Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

19 yr old male buying first car?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

ninty9er wrote: »
    It looks fine, but is ovedone in silver in this country, but the car itself is a second car, not someone's full time driver. It's for city driving really.

Having driven a god few of them, I would NEVER buy either the MK1 or MK2 Focus in 1.4, in fact if I was given a free one, the first thing I'd do is put it on Carzone.
    Ok you have said you would rather get swine flu and get rid of one you got for free but you have not helped me one bit!W-H-Y D-O-N-T Y-O-U L-I-K-E I-T!Im interested in this car and you're dismissing it seameingly for no reason what so ever!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Ok you have said you would rather get swine flu and get rid of one you got for free but you have not helped me one bit!W-H-Y D-O-N-T Y-O-U L-I-K-E I-T!Im interested in this car and you're dismissing it seameingly for no reason what so ever!:mad:
    Does this not tell you enough. I'm not the only one here expressing a negative opinion of the 1.4 Focus.

You'd actually be better off buying a 1l Corsa, trust me, I've owned one, and it was quicker and more engaging than my grandparents Focus (both Mk1 and Mk2).

The Focus is a relatively comfortable car, not the prettiest, but then not the ugliest. You came looking for a recommendation, and nobody here recommended the 1.4 Focus after it was introduced to the conversation.

I'm not saying it's the worst car ever, that would be the Trabant, but with that 1.4 engine, the Focus is painful to drive.

Have you driven any of the other cars recommended? If not, then I'd suggest doing so and comparing them to the Focus. The weather isn't the best for this at the moment. If I were to go back to 2006, of all the cars I test drove, my first car would probably have been a 1.4 206 instead of the Corsa and I'd just swallow the extra €300 insurnace.

It's up to you, but W-H-Y-D-O-Y-O-U-L-I-K-E-T-H-E-F-O-C-U-S?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alright, the focus is a good car to drive, it handles well, it looks good, it's a nice size etc. The one thing that kills it is the 1.4 petrol engine, it's woefully slow, i'd gladly take a focus with any other engine.
    Perhaps ninty9er is focusing too much on the 1.4 bit, i know plenty of people who are "happy" with the 1.4, i wouldn't consider them motor heads, but still, it does the job. But if it was me, i'd be looking at the 1.6 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Alright, the focus is a good car to drive, it handles well, it looks good, it's a nice size etc. The one thing that kills it is the 1.4 petrol engine, it's woefully slow, i'd gladly take a focus with any other engine.
    Perhaps ninty9er is focusing too much on the 1.4 bit, i know plenty of people who are "happy" with the 1.4, i wouldn't consider them motor heads, but still, it does the job. But if it was me, i'd be looking at the 1.6 at least.

Problem is that the only Focus in the equation here is the 1.4, I did recommend the 1.6, but it appears above the insurance threshold.

Advertisement