Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help!

• 26-12-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I bought a 2000 peugeot 206 from a private seller in april this year. Its my first car...anyway long story short I am having a problem with it where the rev counter drops to nothing while driving and i lose all acceleration...obviously very dangerous as it happened me a day or two ago on a roundabout and i barely made it off the roundabout before it died completely! Anyway when the problem first happened in around august i brought it to the local peugoet dealers who ran diagnostics and said they cant find anything wrong with it. After some research online it would seem it is a common problem with these cars but no one knows what causes it or how to fix it. So really i guess i am facing having to get rid of the car but having taken out a loan on it i need to get at least something towards a replacement, So i was wondering if anyone knew what kind of options do i have? would i get anything from scrapping it? i couldnt possibly sell it on to anyone else and screw them over like was done to me...
    I'm based in the kilkenny area.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 asheyd

bump!!

bumP!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

it would be awful if you parked it in an undesirable area...some locals might like to keep warm and light it

the thought had crossed my mind alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

asheyd wrote: »
    the thought had crossed my mind alright...

mine too at one stage with a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

finding a decent mechanic is preferable to insurance fraud....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Bring it back the the Peugeot garage and tell them they're not trying hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

jesus is there no Mod to have a word here? !!!

I and many others have been paying through the neck for insurance all our motoring lives partly because some people choose to defraud insurance companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dnme wrote: »
    jesus is there no Mod to have a word here? !!!

I and many others have been paying through the neck for insurance all our motoring lives partly because some people choose to defraud insurance companies.

Report a post if you want mods to look at them. No point just moaning about it.
    1922 wrote: »
    it would be awful if you parked it in an undesirable area...some locals might like to keep warm and light it

Warning given. Encouraging others to act illegally is against the forum charter.

Now let's keep this thread on topic, and not discuss illegal activities please.

please relax my response to the burning out post was tongue in cheek as i'm sure the original recommendation was! sorry if anyone was offended etc...

I have brought it to three different mechanics at this stage but apprently the particular fault registers no code on the ecu and the fault itself is intermittant so it didnt even happen when driven by one of the mechanics...

I really am at a total loss about what to do next....

Report a post if you want mods to look at them. No point just moaning about it.

Warning given. Encouraging others to act illegally is against the forum charter.

Now let's keep this thread on topic, and not discuss illegal activities please.

I dont want to report this, I just wanted a mod to have a word - which is precisely what I called for. Hardly a moan!

• Advertisement

As I said, bring it back to the Peugeot garage and get them to drive it until the problem re-occurs. Even if this means keeping it overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I dont want to report this, I just wanted a mod to have a word - which is precisely what I called for. Hardly a moan!
    If you want a mod to have a look then report the post - don't ask in the thread.

i am planning to bring it back to them as soon as they open again but i dont hold out much hope which is why i was asking what the other options are when your car is unroad worthy

Like I said, I dont want to report the thread, I just want the mod here to stop people posting advice that may be construed as encouraging illegal behaviour. I ddn't even want to get involved, I just seemed that the posts above were going unchallenged and unwarned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Keep bringing it back to the garage until they fix it.

Like I said, I dont want to report the thread, I just want the mod here to stop people posting advice that may be construed as encouraging illegal behaviour. I ddn't even want to get involved, I just seemed that the posts above were going unchallenged and unwarned.
    OK, i'm going to explain this again. If you have feel that a post should be looked at by a mod then use the report button. We then get a message flagging the post, and we'll have a look and take whatever action seems necessary. Do not suggest in the thread that a mod should take action, it will result in a ban for you. All clear?:)

could you be any more patronising?

how rude you are fella? ban away, I'll reset and go to one of my other alias's

Could someone delete all the noise from this thread? It's serving no purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Oh dear...

could you be any more patronising?

how rude you are fella? ban away, I'll reset and go to one of my other alias's
    Well you can't say I didn't try. You're welcome to come back in a week, but be sure to read and digest the charter first.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Could someone delete all the noise from this thread? It's serving no purpose.
    Please, not you too! It's been dealt with, i'll keep an eye on the thread from now on. Unfortunately I can't help much with the OP's question, except to say that other cars seem (according to Google) to have been cured by ECU upgrades, replacing the MAF, and replacing the stopper motor.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Please, not you too!
    You're a mod... get your delete button out!

JHMEG wrote: »
    You're a mod... get your delete button out!
    We leave posts that have resulted in infractions/bannings so that others can see what is and isn't acceptable - in this case, back-seat modding. I do appreciate the aesthetic shortcomings of this rule, but hey, I didn't make it. And next time use the report button - for someone who wants this mess deleted you're now doing a good job of adding to it, no? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

sounds like a problem i had recently enough.... have they visually inspected the ecu? for me it turned out that some clip that holds some wires connected to the ecu (i dont know much about cars!) was broken, causing said wires to come loose, particularly on rough roads/speed bumps etc, and the engine to simply cut out. it was sorted by just fixing this broken clip.

No I doubt they did but I'll make sure and get them check it this time! Thanks!

Advertisement