Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone missing a Black Labrador

Options
  • 26-12-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Do you know anyone missing a black dog, looks like a Labrador, he has a red collar and an electric fence tag on the collar, his name tag is missing. He was in Langtons all Christmas eve night and nobody knew where he came from, then this afternoon when I was going for a walk on he comes running down the street he very friendly and I'm sure the owner is looking for him.

100007.jpg
    100009.JPG

100008.jpg

Comments

He looks like a lovely dog. And the tag suggests that he's not just another case of "lets get a new puppy for Christmas and abandon last year's dog" syndrome. I'd say soneone is missing him. KCLR used to do a lost and found spot, - might be worth giving them a ring. Meantime I'd say he 'd appreciate some turkey left-overs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

inthehat wrote: »
    He looks like a lovely dog. And the tag suggests that he's not just another case of "lets get a new puppy for Christmas and abandon last year's dog" syndrome. I'd say soneone is missing him. KCLR used to do a lost and found spot, - might be worth giving them a ring. Meantime I'd say he 'd appreciate some turkey left-overs.....

He's in great condition, and fully grown. I rang KCLR before I posted here, the pound should be the first port of call for anyone missing a pet but there not open until the 30th of Dec. I've posted on a few lost and found websites and will just have to wait and see what happens. He's fast asleep now in front of the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

That's really great that you took him in :) Want a hand putting up flyers or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Handsome fella, very noble looking. Looks like there might be some rottie in the mix as well. Hope you find whoever owns him, if not try and get him in to an animal shelter so he can get a new home.

After a lot of phone calls and I've eventually made some progress, the time of the year makes it more difficult.

I've tried KCLR with no response, rang a couple of the animal shelters around Kilkenny to see if anyone had reported a missing dog, none had. I was able to get the number of the Kilkenny dog warden but he just put me onto the Kilkenny animal shelter but they aren't back until Wednesday but left a message anyway. The Garda station said they had a lot of people reporting found dogs but no body reporting missing dogs

Then I was passing the Village veterinary and I decided to bring him him there to check to see if he has a microchip which could help trace his owners. And luckily he had a microchip in his back. The girl then was able to trace the owners from the database. Turns out they actually put the microchip in the dog and he had been there for a check-up a couple of months ago. We tried the telephone number but the phone seems to be disconnected but we we had the address so myself and my wife drove out to Dunmore and after knocking and a lot of doors because the owners are foreign and not many people knew where they lived.

We found the house we think, it has the flags to warn the dog of the house boundary for the fence, there's a lot of black dog hair in the porch near two dog bowls and the neighbour said that there was polish people living next door.

We waited for 20 minutes but not one was at home so just left a note in the door to contact us when got back.

Just waiting now for the Phone call, Milo is the name of the dog and I think he's a cross with a Labrador and a Rottweiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Sounds like he could be better off with a new home....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Healium wrote: »
    Sounds like he could be better off with a new home....

I hate to jump to conclusions but don't a lot of Polish people go home for Christmas?. Regardless well done OP, you took him and this time of year is stressful enough as it is and you are trying to find his owners. If there were more people like you then animal welfare in this country wouldn't be an issue.

Well Milo the dog is now at his home, turns out his owners are in Poland and they had got a friend to look after the dog, feed him once a day and give him water. He didn't even realise he had been missing Thursday, he thought he was down the back of the garden and the note we left was the first he knew of it.

The poor dog is now going to be locked into a shed now until his owners come back in a few days, felt like taking him back, but I don't have the room for him and he's not my dog. At least he'll be reunited with his owners and not killed on the road or destroyed because he has a great temperament and a lovely dog.

(And if anyone of you have a pet, make sure it's microchipped and on the database)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I saw that dog in Langtons on Christmas Eve. He was knocking around John St too on Christmas Day.

He seemed like a very well tempered dog, glad it all got sorted.
    Well done EKRIUQ for going to the trouble to find his owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well done on your efforts to help. I hope the dog's owners care for him in a better way than the friend did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement