Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat-nav?

• 27-12-2009 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it's the right place for this, but I'll ask here anyway.

I got a sat-nav for chrsitmas and would like to put it on the car but I'm afraid of my car getting broken into. Now obviously I'd be taking it out of the car when I'm not in it but I think the holder is a thief magnet. Is it? I was thinking of not putting the holder in but that wouldn't be very practical. So any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Get a vent clip holder for it. I have had one for two years and when the sat nav is off of it you barely notice the two plastic clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What brand is it? I got a beanbag dash mount for my Garmin Nuvi after a few people here recommended it, and I think it's great. It doesn't move around when driving as it's quite heavy - but it's obviously easy to remove and doesn't leave a tell-tale mark anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's a navman.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Ive had a sat-nav holder in my car window for exactly one year now and i havent been broken into. You should be ok i'd say.

Sorry, I looked into the box and there's a suction-type holder for it so I could remove the holder when I'm not in the car. Thanks anyways guys! :)

Mods feel free to delete this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some clever scumbags have been known to notice the suction marks on your windscreen. A quick wipe of the area everytime you remove should sort that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was just gonna say that, beat me to it. :p

Right, will make sure I do that too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Right, will make sure I do that too :)
    But Shaaaaneeeee, it's only a Micra :rolleyes:

I know, but still :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

eoin wrote: »
    What brand is it? I got a beanbag dash mount for my Garmin Nuvi after a few people here recommended it, and I think it's great. It doesn't move around when driving as it's quite heavy - but it's obviously easy to remove and doesn't leave a tell-tale mark anywhere.

+1 the beanbag dashmount is your only man, no tell-tale signs and the sat nav stays where you put it.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But everyone* has a GPS these days. Why blame a mark on the windscreen for a car getting broken into, it's a scumbag trying to see if you were daft enough to leave anything valuable in there, GPS or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    +1 the beanbag dashmount is your only man, no tell-tale signs and the sat nav stays where you put it.....

Never heard of these mounts before. What are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

here is what i did....

took out an airvent...

5649_132271816293_675921293_3735197_1948137_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Never heard of these mounts before. What are they?
    Google Garmin beanbag mount, I think they're only for Garmins though. They're a bit expensive, but they do the job well.

I see. I have a TomTom One and judging by the shape of my dashboard, i feel like it would just slide off :) Although perhaps not.

judging by the shape of my dashboard, i feel like it would just slide off :) Although perhaps not.
    Everyone (including me) thinks that when they first look at a pic of it, but it actually works really well!

One question though. My TomTom one has the port for plugging in the charger at the bottom of the unit. This isn't a problem when it's on the suction thing on the window but if it's sitting in that beanbag, won't it fall over or not sit upright if you have it plugged into the cigarette lighter?

If I have it on in the car when driving, I keep it plugged in to the cigarette lighter as the battery seems to be shocking bad on those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

1922 wrote: »
    here is what i did....

took out an airvent...

5649_132271816293_675921293_3735197_1948137_n.jpg

That's cool. Thinking outside the box.

Do TomTom even have a beanbag mount? The Garmin one is only for Garmin units, it has a cradle on top which the unit docks into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

746watts wrote: »
    That's cool. Thinking outside the box.

thank you...just fits like it was designed for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anan1 wrote: »
    Do TomTom even have a beanbag mount? The Garmin one is only for Garmin units, it has a cradle on top which the unit docks into.
    Yes they do - there's also a 3rd party one for them - have a look on Amazon UK (where I got mine)

EDIT: Here's the one I bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002PLIMR0/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Only thing I will say is that the shape of your dash will make a difference. I still haven't found a suitable place to put it on my 06 Passat so for now I've been using the windscreen mount.

I have a 2001 Almera and I think there's a place to put it. There's like a flat-ish part of the dash with a lid thing that lifts up where I store the charger and that. It's reasonably flat.

Advertisement