Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who could fill in at finance for brian lenihan?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Lenihans economic advisor Alan Aherne would be able to brief any new/temporary finance minister. Ultimately Biffo makes the big calls anyway so post could be merged with taoiseach role and more advisors brought in. Or government of national unity with Bruton of FG made min of finance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would think that only Mary Harney or Dermot Ahern are capable of projecting some aura of competence and keeping the IMF at bay for another while, O Cuiv if they were very stuck mainly because he can count . Any of the rest of them and the country will collapse almost overnight.

Martin simply could not handle the pressure and would crumble. Anybody who remembers Martin as Health Minister will recall that he had a head of hair and a healthy complexion when he got the job and was gaunt washed out and balding when he legged it out of there 4 years later. Harney actually volunteered for the job afterwards because nobody wanted it , she has lasted longer than Martin did.

While I don't think Martin can handle the pressure it must be said that most of the rest of the cabinet are borderline retarded but big in some small town somewhere which is how they got their seats at the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Not one person on the FF side of the house other than the two Brians is cappable of the job they simply aren't able or qualified for the position. There is an abbundance of economically talented people on the other side Bruton, Lee, Bruton, Quinn etc. Unfortunately for FG Kenny is their leader and as long as he is they will never see power. And labour simply would not get enough votes for a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

While i would love to see the government use someone with expertise in economic issues and fiscal management, that option within the ranks of the fianna fail party does not exist, and they would never use outside assistance (michael o leary, david mcwilliams, eddie hobbs) i would think dermot aherne is the most likely person to get the post. he would be deemed to be a steady pair of hands in that he has been relatively gaff free in his career so far and is less tainted than the other idiots in his party. It is my belief that 2010 will see the IMF enter the equation in Ireland, and it is something i would welcome with open arms as neither our current government nor the opposition possess the courage to confront the issues head on. The IMF will oversee a reduction in public sector numbers by 30 to 40 % and a reduction of salaries by the same percentage, expenditure on social welfare would be cut by up to half and the minimum wage would be reduced. Expenditure on capital projects would be decimated. When the IMF enters the fray it will be a long overdue bloodbath that will render bertie's celtic tiger of wanton waste a dim and distant memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

RobFowl wrote: »
    FAS
    The HSE
    The Government jet
    Haircuts in Florida claimed as expenses

Are you seriously suggesting she be let loose on the state finances in this enviroment .....:eek:

Hmmm have I been living in a different country for the last 10 years? These were the worst excesses of our elected representatives ? Mary Harney is not FF so they leak everything about her whereas the other F**Kers have everything covered up.

FAS ... what did she do there? HSE ... only because no FF minister would take it on. Government jet ... no - one else has abused that? And finally a haircut ... FFS that's nothing compared to what the other F**Kers have done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

gizmo555 wrote: »
    She [Harney] was a member of the government which for over ten years gave into the whim of every interest group going. Our current situation is just as much her responsibility as anyone's.

Under Bertie's stewardship. The PDs were on a tight leash. Remember Cafe bars ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bertie Ahern has experience and is available right now for an immediate return to the cabinet :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

heybaby wrote: »
    While i would love to see the government use someone with expertise in economic issues and fiscal management, that option within the ranks of the fianna fail party does not exist, and they would never use outside assistance (michael o leary, david mcwilliams, eddie hobbs) i would think dermot aherne is the most likely person to get the post. he would be deemed to be a steady pair of hands in that he has been relatively gaff free in his career so far and is less tainted than the other idiots in his party. It is my belief that 2010 will see the IMF enter the equation in Ireland, and it is something i would welcome with open arms as neither our current government nor the opposition possess the courage to confront the issues head on. The IMF will oversee a reduction in public sector numbers by 30 to 40 % and a reduction of salaries by the same percentage, expenditure on social welfare would be cut by up to half and the minimum wage would be reduced. Expenditure on capital projects would be decimated. When the IMF enters the fray it will be a long overdue bloodbath that will render bertie's celtic tiger of wanton waste a dim and distant memory.

Well said. It will happen, its only a matter of when? The public sector think they got it hard in this budget well get ready for 2010 Begg, O'Connor et al. The IMF will make the last budget look like a picnic and I can't wait. The unions in this country need to be put in their their place, pity the goverment or the opposition don't have the balls to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Yep..Mary Harney..i love it!!! considering the mess she has made of the health service she is ideally suited for this post and highly likely to keep the Fianna Failure/vegetable party bandwagon rolling.May God have mercy on us all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Bugnug wrote: »
    There is an abbundance of economically talented people on the other side Bruton, Lee, Bruton, Quinn etc.

Very Funny :D

• Advertisement

Bugnug wrote: »
    Well said. It will happen, its only a matter of when? The public sector think they got it hard in this budget well get ready for 2010 Begg, O'Connor et al. The IMF will make the last budget look like a picnic and I can't wait. The unions in this country need to be put in their their place, pity the goverment or the opposition don't have the balls to deal with them.
    Actually its the government that needs to be put in their place and hopefully they will at the (hopefully soon) next general election.Amazing that some people seem to think that this mess was created by trade unions.

gipo2 wrote: »
    Very Funny :D
    Actually gipo..unlike our present cowboys..these people DO actually know what they're talking about and would constitute a considerable improvement on what we have at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Actually gipo..unlike our present cowboys..these people DO actually know what they're talking about and would constitute a considerable improvement on what we have at present.

This is the same people that said the government were not spending enough just a short time ago. And now their spending too much.:D

Im always of the opinion, whats good for the unions is bad for the country, for the better part of the last 20 years the unions have pottered along on their merry way, happy in the knowledge that bench marking satisfied their members, while the tax payer picks up the tab. The unions have congratulated themselves for ensuring a virtual stike free workplace over the last two decades,but look at the cost to this country, we have paid a kings ransom and have created monsters in the form of unelected, unnaccountable arrogant union leaders who themslves are on well over 100k per year each and have the temerity to threaten that if they dont get their own way, everyone will be sorry. I agree with the michael o leary approach to unions, which is to hold them in total contempt.

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever from those in opposition that they possess the courage to make the decisions necessary to get Ireland out of this economic mess. The opposition should be showing leadership on this issue and are faliing abysmally, the government is on the ropes, the country is on its knees, we need brutal honesty from FG and Labour not about what FF and the Greens have done , but about what they would do in government. We need gilmore and kenny to spell out how many public servants they would fire, how much the public sector pay bill would be reduced by in the first 6 months in office, how much capital expenditure would be decreased. The opposition must be clear that expenditure on social services would have to fall and by how much. To be deemed top be credible kenny and gilmore need to outline in forensic detail the nature of the fiscal bloodbath needed to correct the balance sheet, along with this they must outline what indiginous industries they are going to pump investment into in order to kickstart the economy, surely there is some aspect of the green revolution that we can tap into and sell to the rest of the world. we need an irish nokia guys. I have heard nothing but moaning and whinging from labour and FG so far, no ideas, no figures...the time is perfect fopr them top show leadership through honesty, the irish people would thank them for it.. it has thus far been lacking.

Im always of the opinion, whats good for the unions is bad for the country, for the better part of the last 20 years the unions have pottered along on their merry way, happy in the knowledge that bench marking satisfied their members, while the tax payer picks up the tab. The unions have congratulated themselves for ensuring a virtual stike free workplace over the last two decades,but look at the cost to this country, we have paid a kings ransom and have created monsters in the form of unelected, unnaccountable arrogant union leaders who themslves are on well over 100k per year each and have the temerity to threaten that if they dont get their own way, everyone will be sorry. I agree with the michael o leary approach to unions, which is to hold them in total contempt.
    michael o leary is an arrogant git who in common with IBEC have no other desire than to see workers paid the lowest amount possible for the most possible output..you obviously think that this is the way to go? He in common with most bosses in industry want to maximise profits..i have no problem with this..thats why they're in business,however i do have a problem with them trying to acheive these gains off the back of the working class.The unions (such as they are) are workers only buffer to these guys and as such must be supported.You seem to forget that it was THIS government who let the cost of living in this country get to the ridiculous levels its at today where EVERY business has,is,and will continue to screw people for every product and service,thus ensuring that quite rightly wages had to follow suit.

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever from those in opposition that they possess the courage to make the decisions necessary to get Ireland out of this economic mess. The opposition should be showing leadership on this issue and are faliing abysmally, the government is on the ropes, the country is on its knees, we need brutal honesty from FG and Labour not about what FF and the Greens have done , but about what they would do in government. We need gilmore and kenny to spell out how many public servants they would fire, how much the public sector pay bill would be reduced by in the first 6 months in office, how much capital expenditure would be decreased. The opposition must be clear that expenditure on social services would have to fall and by how much. To be deemed top be credible kenny and gilmore need to outline in forensic detail the nature of the fiscal bloodbath needed to correct the balance sheet, along with this they must outline what indiginous industries they are going to pump investment into in order to kickstart the economy, surely there is some aspect of the green revolution that we can tap into and sell to the rest of the world. we need an irish nokia guys. I have heard nothing but moaning and whinging from labour and FG so far, no ideas, no figures...the time is perfect fopr them top show leadership through honesty, the irish people would thank them for it.. it has thus far been lacking.
    agree with some of this..but i firmly believe that we have reached an all time low government wise..and the only way is up..i have no faith whatsoever in our present lot who led us into this mess..what makes anyone think they can get us out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

true, asking unions to decide allocation of nations resources is like asking bankers and developers to decide economic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i asked a simple question. Who could fill in for brian? Why is this gettin dragged into the same ****e about the unions and the government? I'm sure there are a million other threads you guys could argue in. I'm not trying to mod this thread by the way its just this arguement is gettin tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

smcgiff wrote: »
    Mary Harney possibly, but can imagine lots of ye chocking on your turkey sandwiches at that one :):p
    An independent? Are you serious? The only reason she's in Health is that she was the incumbent.
    Rein-in wrote: »
    Could Cowen relinquish his role as Taoiseach and retake Finance? Maybe he's the only one with a recent enough insight into finance. Then let someone else take the reins?
    Yes, but being the leader of the party, there'd be a conflict of sorts with the person taking direction on certain matters from Cowen.

We're not quite in that situation yet but, if this were a discussion arising from an GE where Brian Lenihan hadn't been elected and the Minister for Finance was to be a returning FF TD;
    There's
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/niall-collins/
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/sean-connick/
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/john-curran/
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/michael-kennedy/
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/noel-treacy/

Niall and John are the only 2 I could speak of having met, and Niall would be the one who would do what is needed without regard to any interest group IMO.

Should it come to it, as a member of the party, I wouldn't be averse to letting someone like Richard Bruton at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hearty lolz at the suggestions of Mary Harney. I think the reality is there is no one qualified or willing to take on such a position within in the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

The country desperately needs a right-leaning Minister for Finance who can stand up to the unions, the special interest groups, and the so-called "vulnerable," curb excessive spending, and get the country back on track again. If Mr Lenihan is unable to continue in office, I think Mary Harney would be a good person for the job.

LMAO!!! :D You do realise it was the right wing governments we had that believed in no regulation which has us in this mess!!!

Typical of alot of people here...too challenged to realise the basics!! If plan A fails lets resort to plan A!!! I only hope that you're not in the firing line for the next round of cuts!

And just to qualify what I have said, though I shouldn't need to, I neither work in the public sector nor am I a member of a trade union!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No way would they let Cullen in.

Micheal Martin prob next in line but not in the golden circle so no.

Only Dempsy left?

Dermot Ahern probably would be the safest choice, Dempsey is too prone to gaffs, would be a PR disaster.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Wow, anyone actually savouring the IMF coming in is actually deluded. That would be bad news for everyone in this country. Just look what the bastards did in Argentina and Kenya.

Right-wing economics (as espoused by the IMF and World Bank) is what got us into this mess in the first place. Thinking its the magic solution that will solve all our economic and fiscal woes is seriously deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

ninty9er wrote: »
    An independent? Are you serious? The only reason she's in Health is that she was the incumbent.

Yes, but being the leader of the party, there'd be a conflict of sorts with the person taking direction on certain matters from Cowen.

We're not quite in that situation yet but, if this were a discussion arising from an GE where Brian Lenihan hadn't been elected and the Minister for Finance was to be a returning FF TD;
    There's
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/niall-collins/
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/sean-connick/
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/john-curran/
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/michael-kennedy/
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/noel-treacy/

Niall and John are the only 2 I could speak of having met, and Niall would be the one who would do what is needed without regard to any interest group IMO.

Should it come to it, as a member of the party, I wouldn't be averse to letting someone like Richard Bruton at it.

FG bailed FF and the country out before, with the thanks FG and Dukes got at that time I very much doubt they'll play scapegoat again, and right not to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

johngalway wrote: »
    FG bailed FF and the country out before, with the thanks FG and Dukes got at that time I very much doubt they'll play scapegoat again, and right not to do so.
    I said I wouldn't be averse. I didn't say it would happen or that it'd be my first option.

Willie O'Dea is also qualified for it BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CulKill

O'Dea, Cullen and Dempsey are all frightening prospects...if Dick R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

This post has been deleted.

The other bonus of that scenario will be looking proactive by promoting a new minister for health who will be spouting the requisite messages of "a fresh approach" and "new directions". Despite the recent change of heart, they can't forget their populist roots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The lack of any brain power in the rest of[/b] the cabinet is going to become obvious now.

FYP.

And anyway, it's been obvious for years; I mean, investing throwing away billions of OUR money without even reading the relevant report or investigating the corruption FIRST ?

Lenihan is a useless tosser; that doesn't mean that I'd wish illness on him, but likewise the illness shouldn't stop people from telling it like it is.

Advertisement