Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my broadband too crap for Xbox Live?

• 27-12-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Have just got an Xbox and am wondering whether i have the ability to play (and enjoy) Xbox Live. I am with BT and have 2Mb broadband, hopefully increasing to 3Mb in March when switched to Vodafone. Am mostly looking to play FIFA online. Any use Xbox live with these speeds and find it any good? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I used to have 1mb broadband and it was fine but now I have 3. 3mb is plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

1 meg is fine too. It's your ping rather than speed that counts. A mate of mine was on 1 or 2 meg Broadband and when he switched to 7.6MB his pings more than doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭gnolan

amacachi wrote: »
    1 meg is fine too. It's your ping rather than speed that counts. A mate of mine was on 1 or 2 meg Broadband and when he switched to 7.6MB his pings more than doubled.

I don't really know what that means. Speedtest.net tells me:

663760374.png

109. Is that a good thing?!

EDIT: From pingtest.net:

6322014.png

That would appear to be a positive perhaps?

Lower is better. 109 is on the high side but 48 is fine especially with no packet loss. Seems like you could be fine.

Lower is better. 109 is on the high side but 48 is fine especially with no packet loss. Seems like you could be fine.

Any idea why there is a discrepency even though i used the same server? (Living in Dublin and used the Dublin server for the test).

I assume choosing a server on pingtest.net where the EA servers are located would give me a better idea of how it would perform on Xbox live. But to be honest, i'm not entirely sure that that is how it works.

• Advertisement

gnolan wrote: »
    Any idea why there is a discrepency even though i used the same server? (Living in Dublin and used the Dublin server for the test).

I assume choosing a server on pingtest.net where the EA servers are located would give me a better idea of how it would perform on Xbox live. But to be honest, i'm not entirely sure that that is how it works.

Was the 109 one run first? Usually when I run the test I get over 100 then 50-60 for the next and 40-something from then on. The average/later ones are more accurate.

Was the 109 one run first? Usually when I run the test I get over 100 then 50-60 for the next and 40-something from then on. The average/later ones are more accurate.

I get 109 on speedtest.net, and i get the 47 on pingtest.net. Thanks for the help, i know its late!

gnolan wrote: »
    I get 109 on speedtest.net, and i get the 47 on pingtest.net. Thanks for the help, i know its late!

No bother, run a few and if they average in or around 50ms then your current broadband is fine. 3MB Broadband should be fine too, seems it's only above that that messes up the pings for certain people. No problem, not like I've anything else on! Enjoy your online gaming. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

You'll be grand. It's fine even with 1mb from my point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If its dsl the upload is a more important figure, although 1Mbit download is fine for online, You only get one eighth of that speed up, ie 128k, You never achieve this rate though, You'll only get 85% because of the overheads of the way its delivered and the dropoff over distance etc leaving You with less than 100k off peak, which is fine. But then in the evenings when it is busy and theres contention with lots of users online and maybe another user in the house clicking links on their laptop, You'll have very little upload left and may feel momentary lags.

With only ~100k upload You need to be careful what the other pc's in the house are doing, worst extreme, You got Limewire running on that other pc, uploading in the background, using all the upload. Limewire is evil, not alone does it cripple the pc with viruses, it uploads in the background using all Your upload, when You max Your upload You cannot browse, play games or do anything. Never put Limewire on a pc, never let anyone in the house install it, never, never, never

• Advertisement
Advertisement