdisc.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Cheers can i put them on a usb stick?

Download this iso(its for win xp home/pro)http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/Boot_CD_and_Boot_Disk_Images_and_ISO_free_downloads.htm

burn it to cd.

Go to the PC missing the file and turn it on.You want to get to the set up screen in bios so keep an eye out for it to flash up at the very start.It tells you what key to press(f2 or delete normaly).It happens quickly so if you miss it just reboot.

When your in the Bios look throught the menu for boot order or some variant of it.And select cd-rom as your first boot disk

Dont have cd rom on the netbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dub02

I have an aspire aswell...11.2 inch, 2GB...I just bought a portable usb dvd drive but it wont work..keep getting this message "compatible dvd decoder is not installed on your computer" keep in mind I windows vista basic:mad:

Has anyone any experience in what to do

Cheers

• Advertisement

Woops accidently posted thast before I finished...

now once you have set the first boot device to cd-rom,exit the bios and save and then reboot(with the newly burned disc in the cd-rom) and hopefully it should boot fine(unless your whole HDD is broke)

You will need to get a NTLDR file of a working pc with the same OS as yours.

goto start menu->mycomputer->double click on c drive...then goto tools menu->folder options->select view...scroll down to hidden files folders and clcik on show hidden file and folders,hide extensions and the last one hide protected OS files and click apply.

the NTDLR file should appear.Copy that on to a usb and bring it across to your notebook.

on your notebook do the same as above to show the system files.When the NTLDR file appears(or not if it is genuinely missing) after un hiding it delete it and replace with the working one from your usb drive.

Now do things in reverse.Hide all the system files(as above but in reverse!),go back into your bios and select your HDD as your primary boot device(and dont forget to take that cd out),save and exit bios and reboot and hopefully that should work(hopefully!).

I know it sound s a bit messy but it aint as bad as it looks

waster81 wrote: »
    Dont have cd rom on the netbook.

a bollox didnt relise sorry my bad

try and get into the notebooks bios(at start up a screen should flash saying F2 for set up or some such bollox) and see if you can select USB as a boot device

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You could try using a USB key instead of a CD drive. Make your first boot device your USB port, and then use the HP Drive Key utility to put the ISO you need onto a pendrive. Once you've got the pendrive ready you just follow Lab Mouse's instructions.

dub02 wrote: »
    I have an aspire aswell...11.2 inch, 2GB...I just bought a portable usb dvd drive but it wont work..keep getting this message "compatible dvd decoder is not installed on your computer" keep in mind I windows vista basic:mad:

Has anyone any experience in what to do

Cheers

you normally get when your media software doesnt have that codec.Is it windows media player?you should be able to download the codec.

Personaly i use VLC(and is free)it looks a bit rough compared to others but it has all the codecs

• Advertisement

Cheers mate...

I'm absolutely brutal when it comes to comps...Its suggesting I use Power dvd 8 but then the message will come up..I hate to ask but could you post me a link or talk me through it...sorry you should be getting merry instead of listening to me:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cheers mate...

I'm absolutely brutal when it comes to comps...Its suggesting I use Power dvd 8 but then the message will come up..I hate to ask but could you post me a link or talk me through it...sorry you should be getting merry instead of listening to me:(

Long answer:

In the spirit of the whole "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime" philosophy, here are a few tips on how to try and sort out this kind of problem in future.

1. Determine what the problem is - once you think you know what's happening, see if you can get it to happen again. Make a note of the exact error message you're getting. See if you can figure out any specifics of the problem by asking questions. Eg in your case - Does it happen with all programs? Does it happen with all DVDs? Make as many notes as you can - what DVDs you've tried, what programs you've used, what versions they're at.

2. Investigate probable solutions yourself - check whether there are software updates from your media player provider (Cyberlink PowerDVD, Windows Media Player) or for your operating system that might address the problem. Check their support pages. If it's an option, contact them via email or a discussion forum. Do a little searching online for your error message and see if any other discussions come up a bout it. As with step 1, make notes.

3. At this point if you're still stuck, you're more or less ready to post here. As with step 2, use the search function to see if someone else has posted about your problem. Usual boards.ie etiquette applies - ie search to see if a topic has already been discussed, don't hijack unrelated threads (which you have done here), etc. Explain what your problem is and what you've tried so far.

Hopefully at that stage someone will be able to help you.

Short answer:
    Open a browser, go to www.videolan.org/vlc/ and download the program. Install it and then use it to play your DVDs.

Cheers mate...

here's a link for VLC:http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html just download the file and unzip it if its zipped and run

or here is the codec pack for windows media player:http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Essentials-Media-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10662709.html?tag=mncol

Is power dvd 8 the one you got free with the notebook?you possibly should maybe update if you can.Its a possibility they might want money off you too!

Cheers mate,

I've done alot of searching and hit a wall....It doesnt help that I'm living in Beijing so its like getting blood from a stone

Didn't mean to "hijack a thread" if there is such a thing..I though a fellow aspire user might be able to help

Might be better off putting up a new thread at least you will get more replys that way

Its cool guys...I didnt want to bothering people over the xmas...just seen the thread and thought I'd ask

Thanks for the help lads ill set down to the challenge tomorrow

Let us know how you get on,hopefully it will work out fine for you

Advertisement