Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Arsenal now favourites for the league?

• 26-12-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Team P Pts

Chelsea 19 42
    Man Utd 18 37
    Arsenal 17 35

So while Chelsea are been run into the ground by the sheer lunacy of a man who resemble Benitez more than Hiddink these days, of
    picking rediculous teams and limiting the chances of new guys,
    forcing our best players into awkward on topeach other positions and not allowing anyone to roam wide

while United boast a midfield where not one player would get into the currently quite rubbish Chelsea midfield and all their hopes still seem placed on the return of the special Hargreaves...who may or may not be all that special, and will most likely return a la Rosicky.
    And besides Rooney have a host of technically gifted my arse not quit there yets/not quite able anymores up front

is this then the year for Arsenal to go full steam ahead, carrying Nasri with them to top of the league?

They are still a ginormous 5-1

I will reply here in two weeks when that figure is 2-1
    (in the mean time feel free to back and then lay to make a quinton on this)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

No they are not favourites now. That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Van Persie wasn't going to be missing for so much of the season they would be in with a great chance. Without him, much less so. They're still in with a chance of course but Chelsea and Man U are more likely to end up with the title than Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Chelsea are still favourites. Birmingham are a hard side to beat away. Don't be so kneejerk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Chelsea are still favorites imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

never.

chelsea still.

but it is wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Why even ask a question like that OP? What are you possibly going to gain from it?

My mates over analyse every result and it drives me nuts. Just let the fookin league play itself out for crying out loud!

Alternatively, bring me a crystal ball and I'll tell you who's going to win the league. Or you could just watch and enjoy it and be safe in the knowledge that it's anyones game yet ... apart from the Pool of course.

EDIT: You didn't even mention United defensive woes... surely that comes into the equation???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Nope obviously not.

points on the board > games in hand. Still in with a chance though of course
    Is this then the year for Arsenal to go full steam ahead, carrying Nasri with them to top of the league?

I'm just curious about what this bit is supposed to mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

playa3 wrote: »
    Nope obviously not.

points on the board > games in hand. Still in with a chance though of course

I'm just curious about what this bit is supposed to mean?

Good point, if Arsenal are going to win it, he is going to have to start to recreate some of his form from earlier in the year, He must be over the injury by now so tomorrow is the time for him to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How can you quote 5/1 as a price and try to seriously ask if they're favourites?

No, not at all. They are in a good position however. Though not favourites at all.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No Robin, no favourites tag.

Arsenal have been playing terribly since he got injured and it's a miracle that the league is still being talked about. If Wenger buys a striker in January then maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Like I said in the Chelsea thread. Arsenal are unpredictable, have an average defence/keeper and have no strikers. Dont think they can go all the way this season.

greendom wrote: »
    Good point, if Arsenal are going to win it, he is going to have to start to recreate some of his form from earlier in the year, He must be over the injury by now so tomorrow is the time for him to start.

Well no that's not what I was getting at, though it is true enough. I was just wondering why the OP decided to single out Nasri as being the one the team is would be carrying, especially when a good few of the other players haven't been great for large periods either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Depends who they buy in January. They still lack steel. Unless the rectify that the answer has to be no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

No,theres a long way to go , the PL is very unpredictable this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

while United boast a midfield where not one player would get into the currently quite rubbish Chelsea midfield and all their hopes still seem placed on the return of the special Hargreaves...who may or may not be all that special, and will most likely return a la Rosicky.

Eh Fletcher?

Anybody who has watched Arsenal reguarly will know that Van Persie is a massive miss for them. They are still in it because Chelsea and United have been ****. Now United are going to get better, the defensive crisis will pass. Chelsea are in a bad run of form [which I hope will continue].

What is going to change for Arsenal though? They desperately need Van Persie back, or a new striker. If Van Persie was fit though, I'd be putting money on them, but he's not. So unless Wenger does something in January, I still think Chelsea are the team to beat, but I think United can take it.

Oh and as well as losing RvP, we're soon to be without our most consistent player of the season in Song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I look very much to the ANC

Arsenal and especially Chelsea are proper ****ed

good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Team P Pts

Chelsea 19 42
    Man Utd 18 37
    Arsenal 17 35

So while Chelsea are been run into the ground by the sheer lunacy of a man who resemble Benitez more than Hiddink these days, of
    picking rediculous teams and limiting the chances of new guys,
    forcing our best players into awkward on topeach other positions and not allowing anyone to roam wide

And besides Rooney have a host of technically gifted my arse not quit there yets/not quite able anymores up front

is this then the year for Arsenal to go full steam ahead, carrying Nasri with them to top of the league?

They are still a ginormous 5-1

I will reply here in two weeks when that figure is 2-1
    (in the mean time feel free to back and then lay to make a quinton on this)

So if Villa beat Arsenal tomorrow are they then fav's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

doc_17 wrote: »
    Depends who they buy in January. They still lack steel. Unless the rectify that the answer has to be no

Ah yes, the fabled steel.

It puzzles me as to why this is still being trotted out. Song has proved to be the answer to the DM question this season so the lack of steel is not an argument. Conversely; what is an argument is their failure to put the ball in the back of the net. Arsenal create an amount of chances and if they were clinical enough they'd have a lot more than 35pts right now.

Arsenal won't win the league primarily because;
    1.We're missing RVP
    2.Song is on AN Cup Duty next month
    3.Our Goalkeeper is a liability
    4.Wenger won't buy in January
    5.We can't put the ball in the net when it counts
    6.We're too brittle a lá 2-2 draw away to WHU

To be honest the team I'd consider as dark horses are Aston Villa. If they keep up decent form in the second half of the season the ~50/1 that was being offered this weekend could look very tasty indeed.

And another thing; what is with the childrens reactions to results? You drew away to Birmingham. Drew. That doesn't mean your challenge is over and everything is Ancelotti's fault as you allude to. Last time I checked Chelsea were still top of the league. You might have to endure some slagging from your Man Utd friends in school but that's it.

Really; these reactionary threads are laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

http://www.paddypower.com/football/uk-football/premier-league

There you go; Villa 50/1 with 1/4 odds for a top 2 finish. I think that may look big around 6pm tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Arsenal's are as ****ed as Chelsea going into January, so if Chelsea are no longer favourites now that they lost to the in form team in the premier league, Arsenal will probably end up in the relegation battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think there are too many players worrying about their place in the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

PHB wrote: »
    Eh Fletcher?

Anybody who has watched Arsenal reguarly will know that Van Persie is a massive miss for them. They are still in it because Chelsea and United have been ****. Now United are going to get better, the defensive crisis will pass. Chelsea are in a bad run of form [which I hope will continue].

What is going to change for Arsenal though? They desperately need Van Persie back, or a new striker. If Van Persie was fit though, I'd be putting money on them, but he's not. So unless Wenger does something in January, I still think Chelsea are the team to beat, but I think United can take it.

Arsenal are far from a one man team, yes RVP is a huge loss, just like Rooney would be for utd.

But Arsenal will prove they can cope without RVP, Eduardo and Bendtner will do a good job, the key will be keeping Cesc fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No, they are not favourites, but they are very much in it. It just shows how dumb people have been to have written them off already. Knee-jerk reactions and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

They're in and around, but certainly not favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not favourites.

RVP's injury is a huge loss.

Also what cover there is at centre back is lamentably poor.

And they have way too many injury prone players.

And Almunia is second rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

PHB wrote: »
    Eh Fletcher?

Fletcher isnt a name that rolls of the tongue in Asia or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

if they get their sh1t together, imo they have a solid chance, but favourites, no. Chelsea are, then United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

United's too lose and im an arsenal fan...keeper is championship keeper at best and we NEED a forward in jan...if we sort those out we'll be doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bohsman wrote: »
    Fletcher isnt a name that rolls of the tongue in Asia or Ireland.

Fletcherinho then ;)

United, in case I've missed something, are still the team to beat. 3 in a row and still not favourites? Chelsea are known to be weak in December-the end of January where this is the time United usually get a head of steam. If United can get Vidic and Brown/Evans/O'Shea back in early January they'll go on a good run. If United win their next 3 or 4 games then they'll do it I reckon. I don't know why but I've a feeling Fergie has an ace up his sleeve in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jebus, no-one is favourite. Every team that supposed to be in with a shout is utter sh-i-te this season. Villa will hold Arsenal tomorrow I think, but if they should win then you might as well suggest Villa for the title (but you won't as that would be just mad obviously ;) ). Utd will get their defenders back and the strikers may start functioning again soon (make it tomorrow Wayne) so they are clearly still in the race. Maybe Mancini will work some magic that lasts for more than a few games, Maybe Liv- ah no, I won't spoil the post by suggesting that. Sorry Spurs you have no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Without van Persie, no, not at all.

I'm predicting a glamourous third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yeah think Chelsea will be the team to beat assuming they come through January without dropping too many points in absence of their African players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

Yes.
    I think Arsenal are definetely favourites now ...

Chelsea have fallen apart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

FedEx wrote: »
    Yes.
    I think Arsenal are definetely favourites now ...

Chelsea have fallen apart...

For a couple of hours until Utd deconstruct Hull City??

This has got to be the most ridiculous thread title since are Liverpool and rafa done. FFS its only Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

This has got to be the most ridiculous thread title since are Liverpool and rafa done. FFS its only Christmas.

What has it been Christmas got to do with anything?

Meaning that there is a lot of football still to be played. for the record anyone who is interested Paddy Powers offering city at 11/10 to win title with big four excluded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yes but no in is claiming that they have already won the damn thing, do you complain when you see odds for a horse race before the race?

do you shout out, its only noon FFS?

or am I missing a point you may have had somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

yes but no in is claiming that they have already won the damn thing, do you complain when you see odds for a horse race before the race?

do you shout out, its only noon FFS?

or am I missing a point you may have had somewhere?
    Sorry thought that the thread title was maybe a bit rhetorical in a way. Must have misread into that. And for the record Im sure it isnt time for Wenger to go either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its evident after today's game that Arsenal are hugely dependent on Cesc Fabregas. If Fabregas can stay fit all season then they have a great chance but if they don't have him for big games then they will drop points.

So no, they should not be favourites because of that dependency. They are wonderful to watch though, as Wenger's Arsenal sides have always been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its evident after today's game that Arsenal are hugely dependent on Cesc Fabregas. If Fabregas can stay fit all season then they have a great chance but if they don't have him for big games then they will drop points.

So no, they should not be favourites because of that dependency. They are wonderful to watch though, as Wenger's Arsenal sides have always been.

while what you say about dependency is true to a point; Fabregas is the most important cog in the Arsenal machine...people also said the same about RVP and they've not done too badly without him so far.

and where i disagree is where you rule them out "because of that dependency". You could easily say that Utd without rooney and chelsea without Drogba could be ruled out by the same train of thought.

eagle eye wrote: »

Ramsey could come in and do a good job.

That said you take Drogba and Essien out of Chelsea.

Rooney out of utd

Torres and Gerrard out of Liverpool.

All teams have players they are dependent on imo.

How many are Arsenal losing for the ANC?

Song is a big blow as hes the one guy they don't have a direct replacement for.

If Fabregas is out as, the loss of he, RVP and Song all at once might be a bridge too far for the Arsenal.

Plus if one of their centre halves gets injured they're f*cked.

Squad is just that litle bit too threadbare IMO.

flahavaj wrote: »
    How many are Arsenal losing for the ANC?

Song is a big blow as hes the one guy they don't have a direct replacement for.

If Fabregas is out as, the loss of he, RVP and Song all at once might be a bridge too far for the Arsenal.

Plus if one of their centre halves gets injured they're f*cked.

Squad is just that litle bit too threadbare IMO.

Is it though, do you not think that if you take key players out of other teams they will suffer also, you have listed three players, if you take three key players out of other teams will they not suffer also

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Is it though, do you not think that if you take key players out of other teams they will suffer also, you have listed three players, if you take three key players out of other teams will they not suffer also

Conveniently ignoring my piint about centre halves I see. When Silvestre is your main cever at CB its massive cause for concern.

Not to mention the fact that the likes of Rosicky, Eduardo, Wallcott and Nasri seem incapable of putting a decent run of games together without getting injured.

And Almunia's p*ss poor.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Conveniently ignoring my piint about centre halves I see. When Silvestre is your main cever at CB its massive cause for concern.

Not to mention the fact that the likes of Rosicky, Eduardo, Wallcott and Nasri seem incapable of putting a decent run of games together without getting injured.

And Almunia's p*ss poor.

Yes we are weak at CB IF we get injuries, but as I said you take key players out of other teams they will also suffer, look at Chelsea, takde Drogba and Anelka out, lets see how they do.

I don't buy the whole squad is weak, Arsenal like any team that ever wins the league need luck along the way.

Harsh on Almunia, he has had personal issues over the last couple of months which I think have had an impact on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd put Man Utd as slight favourites at the moment. Traditionally they are always stronger 2nd half of the season.

Chelsea are not this superhuman team they were made out to be by the media.

Arsenal is interesting, I don't really know why people are desperate to write them off all the time. They are still in their with a very good shout, and arguably have looked the most impressive team out of the 3 so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement