Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine in Hot Press

• 26-12-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

I'd really like to get a dishwasher, but cannot fit this in our kitchen at present, as the washing machine is in the only possible spot we could put it, and we aren't willing to sacrifice our very limited cupboard space.

We have plenty of room in our hot press, and was wondering if it would be possible to have the washing machine plumbed in there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Anything is possible especially with a saniflow and the likes as it sends waste through slim pipes. You would really need a plumber to asses but ask away I done it in my hall - put my machine under the stairs.

However please bear in mind you are now bringing water to places where it never was so be careful of expensive wooden floors. i doubt you would be insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

esharknz wrote: »
    I'd really like to get a dishwasher, but cannot fit this in our kitchen at present, as the washing machine is in the only possible spot we could put it, and we aren't willing to sacrifice our very limited cupboard space.

We have plenty of room in our hot press, and was wondering if it would be possible to have the washing machine plumbed in there?

I took cylinder out of my hot press and put it in attic, for the above reason. My kitchen is close to hot press so ran a waste and water supply under kitchen presses into hot press, great place to have wash machine have to say.

As Joey mentioned, if you've not got a waste supply close, you could use a saniflow to pump waste to closest supply. Saniflow are generally noisy, more nosy than some wash machines, also they are very temperamental so depends on how badly you want a dishwasher. Anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Also remember this will probably rule out doing washes later at night, as you or others may have a bedroom close to the hot press.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

stick it in the shead!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought they were giving away a practical white goods prize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

You could stick the washing machine in the large bathroom, very easy to connect.

cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

By "Hotpress" are you referring to the airing cupboard containing your immersion heater etc?

If so the ETCI regs prohibit your putting the washing machine in there. (only permissable items are related to water heating etc)

from http://www.etci.ie/safety/faq.html#airing
    Q: Are there special requirements relating to electrical equipment in airing cupboards?
    A: Yes, because of the temperatures and low humidity in an airing cupboard timbers tend to dry out and become more flammable. The electrics in an airing cupboard should be limited to those items mentioned in the Wiring Rules such as the wiring to the immersion group. Preferably, switches should be mounted outside the airing cupboard but where this is not possible or desirable they can be installed within the cupboard provided certain precautions are taken as outlined in the Wiring Rules. Because of the daily use and frequent and rough usage in an airing cupboard the electrical installation tends to deteriorate quickly and it should be examined regularly to ensure that there is no damage to the cabling and switches etc. which might cause a fire.

Obviously this wouldn't apply if you remove the cylinder!

Advertisement