Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who could fill in at finance for brian lenihan?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

first off let me say i wish brian all the best and i hope he makes a full recovery. However,should his health condition degrade, who could you see filling in for him in finance? I really can't see anyone in the current administration who would have the proper cajones to take it on but knowing cowen he'll probably stick cullen in there... Could this possibly force a GE?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Michéal Martin

And no, the government was elected to a 5 year term and that is what they will serve. It's what the electorate wanted after all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i was thinking martin... But would he want to take that on? He seems okay where he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

DrumSteve wrote: »
    i was thinking martin... But would he want to take that on? He seems okay where he is?
    which martin, cullen
    he of the e voting and storage shananigans,
    how could he balance books

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CrazyMel

Meeeeeeeee :p hahahahaha

Sorwie lmao... On a serious note hopefully it wont come 2 that... &If it does an ordinary joe soap would do better then your man ye mentioned above...

DrumSteve was responding to Post 2, that was pretty clear
    Seems to be the done thing on boards that absolutely must quote the poster above you!

Saves getting posters like you confused ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

No way would they let Cullen in.

Micheal Martin prob next in line but not in the golden circle so no.

Only Dempsy left?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mary Harney is the only one with the balls for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

thanks mikemac... There is not a hope in hell i was refering to cullen. I was refering to michael martin. And if they let dempsey in there... Then i'm sorry but we really are ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Good question. Tweedle A or Tweedle B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Isn't Dermot Ahern a qualified accountant?

Thought Brian did a decent job, but worry when I look around the cabinet table.

Mary Harney possibly, but can imagine lots of ye chocking on your turkey sandwiches at that one :):p

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »

Beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

The lack of any brain power in the rest of the cabinet is going to become obvious now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

smcgiff wrote: »
    Isn't Dermot Ahern a qualified accountant?
    He's a solicitor - like Brian Lenihan.

Brian Lenihan was a barrister, not a solicitor. It's not a pedantic point, anyone in the two professions would be quick to point out the differences

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

The only one with the CV to match and available is Bertie!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Ben Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

DrumSteve wrote: »
    first off let me say i wish brian all the best and i hope he makes a full recovery. However,should his health condition degrade, who could you see filling in for him in finance? I really can't see anyone in the current administration who would have the proper cajones to take it on but knowing cowen he'll probably stick cullen in there... Could this possibly force a GE?
    With all this NAMA business in mind I'm betting a monkey would not do a worse job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

one good way to ruin your political future is to take that job on, thats why i reckon lenihan was given it in the first place.
    so im hoping micheal martin gets it, one gob****e who has his eyes on the big job and to which i would glady take up arms to stop happening, so micheal it is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dermot Ahern or Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

harney? jesus, just when we thought we were close to getting rid of her!
    that women has left some wake behind her and i dont mean litereally!
    for instance the molloy/fas dibacle can be traced directly back to her yet nothing was ever said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Though I'm a bit uneasy about the speed at which this thread has appeared on boards, I would have to say Mary Harney. She would do a better job than anyone else around the cabinet table. But I genuinely hope that this is all wasted speculation and that Mr Lenihan is fine.

browner85 wrote: »
    Ben Dunne

Finance Minister has to be a member of the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

smcgiff wrote: »
    Finance Minister has to be a member of the Dail.
    Just make certain people members. :)

Michael O' Leary.

Just make him a member. :)

Michael O' Leary.

Would love the bould Michael !!! There'd be anarchy for a few months because of the strikes, but we'd be up and running again a lot quicker because of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The only two people on the government side I feel are capable enough (best of a bad bunch situation) for finance are the two Brians unfortunately. Here's hoping Mr Lenihan isn't as bad as is thought and makes a full recovery (a) on a personal level and (b) because no one else bar Cowen can take on finance even in a caretaker role to see us through to the next general election when we can finally remove FF from government.

If Lenihan is unable to continue then we will have a substantially inferior minister take over from him. I don't reckon Martin would be up for the job tbh. I actually like the guy but I think finance is beyond his abilities. I'd hate to see Dempsey or Ahern in the role. I think maybe Harney might get the position purely because as mentioned, she's probably the only one brave enough to take it on and I'd imagine the others would be trying to dodge the bullet.

As much as I hate FF, we are stuck with them till election time and there is a serious lack of brain power there as it is. We can't really afford to dilute it even further. I'm having nightmares already about Mary coughlan or Willie o Dea getting it.

Get well soon Mr Lenihan, because failing that we need a GE or national unity government ASAP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

FAS
    The HSE
    The Government jet
    Haircuts in Florida claimed as expenses

Are you seriously suggesting she be let loose on the state finances in this enviroment .....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

Could Cowen relinquish his role as Taoiseach and retake Finance? Maybe he's the only one with a recent enough insight into finance. Then let someone else take the reins?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

RobFowl wrote: »
    FAS
    The HSE
    The Government jet
    Haircuts in Florida claimed as expenses

Are you seriously suggesting she be let loose on the state finances in this enviroment .....:eek:

She's the best of a bad bunch. She's the only one who wouldn't give into the whim of every interest group going.

We need someone strong who want take any BS. All the others will give in to pay demands at the first sign of trouble. The HSE is a mess but with anyone else in charge of that portfolio it would be a far bigger mess.

Haircuts in Florida - Government jets ok so that's bad pr but Ireland has far more serious things to be worrying aboutat the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

She's the best of a bad bunch. She's the only one who wouldn't give into the whim of every interest group going.

She [Harney] was a member of the government which for over ten years gave into the whim of every interest group going. Our current situation is just as much her responsibility as anyone's.

Advertisement