Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos from Cratloe woods. Lake frozen over

Options
  • 26-12-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Kids walking on frozen lakes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Thats mad, was the whole lake frozen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thats class. Nice pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Thats mad, was the whole lake frozen?

Whole lake frozen. Never seen that before. Must have been beautiful out there after snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Love the pics, but thats super dangerous. If you can see the air bubbles its too thin to walk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Thats some amount of water to freeze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jumpy wrote: »
    Love the pics, but thats super dangerous. If you can see the air bubbles its too thin to walk on.

+1 on this, op are they your kids, if so what were you thinking letting them do that?

Not my kids. I agree it's very dangerous. If the ice cracked and they went in lots of complications including hypothermia could ensue.
    A very big man was walking 2 dogs on ice earlier. Another guy threw a large rock in the air and it hardly made any impact on the ice.
    The ice was very thick. I didn't risk walking on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone remember Lough Gur freezing over years back?

Must have been 1982-85 or so? It was thick, thick ice - you could see its depth, but I think there was iffy thinner patches.....

My Dad brought us all out for about 2 hours of skating, slipping and sliding - The Ma nearly killed him when the many tales of near death got back to her :p

Fcuk, all of the good times were in the 80's......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I remember doing that years back when I was a kid. Great craic altogether and it's the first time I've seen it frozen since. Must be about 15 years at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Downright ****ing Dumb if you ask me.
    Way to lose a son/daughter to drowning over the Christmas period.
    Emergency services don't actually enjoy picking dead children from lakes you know.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Their parents must be idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

We have all skated on ice when we were young kids, but i agree it is dangerous.

Plus if I were one of those kids parents, as well as been very dumb for letting them do what they are doing, I'd also be very annoyed that some "bloke" posted pictures of them on the internet!!!!

I know you didn't mean anything Builderfromhell by posting the pictures but I am just saying if it was one of kids pics been posted on the net I'd be upset.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Couldn't be that well frozen over, look at the difference in the ice between the first and last pic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

i dont think these childrens parents will like there childrens pictures being up on the internet in such a dangerous situation

Pics taken off for fear of upsetting parents of kids.

Was out there again today and saw teenagers walking out about 20 feet into ice. Ice was 4 inches thick in places.
    Will try to upload piece of broken ice to show thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Raiser wrote: »
    Anyone remember Lough Gur freezing over years back?

Must have been 1982-85 or so? It was thick, thick ice - you could see its depth, but I think there was iffy thinner patches.....

Can't remember Lough Gur but I do remember the lakes in Glenstal abbey being frozen over years ago(probaly around the same time), i was just a kid though.
    Raiser wrote: »
    My Dad brought us all out for about 2 hours of skating, slipping and sliding - The Ma nearly killed him when the many tales of near death got back to her :p

Fcuk, all of the good times were in the 80's......

Same here :D:D

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

Anyone know what shape the trails are in out in Cratloe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭limericklion

These kids "parents" should be ashamed if they were present when their kids were walking jesus like on water, because that what it exactly is ,frozen water that could crack. Once you go under water with that ice thre is no coming back full stop. Rio cratloe would be dangerous, too many uphills and downhills covered in ice leads to trouble, could damage knee joints over such difficult and hazardous conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

These kids "parents" should be ashamed if they were present when their kids were walking jesus like on water, because that what it exactly is ,frozen water that could crack. Once you go under water with that ice thre is no coming back full stop. Rio cratloe would be dangerous, too many uphills and downhills covered in ice leads to trouble, could damage knee joints over such difficult and hazardous conditions.

how thick was the ice?

Ice was about 4 inches thick. Teenagers were walking on it yesterday.
    The kids who were walking on it a few days ago were walking on an area where, if the ice had broken, they would have plunged to a depth of about one foot before hitting the bottom. Hardly life endangering stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Yes People - relax, a foot of chilly water presents fúck all danger in fairness, they'd want to limbo dance in there with the assistance of several guiding shoves to the head.

- As for our trips on Lough Gur Glacier years ago? Lethally dangerous of course; But that was back in the days when Parents had 6-7 Kids and a loss wouldn't really be noticed.

Anyway my Da gave us a healthy respect for danger and tips on how to spot it from near and afar - I especially remember this from the passing of my brothers Tommy, Ger, Frank and Timmy.......

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Urgh. Just imagined ice cracking, and slipping under ice while trying to get out. Think I saw it in a movie once too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Ice was about 4 inches thick. Teenagers were walking on it yesterday.
    The kids who were walking on it a few days ago were walking on an area where, if the ice had broken, they would have plunged to a depth of about one foot before hitting the bottom. Hardly life endangering stuff.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/508522

They say that ice thickness starts to be safe around 4-6", but ice doesn't freeze evenly across a pond or lake. It can easily be 5" one spot and be less than 3" just 2-3 feet away.

Be wary of ice with snow on top because snow is a great insulator and will keep the ice from being very hard.

The ice nearest the shore is very variable. That is where you have to be very careful!

Here is a rundown of what the different thicknesses are suitable for:

3" (7 cm) (new ice) - KEEP OFF

4" (10 cm) - suitable for ice fishing, cross-country skiing and walking (approx. 200 pounds)

5" (12 cm) - suitable for a single snowmobile or ATV (approx. 800 pounds)

8" - 12" (20 - 30 cm) - suitable for one car, group of people (approx. 1500 - 2000 pounds)

12" - 15" (30 - 38 cm) - suitable for a light pickup truck or a van

4 inches sounds safe enough to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

MarkR wrote: »
    Urgh. Just imagined ice cracking, and slipping under ice while trying to get out. Think I saw it in a movie once too.

Happens in the Omen 2, iirc. And cliffhanger, bad way to go.

Tbf though, anyone who knows the lake knows it's pretty shallow. I don't think the kids were in any danger. Of course, something bizarre and weird could have happened but I don't think it's any less dangerous than letting a kid ride a bike or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Absolutely insane leaving kids roam free on that ice. It isn't even that thick so a tragedy is just waiting to happen until it thaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It's 4 inches thick!!!! And the lake is shallow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

Guess there is no chance of the kids sinking now seeing as this happened days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

There's a bit too much of this going on in this thread.

It's natural for kids to do wreckless ****. Most adults in this country hit the pubs at weekends, some binge, and with that, some pass out, some fight, some murder, some drive cars, some fill up A+E wards, some eat fast food, some sexually assault, some piss+puke in taxis and some do domestic violence.

Kids need to get this wreckless behaviour out of their system when they're young. As parents, you can't be watching your kids 24/7, if my parents seen some of the stuff i used to do as a kid they'd probably have heart-attacks.

For all those people slagging off the OP, shame on you, because of you he has removed some pics i'd have loved to have seen. Cratloe has fond memories for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It's reckless. Not wreckless.

This does my head in.

He also removed the pictures because they were pics of kids that did not have the parents permission. It was out of respect. Nothing to do with the ice walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Jumpy wrote: »
    It's reckless. Not wreckless.

This does my head in.

He also removed the pictures because they were pics of kids that did not have the parents permission. It was out of respect. Nothing to do with the ice walking.

I apologise for the spelling mistake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement