Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

19 yr old male buying first car?

• 26-12-2009 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi im 19 and passed my driving test 19th nov(yesss boiii!).Ive been driving my dads corolla since july and the insurance is up 31st dec.Im planning on buying a car within the next couple of weeks.Any advice for me?I like all sorts of cars from a ford focus to civics and fiestas to golfs!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try a search, this topic has come up a lot here.

Usually the suggestions are along the lines of small and cheap while you save up money and get experience enough for a bigger car.

Imo - Look for something with long NCT that you can afford to fix and that you can learn to fix yourself.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/cars/for-sale/Ireland/2011?sort=price

Another thread on the front page
    Best Starter Car? Need Boardsies Advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Hi im 19 and passed my driving test 19th nov(yesss boiii!).Ive been driving my dads corolla since july and the insurance is up 31st dec.Im planning on buying a car within the next couple of weeks.Any advice for me?I like all sorts of cars from a ford focus to civics and fiestas to golfs!
    Cut the purchase budget in favour of a one off bigger insurance premium. Do Hibernian Ignition (twice if needs be).

Don't make the same mistake as other people buying their first cars. You have at least sensibly waited to pass your test before buying a car. Get something that moves well and you won't get bored of easily.

Avoid like plague:
    1.4 Focus
    1.4 Golf
    1.0 Corsa (had one - slow isn't the word, but not as bad as the 2 above)

Consider:
    1.4 Astra
    1.6 Astra (have one and am happy enough with it for the time being)
    1.4 Corolla
    1.6 Focus
    1.4 Xsara (great little goer for the engine size)
    1.4 206

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Oi ninty9er my 1.4 golf maxed out at 190 km/ph. Golfs are a decent car!! Talk cha when im home on tuesday! Few beers in the ardhu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

ninty9er wrote: »
    1.4 Focus

x2. Very slow car.

Oi ninty9er my 1.4 golf maxed out at 190 km/ph. Golfs are a decent car!! Talk cha when im home on tuesday! Few beers in the ardhu?

13.6 seconds 0-60 is just as slow as the 1.4 Focus which I couldn't bare to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

a souped us micra is the only answer for young lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Cut the purchase budget in favour of a one off bigger insurance premium. Do Hibernian Ignition (twice if needs be).

Don't make the same mistake as other people buying their first cars. You have at least sensibly waited to pass your test before buying a car. Get something that moves well and you won't get bored of easily.

Avoid like plague:
    1.4 Focus
    1.4 Golf

Consider:
    1.4 Astra
    1.4 Corolla
    1.6 Focus
    1.4 206
    Thanks for the reply!Wouldnt the insurance for the cars you said to consider be very high?Should i get a 1l car to start off with for lower insurance and then think about a 1.6 engine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thanks for the reply!Wouldnt the insurance for the cars you said to consider be very high?Should i get a 1l car to start off with for lower insurance and then think about a 1.6 engine!
    I got insured on a focus 1.6 this year. I was 20 at the time and it "only" cost me €2365:(
    All thought im only on a learners permit.

Plug wrote: »
    I got insured on a focus 1.6 this year. I was 20 at the time and it "only" cost me €2365:(

Makes a big difference. You're insurance could half once you get you're full licence.

Mind did anyways.

Plug wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on my insurance for the same car...19yr old,male,full liscence,driving for the last 6 months under fathers name,insured by zurich!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Phil 5 bellies

AXA do a great deal for students. You can get a 5% discount every 3 months for your first year. :cool:

I'm paying 1500 a year and I'm 19 driving a 2.0 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Avoid like plague:
    1.4 Focus
    1.4 Golf

Consider:
    1.4 Astra
    1.4 Corolla
    1.6 Focus
    1.4 206

I completely disagree. Go for a small engine, stay away from French cars, think of Polos, Corsas, Fiestas etc. Build up your no claims bonus and see what happens.

Opting for a 1.6 Focus is crazy at 19yo. Either go for something small-engined (1.0-1.4) or go whole-hog and get yourself a properly quick car and pay €4k per annum in insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

13.6 seconds 0-60 is just as slow as the 1.4 Focus which I couldn't bare to drive.

Permit me to share a thought:

We have a Punto 1.2 which on paper has a lower power/weight ratio than the Focus 1.4. One thing I noticed about the Focus is that it seemed completely gutless low down in the rev range. The Fiat engine has good low down torque for its size, at the expense of top range power. In my short comparison with the Focus this gave me the sensation that the car with less power on paper was much more drivable in urban/suburban settings.

If you can, get a drive in the cars you are considering and see how they feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The 1.4 Focus manages only 70bhp. This was acceptable when the 1.4 Golf managed only 59bhp. The 1.4 Corolla on the other hand manages 95bhp.

I mainly agree with -Chris-, except strike the Polo (and VW) off that list. They will teach you that a cars are porky and unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Phil 5 bellies

JHMEG wrote: »
    The 1.4 Focus manages only 70bhp. This was acceptable when the 1.4 Golf managed only 59bhp. The 1.4 Corolla on the other hand manages 95bhp.

I mainly agree with -Chris-, except strike the Polo (and VW) off that list. They will teach you that a cars are porky and unreliable.

+1. One of my mates has a polo and every time I'm in it there's always something new wrong with it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CrazyMel

You might aswell buy a crappy car for your first car incase you crash it or damage it then ya wont be as pissed off coz its only a crappy car :D I've a Hyundai Accent for sale if your interested..1.3 lol

My first car was ****e but I loved it anyways coz it was my first :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Also worth considering a car derived van such as a corolla, golf, focus, Puegeot 306 etc mufc4fle. When I started driving it seemed the only way to go. Insurane is more affordable in account of the fact that they only have two seats. The downside here is that you will be able to carry only one passenger at a time. Do bear in mind though that some insurance companies will not touch you in one if being driven for social, domestic and pleasure use. I do know that Quinn Direct for one will quote you competitively enough in one (not that I'm a fan of Quinn Direct, but thats another story).

I'd recommend you stay away from French cars for the most part though. In particular and from my experience the Renault Megavan. I cannot emphasise enough how bad a heap of French junk they are. Citroen xsara too is probably best avoided based on a friends experience. Peugeot 306 is the only one I might half heartdly recommend. Don't assume you will insure a 130bhp Golf van for half nothing either as such may not be the case. What you probably need to be looking at is flat diesels. If you are looking for something pretty new I'd highly recommend a 1.4 diesel corolla van. Drove a friends one once and must say it was a little cracker. It is the 2002 model and newer but think the 1.4 diesel engine I'm talking about was only introduced in them in 2004/ 05.... Stand to be corrected on that one though. Tax shouldn't be as bad as you'd think either if taxed comercially, as would be the case in most or even practically all cases.

You would certainly have more comfort in cross country jaunts than you would in a 1.0 litre polo or corsa for example, the likes of which I'd consider to be city cars and not really suitable for motorway driving at all to any great extent.

Thanks for the reply!Whats wrong with quinn direct if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for the reply!Whats wrong with quinn direct if you dont mind me asking?

Your welcome mufc4lfe. I was insured with Quinn Direct for a number of years and granted my insurance premiums were going down with each renewal. Then all of a sudden the renewal premiums started to rise for no apparent reason....no claims made and no change in particulars whatsoever. It went up by about 20 quid first year which i did not take too much notice of...just paid it and got on with it. Went up by about 20 quid more when I got my renewal pack through post second year running. At this point I said f**k this for a game of soldiers and got on the blower and the interweb to try get a better quote. You may argue that I am being a bit overly pedantic about 20 quid and on the face of it maybe yeah. But fact of the matter was that I believe my insurance should have being going down as I was still building up my no claims bonus. In the end I managed to get a better level of cover for over 100 quid less through a broker in my local town. Rang Quinn Direct to see if they could beat my new quote and they wouldn't even entertain me. A day or 2 before my insurance was due for renewal they rang me back and asked if I'd be taking out insurance with them again. I replied no as I got a much better deal elsewhere to which they asked had I it already paid. Even though I had I said no to which they repiled well lets see if there is anything we can do for you. I understand she was only doing her job on the phone and was well down the pecking order in the company but I told her in so polite a way to get lost!! As far as I'm concerned Sean Quinn can make up his investment losses in Anglo Irish Bank by another means besides picking on already hard pressed motorists.

My brother had comprehensive cover with Quinn Direct and ran into the back of a BMW X3. He was advised by the accessor to let the claim for damage to the X3 go through the insurnace but to sort out his own car himself...even though it was practically a write off. This seemingly would work outy better for him come renewal time. I was highly sceptical of such advice and even though he did sort out his own repair bill his insurance still rose considerably with them. I won't attach too much relevance to this point as perhaps it would have rose even moreso if the two claims went through but all the same I'm not full sure.

I do realise and accept that it is not exactly a buyers market for motor insurance if you are a 19 year old male unless things have changed dramatically since I first started driving but I would suggest that you do shop around all the same. And if taking out insurance with Quinn Direct to make a point of shopping around each renewal time.

Sorry its all a bit long winded but I couldn't have made it much shorter without getting my point across properly. I could add in more scenarios of friends dealings with Quinn Direct but think the above two points gives a fair indication of what sort of a company you are dealing with.

You'll probably have to spend an extra €300-€500 over a 1l on a 1.4. It's a trade off worth it really, as it'll save you the cost of changing the car when you can no longer sit behing all the doting grannies doing 70km/h on N roads without losing your mind.

I made that mistake and if I had to go back I'd go for at least a 1.4, cos by now I'd be able to afford a "proper" car 4 years on as opposed to being stuck with a 1.6 Astra, which while "fine" isn't the most exciting after 4 years. I'd like to change up now, but I'm still paying for it, if I'd bought that first it would have been long paid for and I'd be in a much better position.

Also bear in mind the cost of tax and bigger tyres to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Citroen xsara too is probably best avoided based on a friends experience. Peugeot 306 is the only one I might half heartdly recommend.

I had a 01 1.4 Xsara as my first car, and loved it. Got it at 80K miles, sold it at 110K, and gave me zero hassle unlike my current 03 1.6 Focus (with only 40k miles on the clock), which has had heaps wrong with it. I wouldn't go bashing a car based on one experience, so don't certainly rule out the Xsara (or indeed the Focus ;)). By the way, the Xsara shared the same running gear as the Peugeot 306, but it has a more "saloon" look to it.

phutyle wrote: »
    I had a 01 1.4 Xsara as my first car, and loved it. Got it at 80K miles, sold it at 110K, and gave me zero hassle unlike my current 03 1.6 Focus (with only 40k miles on the clock), which has had heaps wrong with it. I wouldn't go bashing a car based on one experience, so don't certainly rule out the Xsara (or indeed the Focus ;)). By the way, the Xsara shared the same running gear as the Peugeot 306, but it has a more "saloon" look to it.

I was talking about the older 1.9 diesel Xsara car van. Granted you can just get a "bad one" per chance in any model and I am basing my advice based on my friends experience but I will pass on that advice nonetheless. Even to get a spin in it, it was a flimsy and rattly yoke and as I say he was plagued with trouble.

I'll second that about the Xsara. My parents had one and it was quite solid on the road, had just one niggly electronic problem with the indicator. It's this exact car actually -> http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/Xsara/1.4-Hatc/200925194374460/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on my insurance for the same car...19yr old,male,full liscence,driving for the last 6 months under fathers name,insured by zurich!

Pick a car your interested in and go on the various insurance sites for quotes, it's easy!

I'd go with something small starting off you don't need anything big, wouldn't go over a 1.4 tbh. Try quinn direct for your first quote as the years go on you will end up changing insurers anyway.

Either way enjoy, nothing like getting your first car and having that freedom! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Makes a big difference. You're insurance could half once you get you're full licence.

Mind did anyways.

Not anymore . Rang insurance company to tell
    them that I had got my full licence and hope my premium would be cut didn't change at all . I'm 21 btw

Not anymore . Rang insurance company to tell
    them that I had got my full licence and hope my premium would be cut didn't change at all . I'm 21 btw

You might have to wait till your next renewal maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

You might have to wait till your next renewal maybe.

Came down 300 euro . That's with 3 years no claims bonus and a full licence for nearly a year . I'm only paying 1100 on a Nissan almera 1.5 so not too bad.

Came down 300 euro . That's with 3 years no claims bonus and a full licence for nearly a year . I'm only paying 1100 on a Nissan almera 1.5 so not too bad.

I would have expected a bigger fall to be honest. I went from 1800 to 900 but that was about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Hmmm... I started off in a 1.2 Punto, which was a great little car. Bought it on my 17th birthday and kept it for about a year and a half. As another poster already mentioned the gear ratio's on the Punto are very much set up for acceleration in lower gears (2nd and 3rd) which makes the car feel pretty quick from 0-60. I know people talk about the problems with Fiat car but most of those problem have been sorted out in the newer generation Punto's.

Then about 6 months after my 18th I bought a Mini Cooper S. This is an amazing car. The power of the car up to about 120mph is stunning. Forget about it from 120 up though. I would highly recommend a Cooper as a first car (perhaps a Mini one or Cooper instead of an S). The car are very safe - come with traction control etc... and stick to the roads. Naturally a Mini might not be for you but it's worth looking at.

I've recently purchased a BMW 320 M-Sport. Nice car, not as quick as a Cooper S to 60 but from 60 up it kicks ass. Oh and if you want a car that's going to help you with the women the BMW will do the job nicely! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

id go for a fiesta or the van thing,

if you look on the quinn website you can insure a carvan and your not asked what bhp it is IE golf carvan could be 90bhp - 130bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

-Chris- wrote: »
    I completely disagree. Go for a small engine, stay away from French cars, think of Polos, Corsas, Fiestas etc. Build up your no claims bonus and see what happens.

Opting for a 1.6 Focus is crazy at 19yo. Either go for something small-engined (1.0-1.4) or go whole-hog and get yourself a properly quick car and pay €4k per annum in insurance.

Im not so sure, when I was 18 getting insured for the first time (18 months ago) the difference between a 1l and 1.6 was about €30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭S-Murph

Get a junker.

Youll wreck your first car, especially when your 19 and male :D

Insurance dosnt go by engine capacity but by the car model.

Skoda Fabia are good little cars, and the insurance on them is lower than the likes of a punto of smaller engine capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Im not so sure, when I was 18 getting insured for the first time (18 months ago) the difference between a 1l and 1.6 was about €30

I always understood that the risk profile for a smaller engined car led to smaller premiums for young drivers. It's been a while since I've been a young driver though, so maybe they've changed the calculations recently.

OP, can you get a few quotes for the various cars suggested here and post the figures here? I'd think it'd be helpful for future posters for us to debunk the myths/presumptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

98/99/00 Nissan Almera 1.4 ! I'm 19, i'm on my 6th car but that was probably the best all 'rounder car of them all. Moving up in the world to a 350bhp ps13 now though :D.

It's far nicer to drive, cheaper to insure, cheaper to run, quicker and more reliable than any of the 1.4 competitors. You'll pick one up with NCT for around 1k and you'll get years of motoring out of it, just check the gearbox and the CV boots and thats all that breaks on them, and a replacement CV boot is only €13 :).

Edit: you'll get very fed up of polo's, fiestas, micras, very quickly. German and French stuff breaks, my general rule is if you go Japanese, you will not break it ! Of any cars i've had the japs are the best. A mk4 diesel golf TDi ( i.e. 130bhp ) which would seem like a good choice, will cost you an absolute wad of cash if anything goes wrong !

S-Murph wrote: »
    Insurance dosnt go by engine capacity but by the car model.

The blanket statement is correct to a certain extent but also as it is a blanket statement it is incorrect. For example I found that the second last time I was changing my car I was happily quoted on a 1.3 litre civic or corolla by most if not all insurance companies. As for 1.5 litre civic or corolla...forget about it. For the most part virtually all insurance companies quoted me on 1.6/ 1.8 litre Vectra/ Avensis/ Passat/ Mondeo and surprisignly there was quite often little or even no difference between the 1.6 litre and 1.8 litre variant of these models. However, as for 2.0 litre versions of these models I don't think I got quotes for the most part.

• Advertisement

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Moving up in the world to a 350bhp ps13 now though :D.

What is a ps13 out of curiosity Flyer1? Can't say I've heard of such a model.

Edit: Just after googling it and seen that its a Silvia. Fair play to you if you reckon you can pick up a 350bhp one thats not broken and NCT'd for anything around the 1k mark.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Nissan Almera 1.4 Sports.

Great car, bullet proof, and nippy enough for a first car.

^I dont think he was recommending that Silvia for OP lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Edit: Just after googling it and seen that its a Silvia. Fair play to you if you reckon you can pick up a 350bhp one thats not broken and NCT'd for anything around the 1k mark.

I think he's talking about the Almera ;)

I think he's talking about the Almera ;)

Aha, after reading Flyer1's post again and I see my error! Thanks for observation phutyle, I'll try not to be so trigger happy next time round:o

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

get a fiesta,93 t0 97 shape,great ole yokes,cheap as chips to run

• Advertisement

So, did you buy yet??

So, did you buy yet??
    No not yet but im currently looking at a ford focus 1.4 hatch at a local dealer!Thanks for the replies guys keep em comeing!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Avoid like plague:
    1.4 Focus
    1.4 Golf

Consider:
    1.4 Astra
    1.4 Corolla
    1.6 Focus
    1.4 206

+1 on the 1.4 206

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

twincamman wrote: »
    get a fiesta,93 t0 97 shape,great ole yokes,cheap as chips to run
    +1.. but theres no 93-97 shape didnt the model change in 96-2000 and then the 2000+ model with the revamped front grill/lights?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

JHMEG wrote: »

75bhp. It's adequate for some folks.

No not yet but im currently looking at a ford focus 1.4 hatch at a local dealer!Thanks for the replies guys keep em comeing!:)
    Lord NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:pac:

Why?I know its supposed to be slow but heard it drives like a dream!!!

Why?I know its supposed to be slow but heard it drives like a dream!!!

An Astra feels as solid, as do the Xsara and 206. I would prefer to get Swine Flu than be landed with a 1.4 Focus for 2-3 years.

An Astra feels as solid, as do the Xsara and 206. I would prefer to get Swine Flu than be landed with a 1.4 Focus for 2-3 years.
    Im a bit confused.....is it mainly the look of the car people dont like or what?Personally I think it a classy looking car!:o

Im a bit confused.....is it mainly the look of the car people dont like or what?Personally I think it a classy looking car!:o
    It looks fine, but is ovedone in silver in this country, but the car itself is a second car, not someone's full time driver. It's for city driving really.

Having driven a god few of them, I would NEVER buy either the MK1 or MK2 Focus in 1.4, in fact if I was given a free one, the first thing I'd do is put it on Carzone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement