Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Jaysus those mortal combat heads wha? feckin'ell ....

C'mon "RedDragonJack" relax the kacks, what happened to that whole "friendship" thing? Or was the inclusion of a friendship finishing move in the game another aspect of MK that's ...."A matter of opinion"....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Jaysus those mortal combat heads wha? feckin'ell ....

C'mon "RedDragonJack" relax the kacks, what happened to that whole "friendship" thing? Or was the inclusion of a friendship finishing move in the game another aspect of MK that's ...."A matter of opinion"....
    Friendships were awesome you swine.

Nothing beats doing that guy liu kang's 'flying across the screen with a high pitch scream' kick thing over and over and over for the whole game, then when it comes up "finish him" do it again.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Nothing beats doing that guy liu kang's 'flying across the screen with a high pitch scream' kick thing over and over and over for the hole game, then when it comes up "finish him" do it again.
    In my head this now sounds like a mix between Bruce Lee & Japanese onlookers during a 3S combo :pac:

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

Jim wrote: »
    If you think the mod of the forum is trolling you then you should probably complain to the site admins since its pretty blatant hypocrisy.

Unless you were just throwing out the term to try and insult him in some way. If that's the case then your post is probably fine. Probably.

The second one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

this thread is still better quality than the average mortal kombat game

Damn, Now it sounds like I'm defending MK. I don't really like the game, It's a buggy mess. I just hate this snobby attitude of snubing games with just one word(Broken), usually from people that don't play them. I know people that play this game alot, and they make it work, despite it's flaws.

I wasn't getting all defensive about the game(I couldn't really be arsed), justing trying to add to the topic. I just say things for the sake of the conversation and someone always ends up taking it too serious.

Damn, Now it sounds like I'm defending MK. I don't really like the game, It's a buggy mess. I just hate this snobby attitude of snubing games with just one word(Broken), usually from people that don't play them. I know people that play this game alot, and they make it work, despite it's flaws.

So in the same few lines you call the game a buggy mess and admit it has flaws, you then call those who say the same thing snobs? :confused:
    I wasn't getting all defensive about the game(I couldn't really be arsed), justing trying to add to the topic. I just say things for the sake of the conversation and someone always ends up taking it too serious.

You seem to be the one here who's taking it too seriously man. & as for trying to add to the topic and saying things for the sake of conversation.... have a look at post number 26...

I mean all jokes a side you randomly targeted doom and attack him, a moderator of this forum, then accused him of trolling? You are aware this would generally get you an insta-ban on most forums here? and DooM wasn't even ripping into MK. I mean wtf?

& lastly this wasnt a thread about "MK what do you like about it..." The OP ASKED people why its generally looked down on by the fighting game community and people answered is all. Jaysus...

Jim wrote: »
    I think I recognise that as an old boards.ie smilie. Ropeh is prob using a different theme or something.

ah HA! You solved the mystery! Well done old boy! Sherlock holmes eat your heart out! (new films is shlte :p)

OK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

This thread is fecking legendary :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

This thread needs, no DESERVES to be stickied!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Has anyone else noticed that Cunny is always at the centre of any controversy here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

HMUYA wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that Cunny is always at the centre of any controversy here?

His celebrity status has gone to his head.

FFS Cunny, it's only a few eircom ads!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

The reason you don't see MK discussed often or positively here is because it just isn't a good fighting game competitively and that's the aspect of fighting games that this forum is all about, really. When I was younger I actually really liked the series for its silly, casual fun but, as it has been stressed in this thread, that's about as far as it can go. It just appeals to a different group of people than you'd find on this board. It's like SF is Super Mario World and MK is Mario Party but we're all about the platforming over here.

This post actually feels a bit off-topic at this point, though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

haha, So anyway, RedDragonJacks little outburst aside I think I'm getting a better idea of why Mortal kombat is disliked in the fighting game scene*, that being it's seen as childish, un-balanced and silly with its temendous amounts of gore and violence.

But that is what for me makes the game special. In what other game can you pull someones heart out of their chest, burn their flesh down to their bones or rip somes head off their shoulders with the spine still attached ?

Having said that, What would you guys like to see in the up-coming MK 9 ? What do you think would make it more scene* compatible while still retaining it's unique characteristics ? That being the blood violence and general gore.

What's more I have to agree with what peple are saying about the Mortal Kombat V's DC Universe game. I think the general idea is just silly and that isn't helped by the inclusion of mini-games inside the actual fighting.
    Having said that the graphics are good and it seems the franchise is heading in the right direction.

I'm just hoping that MK 9 is rated Red 18+ :D

*I have no idea what the scene is so if someone could enlighten me I would be obliged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Having said that, What would you guys like to see in the up-coming MK 9 ?

Gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

I don't think anyone has a problem with the whole gore and violence angle the series takes. That's the reason it got so popular in the first place. It's just that the actual fighting mechanics lack a lot of depth. I believe chopper said it best in that it all just boils down to picking the character with the most abusive specials since everyone share the same basis for their character and that the creators are more concerned with putting in cool things rather than making it balanced. This just leads to a lot of boring matches that are hard to take seriously. The problem with the series isn't the gore and violence but rather the uninteresting and shallow fighting system the games use.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't need your advice on how to argue. I was laughing at the way you talk. But I don't blame you for being so defensive, it's just the way trolls are.

Regardless of anything else I see in this thread, I see another post like this and you'll be banned from this forum.

I've been extremely leniant because you're newish. You should probably read the forum charter.

If you believe someone is trolling, report the post.

If you were trying to insult me, that's against the charter of every single forum on Boards.

Now let's drop this particular line of enquiry people (thats with my mod hat on).

Thanks.

haha, So anyway, RedDragonJacks little outburst aside I think I'm getting a better idea of why Mortal kombat is disliked in the fighting game scene*, that being it's seen as childish, un-balanced and silly with its temendous amounts of gore and violence.

But that is what for me makes the game special. In what other game can you pull someones heart out of their chest, burn their flesh down to their bones or rip somes head off their shoulders with the spine still attached ?

Having said that, What would you guys like to see in the up-coming MK 9 ? What do you think would make it more scene* compatible while still retaining it's unique characteristics ? That being the blood violence and general gore.

What's more I have to agree with what peple are saying about the Mortal Kombat V's DC Universe game. I think the general idea is just silly and that isn't helped by the inclusion of mini-games inside the actual fighting.
    Having said that the graphics are good and it seems the franchise is heading in the right direction.

I'm just hoping that MK 9 is rated Red 18+ :D

*I have no idea what the scene is so if someone could enlighten me I would be obliged.

I guess the "scene" is the group of people who play fighting games competatively with one another. Balance and mechanics of play would be important I guess.

I like the characters themselves in MK, I would like the game play to be a bit faster, a whole lot mroe balanced, and for the normals to be different from character to character.

I think it should be 18's too though, fatalities and blood are part of the game. :)

HMUYA wrote: »

I was at the centre? :o Pssh I just reply to peoples posts, its not like I make them say controversial....things....

<_<

>_>

Nah that's not really it, as cobelcog and retro said its the fundamental gameplay in the end and its lack of depth.

It's something you only come to realise when you've played another fighting game at a certain level. When you've experienced the rush of that, and then go back to play MK2 a game I always thought was a bit of fun, it really hits you in the face pretty instantly that compared to SF2 etc, its just ... the gap of quality and depth is so huge. Where as I used to think it was just a matter of taste.

As kid I played SF more just cause I liked the style more, I wasnt aware of such a gap cause I didnt know anything about fighting games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I've done a search and surprisingly I came across only one thread dedicated to Mortal Kombat, in which people expressed their disappointment in this popular series.
    Which is a same really as I've bought the game Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and I have to say I am very impressed.

Why do you think there is such an "anti-Mortal Kombat" air to this forum ?

Before you rip me to pieces I am a SF fan.

I agree to a certain extent. To be honest, although from Deadly Alliance onwards, it was cool the way each character had a set of different styles, the most frustrating thing was that the combos were too long and too damaging so with certain characters like Raiden or Jade, their 3 style combo in MK Deception had ridiculous damage. Ofcourse, they put in the combo breaker system but it didn't really fix that problem. Armageddon was only cool for one thing in that it had everyone from every single MK game (except the Lin Kuei Grandmasters! ARSES!) but that was about it. It was clear that they didn't have enough fighting styles for all the characters which is why each character was limited to one hand-to-hand style and one weapon style so the best of the nextgen MK games, although I'm not too pleased with it (no Kung Lao (my main)) would have to be MK Deception.

In my opinion though, the best MK game of all has to be Trilogy. Your mind had to be extremely sharp to setup strategies and combos and I would definitely rank it equally with SF. MKII is often the favourite, it was quite good but Trilogy was just insane.

Leprekaun wrote: »
    In my opinion though, the best MK game of all has to be Trilogy. Your mind had to be extremely sharp to setup strategies and combos and I would definitely rank it equally with SF. MKII is often the favourite, it was quite good but Trilogy was just insanely broken.

FYP

Regardless of anything else I see in this thread, I see another post like this and you'll be banned from this forum.

I've been extremely leniant because you're newish. You should probably read the forum charter.

If you believe someone is trolling, report the post.

If you were trying to insult me, that's against the charter of every single forum on Boards.

Now let's drop this particular line of enquiry people (thats with my mod hat on).

Thanks.

Nah man, that aint your way of doing it. This is the way!
    guile-5.gif

Guile wins!

guile-2.gif

Ok, I didn't know that side of MKT but IMO, that either must be the N64 version or something because the special meter was maxed out in a lot of those combos which from playing the game, I know there is only so much you can do. Another thing as well is that I know from playing Trilogy on the PS that if you fly kick/uppercut/roundhouse in the corner, the character freezes so you can't do anything more.

But really, if we're going to turn this into a "its broken!" discussion, SF isn't exactly perfect. I'm a huge SF fan and when it comes to the newer games, SF has certainly surpassed the MK games but you have to admit that its pretty ridiculous how the level of strength between some characters is huge. True, MK was a little boring because all characters had the same normals but at least if a player used a character properly, they could still win but in SF, everyone knows that if two players with equal skill, one using a top tier character like Ryu and the other player used Gen, there is no chance in hell that the Gen player would win. I mean, if this wasn't the case, why does Daigo ALWAYS use Ryu in SFIV, (Mostly) Balrog in SSF2T and Ryu in SFA3, Ken in 3S? Because he knows that each character was top tier in their respective games so he wants to increase his chances of winning. All fighting games like The VF series (Pai, Kage and Lau crazy combos), Tekken (juggles which can take off up to 70% health meter) and Soul Calibur (I don't know of any since I haven't really gotten into the series but I've read that its broken in some areas) all have their "broken" flaws as well but we all still play them anyway because each has a certain enjoyment associated with them.

I'm probably very fond of the MK games because I remember playing a whole bunch of tournaments in UMK3 against my cousins where each of us used a different character and the matches were pretty intense but regardless, Trilogy was a great game still.

got to disagree with you there Leprekaun. I don't think 4 is that that spaced out tier list wise. The only really overpowered character's Sagat but even then, he's still beatable.

Yeah and just to add to what ropey is saying , I don't think its as black and white as if player A used character 2 instead of 1 he'd be better as character 2 is a higher tier than 1. I think there's also an element of player style and what characters fit that.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Off-Topic but aye, I'm using Cloud Boards.ie Skin (Black theme with 12xYellow Smilies - I remember the older ones quite well, though). Just conflicting themes is all.

Ah nice, I must have a look at the different skins so, I've been using the same one all the time, I didn't know they came with different smilies.

snip

Completely wrong.

If a top MK II player picks Mileena and another equally good player picks anyone other than Mileena or Jax, then they're losing.

UMKIII is the only one that is somewhat balanced, although there are still a few characters who dominate.

Every game has it's top tiers, but to say that you can win with any character in MK games is just laughable.

Ok, I may have been harsh in saying that there is a huge gap between the characters but that doesn't deny the fact that there is a gap. I know that Justin Wong has proved that he can do quite well in SFIV using Abel who is nowhere near top tier but Justin Wong is also an unbelievably good player. I know that there have been some strange characters in the top 3 of some tournaments (last ranbat, Cobelcog with Cammy) so I'd also be wrong in saying that a lower tier character would never win against a top tier character if both players are of equal skill. Something to note however in regards to the character gaps, you'll rarely see a lower tier character win a tournament but quite often a top tier character winning.

I'm not trying to turn this into an MK VS. SF argument and I do prefer SF over MK now but I don't think its fair to just say MK is cr*p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Something to note however in regards to the character gaps, you'll rarely see a lower tier character win a tournament but quite often a top tier character winning.

lol, stop the presses lads :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Did someone say top tier character?

zangief_vs_mk.gif

Thats the tier list for the new MK game sorted then.

Advertisement