Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posting on threads involving teams you dont support?

• 27-12-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Why?

I read more than I post here (soccer forum), there are a few reasons for this.
    If I want to discuss my teams performance, players, form or even the current in-running match/autosy of same (particularily if they are underperforming), I would prefer to have the discussion with supporters of the same team.

I dont need to be antagonised by fans of other teams who are only interested in gloating or generally causing trouble with inflamatory and childish remarks intended only to annoy others.

Nor do I need the superficial patronising by supporters of teams who are performing better than my team, when my team wins.

I dont bother with the superthreads of teams I dont support (unless I'm looking for injuries etc for fantasy football) because I dont want to join in their celebrations when they win and I have no interest in annoying them when they dont. Nor do I feel the need to rant/rave about my own team on anothers thread.Why would I or why should I?

What makes the supporter of one team want to post on anothers thread?
    What makes them think other team supporters actually care for their input whether its insulting or patronising or not?

Interested to see what others think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't support an English team although I follow the EPL. There isn't a superthread for my team so I frequent the others.

I just love soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why?

If I want to discuss my teams performance, players, form or even the current in-running match/autosy of same (particularily if they are underperforming), I would prefer to have the discussion with supporters of the same team.

I dont need to be antagonised by fans of other teams who are only interested in gloating or generally causing trouble with inflamatory and childish remarks intended only to annoy others.

Nor do I need the superficial patronising by supporters of teams who are performing better than my team, when my team wins.

I dont bother with the superthreads of teams I dont support (unless I'm looking for injuries etc for fantasy football) because I dont want to join in their celebrations when they win and I have no interest in annoying them when they dont. Nor do I feel the need to rant/rave about my own team on anothers thread.Why would I or why should I?

What makes them think other team supporters actually care for their input whether its insulting or patronising or not?

When you're chatting to your mates down the pub do you only discuss the team you support or do you chat about soccer in general, including their rivals?

Same difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Because soccer is fun and I always want to improve my knowledge of it. Sometimes I like to know what other fans make of their own players, what the clubs youth prospects are like, what position they think they're heading in etc. And some of the best posters on this site happen to support other teams, so theres nothing wrong with wanting to communicate with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can't say I've ever posted in a any of the other team's super threads. Why would I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Can't say I've ever posted in a any of the other team's super threads. Why would I?

To contribute to the debate; to disagree or to agree with other posters; to express an opinion. Essentially for the same reason you post on any thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Why?

A lot of the posters here don't support the same team as i do , but their posts about football do be decent reading.

There are plenty of forums out there that cater soley for whatever club people support. They are 99% full of shíte for a reason.

Debate on a discussion forum , would you believe it ... :rolleyes:

What makes them think other team supporters actually care for their input

Seriously, if you have a problem with opposition fans then put 70% of the forum on ignore... :rolleyes:

whether its insulting or patronising or not?

It's a discussion forum, the name kinda gives it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

People dont view it as posting about "other teams"; more so discussing an aspect of the sport they are interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im not a fan of sites like red cafe etc

I stay on boards sf so I can have different views

that's what posting in a rivals club thread is for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Headshot wrote: »
    Im not a fan of sites like red cafe etc

I stay on boards sf so I can have different views

that's what posting in a rivals club thread is for

True that.

OP, if you don't want to hear about others bashing liverpool then head off the YMNA or whatever the main forum is for em. This is a soccer forum, you're going to get if from all sides.

I'm a Leeds fan but only occasionaly hit Waccoe for light reading due to its biased slant. I like to hear ALL opinions.

greendom wrote: »
    To contribute to the debate; to disagree or to agree with other posters; to express an opinion. Essentially for the same reason you post on any thread
    Why contribute to a debate I don't care about? I don't post in the Chelsea/Liverpool etc threads for the same reason I don't post in the Arts & Crafts forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

What the hell??
    Who left the the troll in??

Why contribute to a debate I don't care about? I don't post in the Chelsea/Liverpool etc threads for the same reason I don't post in the Arts & Crafts forum.

Good for you. Doesn't mean people who are interested in the debate on rival supporters' threads shouldn't be able do so.

staker wrote: »
    What the hell??
    Who left the the troll in??
    Are you referring to me?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Good for you. Doesn't mean people who are interested in the debate on rival supporters' threads shouldn't be able do so.
    I don't recall saying they shouldn't be allowed to?

Seriously people, calm the fúck down.

I don't recall saying they shouldn't be allowed to?

Seriously people, calm the fúck down.

Nor did I say you did.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Are you referring to me?

No, the OP...
    Can't imagine only posting on the one superthread all the time tbh, soccer's more than that imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Football would be nowhere near as good without the kind of banter that goes on with other sets of fans.

For me United come first and I will always go to the United thread first. Having said that, I love the game. I will happily stream, as I did today, a random match - Sunderland v Everton. I have zero affiliation with either team but when my team isn't playing I like to just watch and appreciate another team.

Also, with other fans having a say, you often get a more objective opinion of things.

It would be ****e if you could only post on the superthread of the team you support and to be honest I think people on here need to grow thicker skin and stop moaning about other fans posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

theres no rule about it so...ya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We try to keep the circle jerks to a minimum around here.

Xavi6 wrote: »

what does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

quarryman wrote: »
    what does that mean?

This is what I found when I Googled the term:
    Circle Jerk: When a group of males all stand in a circle and everyone masturbates the person either to the right or the left of them.

I doubt that is what Xavi was referring to mind :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

quarryman wrote: »
    what does that mean?

It means that threads aren't solely restricted to fans of a particular club, i.e. like fan sites where everyone sings from pretty much the same hymn sheet.

The difference of opinion is what makes boards such a good site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

OP, when you watch MOTD (or the corresponding highlights show for whatever team you support) do you only watch the game involving your team? I assume that you don't but if you don't support the other teams why would you watch them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Why?

see where youre coming from in away but op on these threads says it open to all posters. if posters have something constructive to say i have no problem but did notice that some posters did use some threads to get a dig in at clubs they didnt support which i didn't like at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, unless something of particular interest happens, like a manager getting sacked or whatever. I'm not that interested in the minutiae of other clubs day to day concerns.

It means that threads aren't solely restricted to fans of a particular club, i.e. like fan sites where everyone sings from pretty much the same hymn sheet.

The difference of opinion is what makes boards such a good site.

Ah, got ya.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Someone should have a look at that Barca thread.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

My love for football easily supercedes any love I have for my team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

m@cc@ wrote: »
    My love for football easily supercedes any love I have for my team.
    very noble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Why?

In other words, you don't like engaging in debate with those whose opinions may be fundamentally different from your own.

Perhaps this might surprise you, but football fans generally like discussing football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Because I have thoughts and opinions on teams other than United, and this is a good medium for expressing them.

What a ridiculous thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

In fairness I can see what the op's getting at. I'm guessing it's the trolling and obvious provocative attitude of certain posters he's referring to.

Nothing wrong with fans of any club engaging in discussion in the super threads, it's the obvious trolling that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

In fairness I can see what the op's getting at. I'm guessing it's the trolling and obvious provocative attitude of certain posters he's referring to.

Nothing wrong with fans of any club engaging in discussion in the super threads, it's the obvious trolling that's ridiculous.

Yeah well thats all well and good but it was not put across this way.

If it was a general point of trolling then I 100% agree but it was looking into the motivation of posting on 'another teams thread' which is a daft point to be raising.

used in the op:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I had to finish up the first post in a hurry last night (interrupted by noisy crowd returning home, all chat:rolleyes: ) so just to clarify a bit:

This was not aimed at the reasonable football supporters who like to engage in constructive and rational debate re any and all football matters. (Apologies to any who feel tarred with the same brush as the trolls and imature antagonists to whom Im referring)

lots of my good friends support different teams to me and we can engage in friendly banter etc (not with the intent of annoying/insulting the other ).
    I can appreciate that their teams play well/were robbed etc sometimes and they can appreciate that sometimes they were lucky/never a pen etc. and importantly vice-versa.

I also know people who I am not interested in engaging in debate with (and am sometimes embarassed to be supporting the same team as the loudmouth a$$ down in the pub or the office canteen who is totally blinkered)

Regarding the posting in others superthread I am still curious as to why? and who (is it the fans of a team who are doing better than the other team who feel the need to boast on another thread, maybe there is not alot to discuss on their own thread or is it generally fans of the same club who want to gloat or rub salt into wounds)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I had to finish up the first post in a hurry last night (interrupted by noisy crowd returning home, all chat:rolleyes: ) so just to clarify a bit:

This was not aimed at the reasonable football supporters who like to engage in constructive and rational debate re any and all football matters. (Apologies to any who feel tarred with the same brush as the trolls and imature antagonists to whom Im referring)

lots of my good friends support different teams to me and we can engage in friendly banter etc (not with the intent of annoying/insulting the other ).
    I can appreciate that their teams play well/were robbed etc sometimes and they can appreciate that sometimes they were lucky/never a pen etc. and importantly vice-versa.

I also know people who I am not interested in engaging in debate with (and am sometimes embarassed to be supporting the same team as the loudmouth a$$ down in the pub or the office canteen who is totally blinkered)

Regarding the posting in others superthread I am still curious as to why? and who (is it the fans of a team who are doing better than the other team who feel the need to boast on another thread, maybe there is not alot to discuss on their own thread or is it generally fans of the same club who want to gloat or rub salt into wounds)?

I wonder why some post more in other clubs threads than their own.

All you can do is engage with the reasonable posts, ignore the trolling ones or just show them up for trolling.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement