Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modified car mechanic

Options
  • 26-12-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm a student doing my leaving cert, I want to train as a mechanic who modifies cars and kits cars out for prodrift. I have found great difficulties trying to find out how to get a carear like this, I would be very gratefull of all help.:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Them mechanics are the exact same us any others, I want to do the exact same as you do and all it is go get an apprenticeship if you wanna hop straight in.

If not go to College and study Mechanical Engineering, like I will be...well...Mechatronic for me, and then finish that and you can go flaunt your skills to a garage, get more experience then move on and ask the guys at WKD Imports or Japspeed or whoever if you can work on their silvias or corollas :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 goosey gander

sorry but prodrift are the organisers of the events they dont actually modify the cars, and wesley keating(wkd imports) imports the cars mors than he does them up!!! and japspeed are an english company, sorry for being such a know it all but my bf is a panel beater and my bro is a mechanic for the last 8 years and he started working on modified cars in the last 5 years so kinda have to know about cars!!! your better off training to become a mechanic and getting to know the basics before jumping into modified cars. But you could try track day performance.

sorry but prodrift are the organisers of the events they dont actually modify the cars, and wesley keating(wkd imports) imports the cars mors than he does them up!!! and japspeed are an english company, sorry for being such a know it all but my bf is a panel beater and my bro is a mechanic for the last 8 years and he started working on modified cars in the last 5 years so kinda have to know about cars!!! your better off training to become a mechanic and getting to know the basics before jumping into modified cars. But you could try track day performance.
    I'm sorry but I don't remember pinpointing any specific individuals, nor did I pinpoint a specific country, I based my statement on companies involved, schooling involved and career choice. Therefore I don't think it fair of you to shoot down my statement and inadvertedly shooting some of the OP's hopes by 'being a know it all'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Where do ya do Mechatronic man?

hunter164 wrote: »
    Where do ya do Mechatronic man?
    DCU.

• Advertisement

Yea? Right beside me school :L What do ya do in that?

hunter164 wrote: »
    Yea? Right beside me school :L What do ya do in that?
    It's Mechanical Engineering and Electronic Engineering together in the same course, which adds on another year if I recall correctly, can't quite remember the rest of the speech we got a while ago.
    So 4 years rather than 3 studying. :)

Was that at the open day?

And they teach you to work on cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I know Trackday Performance take on Mechanical engineers from time to time (well they took one on before), so that course is an option to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Francismechanic

But would it be more benificial to me to do the mechanical engineering course than say do an apprenticeship through FAS, and I was looking at a course in LIT, automobile technoligy (I think thats what we were told) Any opinions? I also wont be going to university

• Advertisement

But would it be more benificial to me to do the mechanical engineering course than say do an apprenticeship through FAS, and I was looking at a course in LIT, automobile technoligy (I think thats what we were told) Any opinions? I also wont be going to university
    Mechanical Engineering will put you ahead of an everyday engineer that's had an apprenticeship.

If you want to just work on the car and fix it, do an apprenticeship, if you wanna know why it's gone wrong and better ways to fix it, do the course.

Always better to go to college anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I'm a student doing my leaving cert, I want to train as a mechanic who modifies cars and kits cars out for prodrift. I have found great difficulties trying to find out how to get a carear like this, I would be very gratefull of all help.:confused::confused:

your a mechanic with a knowledge of everything, able to build and make anything you need ( the true essence of modifying... not gluing on a ****e body kit or bolt on parts - that just gay. )

it'll be Many many a year before you get a wage which makes the job worth doing and even longer after that before your respected.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Most of the lads that do the drifting do their own work.

You need something you don't have, experience. Someone who has put 15 -> 20k in to their car is not going to bring it to any person who has no experience. I get all my work done by my uncle, he's been a mechanic for the last 42yrs, has seen pretty much everything. However I wouldn't give my car to him in order to tune or re-map.

I'd leave that up the likes of Martin Treacy or some of the reputable guys.

Best advice, get yourself an apprenticeship, get yourself a good job at it, gain a good reputation and then worry about working on modified stuff !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I was doing that course in DCU. Its very theoretical, if you want a hands on course, id head to DIT(I did).

Also a level 8 engineering degree is along way from a aprrenticeship which is around level 6 or 7.

You shoukd talk to your career guidance teachers, and get onto the colleges, most will take you in for a chat.

As said, if you want to be bolting in and out engines and bits, be a mechanic.

If you want to design parts and make things better and instruct mechanics what to do go to college and get a degree. Then go and get experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Your best bet is college get a degree its next to near impossible to find an apprenticeship in the motor trade these days plus the money for an ordinary joe soap mechanic is ****e.

Advertisement