Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old games

Options
  • 26-12-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

does anyone know how well old games, particularly flightsims will work on Windows 7, im thinking of old games etc from 6/7 years ago which never seemed to work on Vista . Sorry if im asking a stupid question, but middle aged technically incompident here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Which games. I'd say all games will work. Dosbox etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

does anyone know how well old games, particularly flightsims will work on Windows 7, im thinking of old games etc from 6/7 years ago which never seemed to work on Vista . Sorry if im asking a stupid question, but middle aged technically incompident here

everything i have tried has worked, XP mode helps and there is a compatibility mode which has a few options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Come to think of it i have never managed to get X-Com or fallout 1 to run on any version of windows i have used (95+). Would i be able to play them on win7 if i use dosbox?

ah yes i remember now... i cant use dosbox to save my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I got some of the X-COM games off Steam recently for my Windoows 7 machine, they're all running through DOSBox fine for me without any tinkering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

First game I tried on w7 didn't work - and that was a new game - zombie driver , plus my network acted up like nobodies business, XP was fine after a few service packs, the only reason for new versions of windows is more $$ to MS, eminently skippable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Grimebox wrote: »
    Come to think of it i have never managed to get X-Com or fallout 1 to run on any version of windows i have used (95+). Would i be able to play them on win7 if i use dosbox?
    I have been playing fallout 1&2 and tactics on my Vista machine in compatability mode and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Grimebox wrote: »
    ah yes i remember now... i cant use dosbox to save my life!

If you purchase them through one of the online servies like steam or GOG then they'd handle most of that stuff for you. I've tried X-COM from steam on XP, Vista and Win7 and haven't had any problems. Same with any of the old games I've gotten from GOG. The X-COM pack is 10 on steam atm and fallout would problably work out around 6 euro if you get 1 and 2 from GOG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

MooseJam wrote: »
    First game I tried on w7 didn't work - and that was a new game - zombie driver , plus my network acted up like nobodies business, XP was fine after a few service packs, the only reason for new versions of windows is more $$ to MS, eminently skippable.

Yep... I just stick with Windows 3.1 for my gaming pc... They haven't made any worthwhile improvements since that. Bunch of money grubbing bastards!

Games from 6-7 years ago would all run natively in Windows, so Dosbox shouldn't be needed at all. I haven't tried many, but most have been a bit awkward unless you use compatibility mode

I ended up uninstalling my driver for my gfx card and let windows install its default VGA driver and XCOM finally worked. A rather bizarre way to get it to work. I have the collectors edition which is supposed to run in windows rather than using DOSBox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

GOG.com is worth looking at , (good old games)
    legal downloadable copies of games , usually at decent prices , and repackaged to work with modern OS's
    cant say enough good things about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

GOG.com is worth looking at , (good old games)
    legal downloadable copies of games , usually at decent prices , and repackaged to work with modern OS's
    cant say enough good things about them.

Nice link. Thx.

Advertisement