Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade mixed peel

Options
  • 26-12-2009 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I had ten oranges and a couple of limes and before juicing them I decided I would "harvest" the peel from them and make some mixed peel. This is quite a bit of work but I think it's worth it. Any citrus fruit would be suitable - orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit - but some may not want the green of the lime peel.

I guess this is a bit late for this year as I didn't get around to it until two days before Christmas, but it keeps for ages in the fridge and could also be frozen.

Before peeling I scrubbed the fruit in hot water to remove as much of the wax as possible. Obviously using non-waxed fruit would be even better. :)

I then gathered ten or so strands of peel together at a time and cut them into 3mm lengths.

The peel is then simmered for ten minutes before changing the water and boiling up again for another ten minutes. This is then repeated again. Most recipes I came across called for these steps and I suspect you lose some of the flavour from the oils in the skin, but it removes any remaining wax and bitterness if there is some pith that came away while peeling.

For the final simmer I lowered the hob to a low heat, added 100g of sugar and 200ml of water. When this has reduced - after about an hour and a half - it's ready.

Here are photos of the results. The yellow implement in the second photo is what I used to do the peeling.

Advertisement