Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can one obtain credit on the strength of a will

Options
  • 26-12-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am named in a will that has not yet gone to probate. The probate office in Cork is in disarray following the floods and the Dublin office tells us that its taking 25 weeks for probate to be granted. I need to free up cash from the will ASAP, however my bank tells me that they will not extend credit until probate has been granted. I find this incredibly annoying and short-sighted by the bank with whom I have had an excellent relationship thus far. Howsoever, that's their entitlement.

Has anyone been in this situation before or does anyone have any ideas as to how I can free up money from the will? I have a copy of the will and a list of the assets, which include an insurance policy and a number of investments that are encashable once probate has been granted. 10-15% of the total would suffice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

my bank tells me that they will not extend credit until probate has been granted. I find this incredibly annoying and short-sighted by the bank.

I believe the bank is responsible and your irrational on this area. The will could be challenged or any number of complications could arise. So the bank cannot accept this type of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Why would you expect them to lend you money on foot of security you don't yet own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 murraymints

I have come across a similar situation and as said in above there is no absolute guarantee as the will could be contested and it can take a couple of years for probate to be granted depending on the complexity etc. There are delays in recent times that haven't been there in the last couple of years.

A credit union might be a better option.

Advertisement