Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat.

Options
  • 26-12-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

I've done a search and surprisingly I came across only one thread dedicated to Mortal Kombat, in which people expressed their disappointment in this popular series.
    Which is a same really as I've bought the game Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and I have to say I am very impressed.

Why do you think there is such an "anti-Mortal Kombat" air to this forum ?

Before you rip me to pieces I am a SF fan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

MK sucks, at least I think so. I shouldn't even have to explain

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Ramza wrote: »
    MK sucks, at least I think so. I shouldn't even have to explain
    Well, that was the whole point of the thread...

I think I should've said "I don't want to explain :P

Anyway, I know the game just looks horrible, very unappealing

And as far as the gameplay goes, it's pretty stupid. It's one of those things I just cant describe, or put into words (in a bad way, mind you). It's just lacking, like I remember getting beaten by the AI by being repeatedly punched in the head (even when blocking I'd still get damage)(Yeah, I know you can duck) It just seems chunky and stuff, half-finished kind of a game etc. It's hard for me to describe. I could be completely wrong though, but when I played, I didn't take to it at all

Note : The above statement is 100% biased :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The main developer of the MK series has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't care about it being a good competitive fighter and he just wants to fill it with cool stuff.

As a result, pretty much every MK game is broken beyond belief with every character having multiple infinites or 100% combos that are simple to do.

They also use the same character model for almost every character so normals are universal which leads it to being pretty boring as it's just a matter of picking the character with the most broken specials then.

Also, the novelty of Fatalities and gore got old very quick.

In summary, fun to mess around with, but outside of UMK3 should never be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

MK doesnt suck at all, the arcade version of number 2 was so so much fun, I knew everyones fatality which added to the fun... Stupid animalalities or however there spelt where a bitch to do....

Anything after number 2 sucked...

n dont get me started on DC vs MK.... tragic game >.<

• Advertisement

^^ This

Repepitive is the word I wanted. I only remembered now when reading Chopper's post, all normals were universal, and I do remember seeing some ****ed up **** in that game. But I think playing the game for craic or just to see someone get their ****ing head ripped off is the only reason why anyone would want to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As above, MK feels too much like a gimmick fighter.

And that... MK vs DC... "game"... *sigh*
    most convulted fighter controls I've ever touched. Worse than wrestling games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why do you think there is such an "anti-Mortal Kombat" air to this forum ?

It's not the forum its the general fighting game community as a whole that looks down on MK as a lesser fighting game.
    RopeDrink wrote: »

To put it short, your post sucks.

woah there horsey! :eek:

@ FoamyMushroom yeah I think its generally agreed that MK2 was the best one by far. I enjoyed it as a kid myself. Its only when I went back to play it recently, after learning what fighting games were really about, that I was so shocked at how bad it was when playing it on the ps3 at a mates house.

I couldnt get over it, I didn't realise the gap was so huge.

But if you enjoy it, you enjoy it and that's fair enough. I'd love to see more discussion on here among other fighting game fans. But I don't see MK having much of a following.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I played MK when it came out in the arcades and even in the pre net forum days I couldn't understand why people could consider the original an equal to SF2.

I have to say though, MK2 is a really quite playable game. It's the only one which I found 2 player to be interesting, and the characters varied.

MK3 introduced dial-a-combo and they were way more extreme than say SFalpha. Beyond that I did not play for the same reason I stopped playing all fighting games- no online, no scene.

I'd give MK vs DC a go as I am a big comic fan but the reviews are so negative. In a world where blazblue, tekken and soul calibre exist outside of the street fighter space, why would you bother?

That said- MK was always sold on gore and novelty. It was always the cheap american remake of the awesome japanese film which changed what was important because the makers never realised what made it good in the first place- but attracts new people who are just there for cheap shocks.

To put it short, your post sucks

Well my post basically says "To put it short, MK sucks" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Nah guys, come on now! MK was on the input short cut wagon way before SF. MK is clearly ahead of its time. :P:P

Real talk: Although its already been stated, MKII was alot of fun despite being quite basic. Normal move redundancy between ALL the characters, at least in the earlier games I am not 100% on the more recent titles, was one of the major killers for me.

*edit* I did play about 15 minutes of MK vs DC, but it was basically mini-games in your fighting game. That one factor alone was enough to make me put in on the shelf again never to return to the 360.

Actually, to be fair, MK has done one thing for the FG genre and that is a semi serious stab at a western TV series/ film series.

The two things I think of when someone mentions MK are:
    • Cooking with Scorpion
    • In the mag Nintendo Magazine System, they ran an April fools prank for MK1. I forget alot of the details, but I do remember the "code" required that 1p was taped to the top of the cart. It was supposed to simulate heavy plastic that early developers editions had relative to the lighter retail ones I think lol. But it unlock insane levels of gore and super fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

lol I love that drawin together part :P

Mk did have one or two good titles after MKII, I cant name one of them... But one was a new feature to the MK game, adding 3d surroundings picking up objects and throwing them i.e. Skulls bones etc..etc

Other was a RPG style of game for ps2 called MK Shaolin monk. It was so much dam fun got different power ups, new moves, execute a fatality when meter was full n all stuff...Fun.. Game is unbeatable on hardest difficulty though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mk2 is the only one worth bothering with and even that wasn't great. Considering Samurai Showdown 2 and SSF2 where out at the same time, why would you bother?

It'd be like me saying I think cake sucks and pie is ****ing awesome. That is nothing but personal opinion and very uninformative ;)

Ah but here its more like saying eating tar sucks and pie is awesome, its kinda a given and not all that necessary to write an essay explaining why tar isnt really that enjoyable as a food :eek:

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

Everyone always take the intellectual high route and rambles on about bugs and imbalance etc. But I bet you if you played any of the classic MKs for a month you still couldn't take on my friend at it, who is a very casual fighting game player.

Everyone always take the intellectual high route and rambles on about bugs and imbalance etc. But I bet you if you played any of the classic MKs for a month you still couldn't take on my friend at it, who is a very casual fighting game player.

Dude, that's indicative of a broken game, not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That or he's less casual than you realise.

I love playing casual Tekken players though. One of them didn't realise you could win by time-out -- or within 8 seconds :P

• Advertisement

Dude I know. I was only saying for the sake of the topic. MK sucks, I just didn't want to elaborate (but I did a few more posts down) I felt this topic wasn't gonna be taken seriously or w/e (which is maybe a tad true), but all joking aside, you get me. I thought saying MK sucks should be enough (for sake of the ****ty game it is)

Like cunny said I felt it was a self-explanatory statement, like the game should be self explanatory of its worthlessness

Dude, that's indicative of a broken game, not a good thing.

Ok, "DUDE!"

Ok, "DUDE!"

Straw man argument.

Try to argue against someone's point instead of attacking them.

Bah! Manz in this thread need some of these:

What eh... point are you trying to make here? Someone being good at a bad game = the game is good? What?

I mean if you enjoy the game you enjoy it, so what if its no where near as good as others. Why should that stop you enjoying it? Why are you letting it get to you that people who know what they're talking about class it as an inferior product, when it still brings enjoyment to you either way?

@ Ropedrink, yeah I know I was just messin with yea m8,

hmm btw... how come in your quotation of me theres a different version of the :eek: smiley then whats on my original post? My original post has boards standard blue shock smiley, but in your quotation theres some alien, impostor yellow smiley in its place! That's some freaky shit right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    hmm btw... how come in your quotation of me theres a different version of the :eek: smiley then whats on my original post? My original post has boards standard blue shock smiley, but in your quotation theres some alien, impostor yellow smiley in its place! That's some freaky shit right there!

I think I recognise that as an old boards.ie smilie. Ropeh is prob using a different theme or something.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Why are you letting it get to you that people who know what they're talking about class it as an inferior product, when it still brings enjoyment to you either way?

Well, that's a matter of opinion.

Straw man argument.

Try to argue against someone's point instead of attacking them.

I don't need your advice on how to argue. I was laughing at the way you talk. But I don't blame you for being so defensive, it's just the way trolls are.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I don't need your advice on how to argue. I was laughing at the way you talk. But I don't blame you for being so defensive, it's just the way trolls are.
    If you think the mod of the forum is trolling you then you should probably complain to the site admins since its pretty blatant hypocrisy.

Unless you were just throwing out the term to try and insult him in some way. If that's the case then your post is probably fine. Probably.

Advertisement