Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conviction & Visa for America

Options
  • 26-12-2009 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ok, I'll try and explain this briefly.

I was caught with cannabis in 2002 and received a €300 fine (including conviction on my record).

In 2004, I was planning to go to america on holiday. I did a bit of research & decided not to take the risk of "ticking no" on the Visa Waiver form.
    I didnt want to take the risk of arriving in the states & being shipped back home. I thought I would be honest.

I applied for a non-immigrant visa in the embassey in Dublin. This was about 3 weeks before I was due to fly out. At that the time the embassey was only having interviews on Wednesdays. My first interview I was told that I needed the ruling from the Court & they told me to come back the following week. They also took my thumb print. When I went back I realised that the judge had written cocaine instead of cannabis on the letter. The embassey were not impressed and said I had to get it changed.

Since I had only one more week to sort out the visa & book the flights/ hotel, I decided to not to travel.

Looking back now I know it would of been safe to travel & tick no on the Visa wavier form. But now they have my thumb print, so this is not an option..

I am planning to travel to america next summer for a week. I want to find out what my chances are. I've searched for this on the internet & fine a lot of people in the same situation. But I never seen a reply on if they were approved a visa. I would like to know if anyone out there has got a visa with drug convictions.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I was caught with cannabis in 2002 and received a €300 fine (including conviction on my record).

In 2004, I was planning to go to america on holiday. I did a bit of research & decided not to take the risk of "ticking no" on the Visa Waiver form.
    Smart action. Work with the US embassy in Dub and officially resolve this issue for the future.
    Looking back now I know it would of been safe to travel & tick no on the Visa wavier form.
    Which is something we cannot discuss on this forum, because someone could get into trouble by doing this in the future (please see form charter).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just be aware that, in the times we are living, you are very likely listed in the US Internal Security database. Ever since 9/11 the US has been practically paranoid about who with records they will let in. As already advised be upfront again with the Embassy, at the same time being mindful that they probably have recorded what you have already told them.

Advertisement