Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy bite

Options
  • 26-12-2009 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi

We got a puppy for christmas. we were playing a few minutes ago and her tooth scratched my finger and drew blood. It's not deep and stopped bleeding within a couple of minutes. I cleaned it out well. I had a tetanus about 18 months ago - but the puppy hasnt had her injections. She hasn't been around any other dogs. Do I need to go to the doctor? Its really just a scratch.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 AbigailE

Jen199 wrote: »
    Hi

We got a puppy for christmas. we were playing a few minutes ago and her tooth scratched my finger and drew blood. It's not deep and stopped bleeding within a couple of minutes. I cleaned it out well. I had a tetanus about 18 months ago - but the puppy hasnt had her injections. She hasn't been around any other dogs. Do I need to go to the doctor? Its really just a scratch.

Thanks

Ive been 'bitten' plenty of times by puppies and i never went to the doctor , Im sure you'll be fine.
    I would get her vaccinations asap though as there are plenty of bugs going around

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah, cute. thats not really a bite, just a puppy playing. I would doubt you need to go to the doctor. I've been scratched loads of times and never ever had to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Do I need to go to the doctor?

As far as I know only a vet can exterminate a rabid puppy.
    Today a scratch, tomorrow a mauling.
    I trust you'll do the right thing.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Glaston you may have a little break from the forum - no need for sarcasm here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Jen199

Thats good to know. Thanks for the replies. We have an appointment for Tuesday to get her first set of injections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Be prepared for plenty more nips and bites, and possibly ripped clothing, they go through a really annoying bitey stage some of them. When the pup nips say no and stop play, offer the pup one of the pups own toys. Highly recommend the puppy kong and petstages puppy toys (although remove any of the added material/strings on them).

Once the vax are done enroll in puppy classes they can be a big help when the pup is going through the naughty stage.

Our guy is teeny with teeny teeth but has worked his way through many pairs of socks and trousers, he's been teething for months and is still at it although improving a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think the tetanus vaccination lasts for ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What sort of puppy?

Advertisement