Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city's oldest restaurant?

Options
  • 26-12-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to write an article for my blog (www.comeheretome.wordpress.com) on Dublin's oldest restaurants and in the process am trying to work out what is the oldest. Beaufield Mews in Stillorgan seems to be acknowledged as Dublin's oldest restaurant (established 1950) that is still in the same premises.

But what about the city centre?

From talking to some of my family over Christmas Day, here are some contenders:

+ The Unicorn, 12B Merrion Court (Originally established in 1939 at 11 Merrion Row, it moved to Merrion Court in the early 1960s.)

+ The Trocadero, 4 St. Andrew's Street (Established 1956)

+ Nicos, 53 Dame Street (Established 1964)

+ The Lord Edward, 23 Christchurch Place (Established 1969)

+ Captain America's, 44 Grafton Street (Established 1971)

+ The Lobster Pot, 9 Ballsbridge Terrace (Established 1980)

+ The Bad Ass Cafe, 9 - 10 Crown Alley (Established 1983)

+ Da Vincenzo's, 133 Upper Leeson Street (Established 1988)

+ The Elephant and Castle, 18 Temple Bar (Established 1989)

[Other honorable mentions outside the city include the Independent Pizza Company on 28 Lwr. Drumcondra Rd. (Established 1983)]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

1968 wrote: »
    I'm trying to write an article for my blog (www.comeheretome.wordpress.com) on Dublin's oldest restaurants and in the process am trying to work out what is the oldest. Beaufield Mews in Stillorgan seems to be acknowledged as Dublin's oldest restaurant (established 1950) that is still in the same premises.

But what about the city centre?

From talking to some of my family over Christmas Day, here are some contenders:

+ The Unicorn, 12B Merrion Court (Originally established in 1939 at 11 Merrion Row, it moved to Merrion Court in the early 1960s.)

+ The Trocadero, 4 St. Andrew's Street (Established 1956)

+ Nicos, 53 Dame Street (Established 1964)

+ The Lord Edward, 23 Christchurch Place (Established 1969)

+ Captain America's, 44 Grafton Street (Established 1971)

+ The Lobster Pot, 9 Ballsbridge Terrace (Established 1980)

+ The Bad Ass Cafe, 9 - 10 Crown Alley (Established 1983)

+ Da Vincenzo's, 133 Upper Leeson Street (Established 1988)

+ The Elephant and Castle, 18 Temple Bar (Established 1989)

[Other honorable mentions outside the city include the Independent Pizza Company on 28 Lwr. Drumcondra Rd. (Established 1983)]

Interesting list here. I know Nicos is around donkeys years as I used to go there in the early 90s. What really confirmed it for me was that my folks used to go there when they were younger as it was 'established'! Have to sayI thought it was the 50's when it started up.

How long has Dobbins been around for? Only other ones I can think of might be the Chinese Szechuan in Stillorgan, The Old Dubliner and maybe Sagar on Harcourt St??

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

kenco wrote: »
    Interesting list here. I know Nicos is around donkeys years as I used to go there in the early 90s. What really confirmed it for me was that my folks used to go there when they were younger as it was 'established'! Have to sayI thought it was the 50's when it started up.

How long has Dobbins been around for? Only other ones I can think of might be the Chinese Szechuan in Stillorgan, The Old Dubliner and maybe Sagar on Harcourt St??

I was going to mention the China Sichuan. It was based at 4 Lower Kilmacud Road from 1986 till 2008 when it moved to the Sandyford Industrial Estate. It has the same owners but some of the staff/chefs didn't follow and set up Gongs chinese restaurant and take away opposite the Stillorgan Shopping Centre.

I think the the Old Dublin restaurant on Francis Street closed in the early 2000s? Could be mistaken.

Saagar on Harcourt Street has 'only' been running since 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do restaurants in hotels count? I'm sure there has been a restaurant in the Shelbourne since it opened in the 19th century.

Do restaurants in hotels count? I'm sure there has been a restaurant in the Shelbourne since it opened in the 19th century.

In my mind, the restaurant has to be neither in a hotel nor also act as a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nor also act as a pub.
    Isn't the Lord Edward a pub?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Isn't the Lord Edward a pub?

think it has always been seperate though? it has it's own door at least...

copacetic wrote: »
    think it has always been seperate though? it has it's own door at least...

Exactly. I'd argue it's pretty separate.

It has its own floor, staff, different opening hours etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

The Bad Ass Cafe in Temple Bar been around since 1983 according to their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 madnesspersues

I'd have expected there to be older restaurants in this fine city. Just illustrates how tough the business is?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

well if you're not counting the pub rule above then it has to be
    The Brazen head est 1198

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Flanagan's is there a good while.

The Bad Ass Cafe in Temple Bar been around since 1983 according to their website.

Aye. Check OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Captain Americas on Grafton St has been there since 1971.

I'm shocked there aren't many older restaurants, is 1950 the best we can do?

spurious wrote: »
    Flanagan's is there a good while.

Completely forgot about Flanagan's.

Thanks for that.

It was established in 1980.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The King Sitric in Howth was established in 1971. The Radjoot Tandoori on Clarendon Street dates back to the mid 1970s and is Dublin's (and Ireland's) oldest Indian restaurant.

Restaurants don't seem to have a particularly long shelf life in Ireland - one factor being that eating out has really only taken off here in the past 20/30 years or so and another that establishments don't often seem to outlive their head chefs.

Is Ernie's in Donnybrook still going? It dates to the 1970s I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are also restaurant sites which have been in continuous use, such as where the 101 Talbot is, previously The American Connection.
    I think I went there for a birthday in the late 70s early 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

does burdocks count?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The King Sitric in Howth was established in 1971. The Radjoot Tandoori on Clarendon Street dates back to the mid 1970s and is Dublin's (and Ireland's) oldest Indian restaurant.

Restaurants don't seem to have a particularly long shelf life in Ireland - one factor being that eating out has really only taken off here in the past 20/30 years or so and another that establishments don't often seem to outlive their head chefs.

Is Ernie's in Donnybrook still going? It dates to the 1970s I think.

The 'Georgina Cambell's Ireland: The Dublin Guide' claims that The Radjoot Tandoori was established in 1984. While this website (http://traveldk.com/dublin/dk/rajdoot-tandoori) says it goes back to 1966.

Ernies was established in 1984. It was taken over by new management in 2006 and is now called 'Poulots of Donnybrook'.

spurious wrote: »
    There are also restaurant sites which have been in continuous use, such as where the 101 Talbot is, previously The American Connection.
    I think I went there for a birthday in the late 70s early 80s.

That's interesting.

101 Talbot (1991 - Present)
    The American Connection (1977* - 1991)

*Earliest reference I can find in The Irish Times archive.

Edit: A 1991 article tells us that there was a short lifed 'Cafe California' that existed after The American Connection and before the 101 Talbot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i was always sure the Trocadero was the oldest, I worked there for a few years in the 90s. Great place all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Beaufield Mews, Stillorgan.

Went past that before. They boast about being the oldest :) 1950

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i was always sure the Trocadero was the oldest

I have heard this too. Not sure where.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

I have a copy of the Irish Free State Handbook from 1932, which has an advertisement section in the back. I don't recognise any current restaurants in it, although there are a number of hotel restaurants mentioned, like Wynn's, the Gresham and Jury's on College Green.

Along with Hamilton Long's, Dixon Hempenstall, Guiney's, Denny's sausages and Rathborne's candles it mentions the following:
    - Flynn's Restaurant and Bar, 28 Fleet Street
    - Mitchell's of 9, 10 and 11 Grafton Street, open from 1805
    - The Crock of Gold Handweavers and Tea Rooms, 18 Dawson Street
    although I don't know if any of these are still restaurants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the gigs place on richmond street south opened in 1970

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The 'Georgina Cambell's Ireland: The Dublin Guide' claims that The Radjoot Tandoori was established in 1984. While this website (http://traveldk.com/dublin/dk/rajdoot-tandoori) says it goes back to 1966.

Either way it doesn't exist anymore. Closed a few years back.

Greatly missed though. Was a fantastic restaurant.

the gigs place on richmond street south opened in 1970

It's been closed for a few years (?) but in the last few months they've put up this horrible red hoarding and the usual array of MCD posters etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

It's been closed for a few years (?) but in the last few months they've put up this horrible red hoarding and the usual array of MCD posters etc..

i had breakfast there last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

According to this "Beaufield Mews is Dublin's oldest restaurant".

Zen Restaurant in Rathmines was the first Chinese Restaurant in Ireland, AFAIK. Seems to claim it in one of the articles they have hanging up in their reception area.

i had breakfast there last night

Must be getting the place mixed up with somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I'd imagine The Washerwoman Restaurant in Glasnevin has been there a while. Can't find info on the site though other than saying it was named after a factory built in the 1700s.

Edit: Way off. 1996 :P

Advertisement