Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any way of registering this dog?

• 26-12-2009 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

My daughter Ciara recently bought a pure bred Japanese Spitz for €300. During the phone call she was told if she wanted the pup registered and micro chipped it would cost an extra €150. On the day she collected her she wanted her registered however she didnt have the €150 on her and he said it could be done at a later date. She was given papers stating the registered parents and grandparents and all the way back to prove the pure bred was legitamite. A few days after collecting her she rang back to get her registered to find out he wont register her as his main reason was, "by registering her I would have to register the litter and I would lose out on a whole litter then" he obviously sold the whole littler the same way. If she had left the money on the day she probably would have never heard anything back from him. Ive been on to the IKC about this and they were very helpful stating that this is obviously wrong as she has the right to have her registered but on writing a letter including all documents as requested by the person on the phone she was fobbed off and received a letter back saying they dont get involved in disputes between the breeder and the buyer. She doesnt know where to go from here, has this happened anyone else?? What are yere opinions.....:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Most decent breeders register and microchip the pups as a matter of course.
    Not registering them means he can breed from the parents over and over again without penalty (the IKC will only allow dogs to be bred from a certain number of times).

It sounds like he's making a tidy profit from registering puppies, or at least claiming he's going to. Registering a puppy as part of a litter is only 13 euro. Which leaves microchipping, 150 - 13 is 137, it does not cost 137 euro to microchip a puppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well the IKC can't get involved because the breeder has to register with them, they can't force the breeder to register, and the new owner (ie your daughter) can't register them.

I'm not sure what you can do bar contacting the breeder and asking again but only the breeder can register the litter/pup, doesn't matter what papers or proof you have of lineage, the breeders the only one who can register them afaik.
    The person on the phone was right in the sense of - if the pup is a purebred you do have a right (not in the law sense) to have it registered. But did they say 'send in all the info and we'll see what we can do?' -- what was it they said to you (that you sent in the documents for) ?

They're also probably right that they can't get involved between you and the breeder if the breeders not registered the litter. They might have taken the info off you to check if the litter was registered and that the breeder just wasn't giving you the papers.

edit - what magenta has said is correct, purebred pups aren't usually 150euro less just because they're not chipped/registered, it's usually around 50-80 euro deduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Unless the breeder will register the pup/litter for you, you wont be able to register the pup as the breeder has to register them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm afraid it sounds like your daughter has been taken for a ride sadly. :( If the breeder won't register the litter then there's very little she can do besides possibly try to return the dog and get herself a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't think there's anything she can do and as she didn't pay the €150.00 don't think she can take it further other than returning the dog for a refund which of course can be hard to do once you become attached.

If she keeps the dog though very important she chips the dog under her name now.

• Advertisement

If she keeps the dog though very important she chips the dog under her name now.

+1 thanks guinea -- very true don't overlook that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Thanks all, im aware she cant register her and that its only the breeder that can do this. Sadly I think she might have been caught out aswel. Another idea, would the citizens information office be of any help to her? Just came to mind there.
    star-pants wrote: »
    The person on the phone was right in the sense of - if the pup is a purebred you do have a right (not in the law sense) to have it registered. But did they say 'send in all the info and we'll see what we can do?' -- what was it they said to you (that you sent in the documents for) ?

Star-pants, when we spoke to the girl on the phone she seemed quite interested in what was after happening and asked my daughter to right a letter stating her case and explain exactly what happened. She was asked to forward on any documents she received with the dog and said they would check into it. A different person obviously opened the letter and had a different opinion on what to do with it and just sent it all back as i said. The person is a registered breeder with the IKC so maybe she meant they would check into it to see was he running a puppy farm or over breeding the dog. Im not too sure but didnt contact them again after she received the letter back.

Any more opinions would be great especially if something similar has happened to any of you. The breeder just basically said sternly he is not registering her so I cant see him budging from this!!

She has already had her micro-chipped by her own vet since she brought her home, thanks guinea.

Citizens information won't really help I don't think.
    I mean, she bought a pup, didn't pay for registration, and didn't get it.
    The owner has said they don't want to register the pup, your daughter has already paid for and taken her pup, there's really not a whole lot that can be done.

Doesn't mean a different person opened the letter, they may have been checking to see if he'd registered the litter at all, and if he hadn't then there's nothing the IKC can really do. If he HAD registered the litter and just wasn't giving your daughter the papers that would be different, because he could be using the registered papers for unregistered pups to sell.
    That's what I'd reckon they were checking anyway. If he's a registered breeder, hasn't registered the litter - they can't force him to, or make any way around the registering process. She can always ring up the IKC and ask for the reasons they've done nothing. But they probably will tell you the same.

IF the owner is refusing to register them then that's that - if she wants to bring the pup back and get a refund, you can ask the owner about that. But regarding the pup being registered, I'd say that's never going to happen I'm afraid.

Advertisement