Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspapers 2Euro/£1

• 26-12-2009 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Why? Bought the Irish Independent today for 2Euro, priced also at 1 pound Sterling....seeing as newspapers are delighted to expose others scams , I'd like to see them expose and explain this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The indo has been €2 on a Sat only for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

That wasn't my point,my point was the difference, every day between Euro and Sterling prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

They are trying to get a foothold of the NI market, therefore are prepared to sell at a loss for the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Filan wrote: »
    Bought the Irish Independent today...
    There's your first problem. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Filan wrote: »
    Why? Bought the Irish Independent today for 2Euro, priced also at 1 pound Sterling....seeing as newspapers are delighted to expose others scams , I'd like to see them expose and explain this.
    Explain what exactly? You already said you bought it, I presume there was no gun to your head, they would be mad to charge less if people like yourself are willing to pay €2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The product is primarily a republic of Ireland product so when costing are being done they work out a price they need to charge in the main market to cover their costs.

NI & UK is a peripheral market for the indo and they have no journalistic costs, sales costs or setting costs in selling their paper to this market, so they only need to factor in the print & distribution costs, which allows them to sell into NI / England at £1.

The British version is printed in wapping and distributed with the UK Independent (also owned by Irish independent) - so print costs & distribution costs take advantage of piggy back onto a much larger paper and as such the costs are quite low and the paper can be sold at £1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Seanohea

I was working over in London last year and bought the Irish independent everyday for £1, it was great. I think it's very overpriced here, it's a good read but €2 ia a bit much.
    Some weekends when I was coming home I bought the Irish independent in the airport for a pound and was offered it then on the plane for over €2, both ryanair and aer lingus flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

That explains a lot , thanks.

No there wasn't a gun to my head, but newspapers regularily expose Tesco and others for large Sterling/Euro price differentials, so an explanation on their behalf would be appreciated!...

I may not continue to pay E2 for the Indo, or E1.80 on a weekday, the London Times, at just 95 Cent is a great read and do sometimes opt for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There is a totally different VAT rate on newspapers than in the uk so that why the conversion rates do be out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Irish Independent Prices

Dublin (and most other counties): €2.00
    The North: £1.00
    Cork: Free

Believe it or not, it's really easy to get the Indo for free down here. Because we're all addicted to the Examiner and seem to refuse to buy anything else, they can't sell it in the numbers they'd like. As a result, you can get it for free almost everyday somewhere in the city. There's always a pile of them in the little buildings in the Park & Ride car parks. And in the summer (when it's sure to be dry), they'll abandon a big pallet of them on Patrick Street. That way, they can claim biggest circulation in Ireland and boost their advertising prices. For once, we're cheaper than the North!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

number10a wrote: »
    Irish Independent Prices

Dublin (and most other counties): €2.00
    The North: £1.00
    Cork: Free

Believe it or not, it's really easy to get the Indo for free down here. Because we're all addicted to the Examiner and seem to refuse to buy anything else, they can't sell it in the numbers they'd like. As a result, you can get it for free almost everyday somewhere in the city. There's always a pile of them in the little buildings in the Park & Ride car parks. And in the summer (when it's sure to be dry), they'll abandon a big pallet of them on Patrick Street. That way, they can claim biggest circulation in Ireland and boost their advertising prices. For once, we're cheaper than the North!! :D

And in Dublin, I carnt give the examiner away. So then they start dumping them on me. I sell maybe two copies and they send my 15. So I loose the rag and send the WHOLE lot back. Its supply and demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

And in Dublin, I carnt give the examiner away. So then they start dumping them on me. I sell maybe two copies and they send my 15. So I loose the rag and send the WHOLE lot back. Its supply and demand.

Not surprising really. Sure you open it up and it's Cork cover to cover. That "Irish" in the title could be challenged as false advertising. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

I get it in the college shop for €1 or €.80.....can't remember which

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

People buy this rag?

Advertisement