Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fujifilm FinePix S1500 opinions

• 26-12-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, Lurker here ... Been looking for a new camera for a while and have now got the money to buy. I had a look online and found the Fujifilm FinePix S1500 on Amazon at £115. I wanted to pick up a DSLR but I cant justify spending €300+ at the moment, so I reckon a camera like the Finepix S1500 could be the job for me.

Has anybody experience with this camera, if so what are your opinions - good or bad?
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

GBX wrote: »
    Hi guys, Lurker here ... Been looking for a new camera for a while and have now got the money to buy. I had a look online and found the Fujifilm FinePix S1500 on Amazon at £115. I wanted to pick up a DSLR but I cant justify spending €300+ at the moment, so I reckon a camera like the Finepix S1500 could be the job for me.

Has anybody experience with this camera, if so what are your opinions - good or bad?
    Any help appreciated.

I had the s5000 for four years (a predecessor). Fantastic camera. Never lets you down. But remember - it isn't a DSLR. You get neither the functionality or the versatility. And, unless you zoom on the images (where the difference really shows) they're neck and neck. It would be great as a starter camera. My niece got the s1500 for Christmas. Very impressive camera.

There's also a Flickr s1500 group:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fujifilm_finepix_s1500/

Here's two shots:

The first taken with the s5000 and the second with an Eos 40D (with a 17-55 f/2.8 lens). Judge for yourself.

2318489420_39d23336f2.jpg

3939587455_b26c53b0f1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hi Freddie, thanks for the reply. Yeah im aware its no DSLR ... but unfortunately I just cant afford spending the money on a DSLR at the moment, which is why I considered a bridge camera.
    I went looking at camera's today to get the look and feel and came home and just ordered this off Amazon. So Im taking the plunge. I'll post up some pics when I get used to it.
    Thanks again :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Fuji Bridge Cameras are really good value for money. You get the manual control & can learn a lot about Photography without spending a huge amount.

Where the S1500 misses the mark is that it does not shoot RAW (some of the Fuli Bridges do), it does not seem to have a Hot Shoe and the Viewfinder is electronic, which can be hard to see if the shot is in focus.

You still have a very good camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks CabanSail. I look forward to getting to grips with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

GBX wrote: »
    Hi Freddie, thanks for the reply. Yeah im aware its no DSLR ... but unfortunately I just cant afford spending the money on a DSLR at the moment, which is why I considered a bridge camera.
    I went looking at camera's today to get the look and feel and came home and just ordered this off Amazon. So Im taking the plunge. I'll post up some pics when I get used to it.
    Thanks again :)

Best of luck with it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 kayakboy

Hi GBX

If you want to have a look over at adverts.ie I am selling a S9500, this is one of Fujis higher end bridge cameras. I've had a lot of fun and success with it and have moved to an SLR over christmas.

It has a hotshoe and also shoots RAW.

http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=91534

Price negotiable
    thanks

Hope this post isn't breaking any rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I have a Fuji Bridge Camera, the S9500, for a few years, use it as a back up, or a "just in case", and they are well worth the money.

I can't complain, they work well, take great shots and they have a solid enough feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'd highly recommend the Fuji bridge cameras.

I had a Fuji s6500fd for a couple of years. It was my first camera that gave me the main manual and semi-manual (aperture and shutter priority) modes. After using it for two or three years I sold it for €20 less than I bought it!! It was one of the few they made with the twist-barrel lens which I'd highly recommend, the s9600 and s9500 also have that. The newer models don't have that. The s6500fd is only 6MP but I remember hearing that that's the optimum for that sized sensor... it allows lower light shooting and you can get crisp bright shots at 1/4000th of a second!

When I finally got a D-SLR (Nikon D60) I didn't even have to open the manual, the Fuji bridge cameras are laid out very similarly and have much the same functions so it's an effortless transition.

Advertisement