Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I just started playing Hold 'em.

Options
  • 26-12-2009 5:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Only at it a few days now but I like it seeing as it's quick to learn and if you put some time and effort into it you can get pretty good pretty quickly.

Obviously I'm not playing for real money at the minute, but does anyone else get annoyed at people going all in before the flop? Don't get me wrong, it's grand normally, but for almost every hand? It just forces others to fold and it effects the game. :mad:

Anyway, thought I'd get that off my chest! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm not playing for real money

This is why people are going in before the flop, it happens less when you've got this months rent on the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah yeah I understand that, but I'm not gonna start playing real money because of it! Not yet anyway. But I like to at least pretend I'm using real money. Can't really get better if all you do is bluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

As said above when real money is involved those players wont be going all in.

Having said that if you have the cards(or more to the point you think you do!!;))call them.

Hold em is great form of poker especially when there is a full table,even with just people calling the pots can be decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Tiltmeup

deposit a small amout like ten euros through any of the shops its ten of a card but think its 20 min in the shops i think nd ull enjoy it a bit more it maybe micro stakes for money but ull learn far more than playin wit play money

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭peteypop

Tiltmeup wrote: »
    deposit a small amout like ten euros through any of the shops its ten of a card but think its 20 min in the shops i think nd ull enjoy it a bit more it maybe micro stakes for money but ull learn far more than playin wit play money

i had to read this 4 times to interpret what this reply meant.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Tiltmeup

lol sorry a lil hungover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

move up levels quick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

+1 for playing for any amount of money. Play money is like playing tennis with a shuttlecock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

Look in online section for stakes magic, tourney on tomorrow(a lot of all ins very fast though being honest) but at least you'd be playing with a chance of a big score.
    Not sure how common they are now but if you play a few it might help you improve your game. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

MagicMarker:

I don't know what types of play money games you are playing, but some advice on trying to replicate real money conditions: you should play Stop n' Go's. IMO these are the best play money games because, despite the fact there is no real money on the line, there is something on the line...namely, winning that particular SnG ahead of the 9 other players. In this sense, at least some of the players should have at least some interest in playing "normal" winning poker. Also, SnG's don't take long to play so you can play lots of them while picking up the strategy. They are also fun to play.

I think this is different to play money cash games or play money multi-table tournaments. With cash games, you can reload your play money if you bust, so there's little incentive to play well. And building a large play money bankroll through cash games is just too long and boring a process to invest time in, so that's a limited incentive. While with free tournies, it's just too nuts to make sense of and there is no semblance of rationality to be made of the game.

Ergo, I'd recommend Stop n Go's to replicate "real" competition.

Ed: BTW, you mention hating all the preflop all-ins...in a SnG it becomes part of the skill of the game to recognise when somebody is doing this a lot and adjusting your strategy accordingly to take their gold. When someone is all-in all the time, it means you need a less good hand to call them. After all, they can't have AA all the time, so your KQs or A6s might be good! Probably your first bit of strategy advice! Ahhhh, you have it all ahead of you, bless...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

you should play Stop n' Go's.

Orly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

presuming stop and go means sit and go? you do write it twice, so I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

zuutroy wrote: »
    Orly?
    dougee19 wrote: »
    presuming stop and go means sit and go? you do write it twice, so I could be wrong

Bwahahahaha. Man, I'm so busted here.

OP - I meant Sit n'Go's. Not Stop n' Go. A Stop n' Go is something entirely different - it is an element of poker strategy whereby you check/call a bet, which is often the cbet, and then lead the turn despite....erm, actually, let's forget about that for now. Play money Sit n'Go's ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

poker is like heroine the only ones who benefit from the illness are dealers - get out while you still can

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

bubbleking wrote: »
    poker is like heroine the only ones who benefit from the illness are dealers - get out while you still can

Are you sayin that you are a dealer then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Are you sayin that you are a dealer then?

i never said i benefited

Whyno wrote: »
    move up levels quick
    Do you mean move on to real money quick? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

To be honest I think that the higher level play money games are actually better than the micro-limit real money games. That's not saying much though.

If you don't want to deposit some cash enter a few freerolls and see how you do, or play different games for play money (razz and stud hi generally have better players than Hold 'em in my opinion [but that might just be because I'm pretty crap at stud]).

So I just did my first Sit & Go tournament! It was really good, much better than playing the full ring games. I won as well which made it all the better. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

If by chance your going for a mortgage dont deposit using cc. Banks are tough on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement