Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with EOS Utility and 500D

• 26-12-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Got a 500d for Christmas and was snapping away all day yesterday.. Now I'm trying to put the pics onto my computer with the Starts to Download Images section of the supplied EOS Utility software.

It isn't working, when it tries to upload the pics, it repeatedly says that "The connection is lost" and the program closes without any progress. I then have to disconnect and reconnect the camera. I would try with the Windows Camera and Scanner wizard but that doesn't detect the RAW images so can't upload all the pics with that method.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Just a long shot, are you using an extra long USB cable between the PC and Camera ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Just a long shot, are you using an extra long USB cable between the PC and Camera ?
    Using supplied USB cable but ya, its prettty long. I'll try a shorter one because the connection is standard. Then, if that doesn't work, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the program.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Using supplied USB cable but ya, its prettty long. I'll try a shorter one because the connection is standard. Then, if that doesn't work, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the program.
    Shorter cable had no effect... Onto the uninstallation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

You could always just get a cheap memory card reader

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Import with someting like Irfanview, Picassa, Lightroom etc.

Using a Card Reader (about €10 from Tesco) is ussually less hassle.

• Advertisement

Uninstallation worked... then i took a few more and tried to import them... Didn't work. Uninstalled and reinstalled again and worked again :confused:

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Uninstallation worked... then i took a few more and tried to import them... Didn't work. Uninstalled and reinstalled again and worked again :confused:
    everytime I want to upload more pictures I must uninstall and reinstall again:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you access the card directly through Windows Explorer and copy and paste from there?

dudara wrote: »
    Can you access the card directly through Windows Explorer and copy and paste from there?
    Can access it to view pictures but cannot copy them/save them to computer...

Any other thoughts? Still not working even after an uninstall but I'd rather not go the card reader way because I like this program when it works...

Help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

what operating system are you using
    and are the drivers specifically for that os ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Have you contacted Canon support?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    what operating system are you using
    and are the drivers specifically for that os ?
    I have windows XP but do not know what drivers I'm running.
    Kbeg3 wrote: »
    Have you contacted Canon support?
    I just did this and a Canon support team member told me to visit http://software.canon-europe.com/ I am currently downloading a 33mb software update to bring EOS Utility up to version 2.7.3.0 from 2.6.0.0. Hopefully this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭richardbradley

Have the same camera - a card reader for under a tenner makes this process far easier and gives far more flexibility -

Use explorer to choose images to copy - eg all raw all jpeg or both
    also can then download onto other computers etc

Far less likely to ever get card corruption and no risk of losing camera power mid transfer etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

CabanSail wrote: »
    Import with someting like Irfanview, Picassa, Lightroom etc.

Using a Card Reader (about €10 from Tesco) is ussually less hassle.

Yep. No problems. Then access them through the Zoom BrowserEx software.

Harvey Norman are currently doing an offer on a Fuji Card reader for just €8.50 (reduced from €24.99).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I had a similar problem but with Adobe Bridge, the card reader solved the problem.

Advertisement